Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-12-2013, 04:14 PM
fishskis fishskis is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 669
Mein Auto: '11 M3 Convertible
M3 Owner Considering 640i or 650i (and a few other random questions)?

I would appreciate thoughts and opinions on the following....

I am currently driving a 2011 M3 vert and I love it. Before the M3, I had a 650 vert, and liked it a lot. Though I love the M3, I do not love: the interior (feels like a plain, outdated 3 series interior), the premium sound is weak, I miss HUD in the 650, the air conditioning is ok, but I find it lacking on very hot days, and the mileage/ range is bad.

My current plan is to do a European delivery for a 640 vert or 650 vert, both M-Sport Edition, adding Nappa leather if I get the 640. I just did a brief test drive in both cars, and I actually was more impressed with the 640 than I thought I would be; I really liked the quickness and responsiveness of the engine. And though the 650 was a beast, there was a brief lag in acceleration, and frankly, I could not take advantage of what it offers in my Los Angeles test drive. Maybe I am not as needy/ demanding as I used to be, but I'm thinking the 640i is plenty of car, particularly realistically looking at driving options in Los Angeles (and the US in general). Of course, I will miss the handling of the M3, but if anything, the 640i should be slightly better in this regard due to its reduced weight.

When I factor in the price difference, and more importantly, the fuel savings, and the increased range, I am strongly leaning in the direction of a 640i. Maybe I am getting almost practical as I get older...Yuchhh. Economics are a consideration; I got an incredible lease deal (European Delivery) on my M3, and I am spoiled by it; I am trying to be relatively prudent.

Any opinions on the 640i vs. 650i question?

Additionally, I saw the new Dynamic Digital Instrument Panel, but only briefly; I thought it was cool, but simultaneously, I am not sure I liked it; it felt video-gamey or gadgety or maybe just too different. Any thoughts on this?

Regarding colors (I know, and impossible question), I am thinking about Ivory interior, though I am worried about keeping it clean, particularly in a vert. I am thinking about Titanium Silver , though Carbon Black looks cool (but I am not crazy about blue, and it looks like it might have a lot of blue in it), but probably very difficult to maintain, which is not my strength.

Thank you in advance for the input.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 07-13-2013, 04:30 AM
TopDownInFL's Avatar
TopDownInFL TopDownInFL is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,641
Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
M3 Owner Considering 640i or 650i (and a few other random questions)?

Coming from an M3 I would think you'd be a bit disappointed in the 640 over the long run. The 650 engine provides ample unbridled power let loose in sport mode.




Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Nick / TopDownInFL (sans the "top down")

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-13-2013, 04:45 AM
mrjoed2 mrjoed2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,391
Mein Auto: 650 coupe SE, V8 4runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishskis View Post
I would appreciate thoughts and opinions on the following....

I am currently driving a 2011 M3 vert and I love it. Before the M3, I had a 650 vert, and liked it a lot. Though I love the M3, I do not love: the interior (feels like a plain, outdated 3 series interior), the premium sound is weak, I miss HUD in the 650, the air conditioning is ok, but I find it lacking on very hot days, and the mileage/ range is bad.

My current plan is to do a European delivery for a 640 vert or 650 vert, both M-Sport Edition, adding Nappa leather if I get the 640. I just did a brief test drive in both cars, and I actually was more impressed with the 640 than I thought I would be; I really liked the quickness and responsiveness of the engine. And though the 650 was a beast, there was a brief lag in acceleration, and frankly, I could not take advantage of what it offers in my Los Angeles test drive. Maybe I am not as needy/ demanding as I used to be, but I'm thinking the 640i is plenty of car, particularly realistically looking at driving options in Los Angeles (and the US in general). Of course, I will miss the handling of the M3, but if anything, the 640i should be slightly better in this regard due to its reduced weight.

When I factor in the price difference, and more importantly, the fuel savings, and the increased range, I am strongly leaning in the direction of a 640i. Maybe I am getting almost practical as I get older...Yuchhh. Economics are a consideration; I got an incredible lease deal (European Delivery) on my M3, and I am spoiled by it; I am trying to be relatively prudent.

Any opinions on the 640i vs. 650i question?

Additionally, I saw the new Dynamic Digital Instrument Panel, but only briefly; I thought it was cool, but simultaneously, I am not sure I liked it; it felt video-gamey or gadgety or maybe just too different. Any thoughts on this?

Regarding colors (I know, and impossible question), I am thinking about Ivory interior, though I am worried about keeping it clean, particularly in a vert. I am thinking about Titanium Silver , though Carbon Black looks cool (but I am not crazy about blue, and it looks like it might have a lot of blue in it), but probably very difficult to maintain, which is not my strength.

Thank you in advance for the input.
I am looking as well. Have driven the 640 & 650. I would go with the 650 hands down. The 6cyl, while very nice, has a hard time with the heavyweight 6er. Millage difference is not much. Plus better sound, smoother and you get 50% more horsepower. And you get the Nappa standard along with the bigger wheels and now with the sport Edition they throw in driver asst Pkg worth $1900
Question for you- what car had the new digital dash? I though until the M sport Edition arrives only the limited run Vert had it.

Last edited by mrjoed2; 07-13-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-13-2013, 10:20 AM
fishskis fishskis is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 669
Mein Auto: '11 M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
Question for you- what car had the new digital dash? I though until the M sport Edition arrives only the limited run Vert had it.
That's what I drove: a Frozen White limited edition vert. Unfortunately, it was a short test drive, and I was more focused on how the car drove than I was on the details of the new instrument panel.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-13-2013, 04:37 PM
R1nZX R1nZX is offline
Registered User
Location: Washington state
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: 2013 640i GC
Sounds like we think a lot alike. I just bought a 640i for most of the reasons you mentioned. I was tempted by the V-8, but the lag is definitely noticeable and annoying, and the 6 surprised me with how quick it felt. Given the extra weight and the extra ten grand, I decided I could live without the V-8. That's the first time I've ever bought a car without the biggest engine offered.

I haven't seen the new digital instrument panel, so I can't comment on that. I love the gauges in my car, though, they're very nice looking. I just wish they weren't orange at night.

Like you, I thought the white leather was stunning. I would have taken that in a heartbeat if I'd done a special order, but I bought a '13 and got a huge discount, so I had no choice on colors. One poster mentioned he had no trouble keeping it clean, but I noted another who said there were oil stains after having it serviced at the dealer. I would hope most dealers are more careful when dealing with white interiors!

I'm a bit surprised the weight didn't bother you coming from an M3, but if you liked the 640i on the test drive I think you'll love it when you own it. The M3's power is mostly up high in the rev range, so the 640 feels quicker at more normal RPMs.

Good luck on your decision.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-13-2013, 07:28 PM
fishskis fishskis is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 669
Mein Auto: '11 M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1nZX View Post
Sounds like we think a lot alike. I just bought a 640i for most of the reasons you mentioned. I was tempted by the V-8, but the lag is definitely noticeable and annoying, and the 6 surprised me with how quick it felt. Given the extra weight and the extra ten grand, I decided I could live without the V-8. That's the first time I've ever bought a car without the biggest engine offered.

I haven't seen the new digital instrument panel, so I can't comment on that. I love the gauges in my car, though, they're very nice looking. I just wish they weren't orange at night.

Like you, I thought the white leather was stunning. I would have taken that in a heartbeat if I'd done a special order, but I bought a '13 and got a huge discount, so I had no choice on colors. One poster mentioned he had no trouble keeping it clean, but I noted another who said there were oil stains after having it serviced at the dealer. I would hope most dealers are more careful when dealing with white interiors!

I'm a bit surprised the weight didn't bother you coming from an M3, but if you liked the 640i on the test drive I think you'll love it when you own it. The M3's power is mostly up high in the rev range, so the 640 feels quicker at more normal RPMs.

Good luck on your decision.
Glad I am not the only one who felt the slight hesitation in the V8; it reminded me that I've felt that in the past when comparing BMW v8s vs. an inline 6. Regarding the M3 weight issue, I am not sure which car weighs more; I have seen conflicting numbers, and I think the current number for the 640i on the BMWUSA website might be incorrect. I assume they are both about the the same weight, at a couple of hundred lbs. over 4,000 lbs. There is definitely a difference in how the two cars handle, so the 640i certainly felt heavier and less sporty, which is to be expected.

You are right about the M3s power curve; but I have really come to love the way this car drives. When you have a chance to really drive it, utilizing the high revving capabilities, be it on a track or on a great road, it is a beautiful thing. Maybe when my 6 lease is coming due, there will be some good deals on the M4.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-14-2013, 06:15 AM
TopDownInFL's Avatar
TopDownInFL TopDownInFL is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,641
Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
M3 Owner Considering 640i or 650i (and a few other random questions)?

I've never noticed any hesitation (admittedly, I've never driven an M3 for comparison) in the 650. I'm wondering is it something noticeable upon more rapid acceleration or even experienced doing a little gentle city driving?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Nick / TopDownInFL (sans the "top down")

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-14-2013, 12:23 PM
R1nZX R1nZX is offline
Registered User
Location: Washington state
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: 2013 640i GC
I drove the inline 6 and the V-8 back to back, and it seemed to me to be a throttle mapping problem. When you step on it, the 650 obviously has more power and better acceleration. But driving around town it felt heavier than it was because of the slight lag and the amount of throttle necessary to move. You may be used to it by now, or maybe it's a highly subjective thing.

I did see a magazine reviewer mention the same thing about the BMW V-8's.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-14-2013, 06:41 PM
southern6er22's Avatar
southern6er22 southern6er22 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Mobile, AL
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,547
Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
M3 Owner Considering 640i or 650i (and a few other random questions)?

I'm a huge fan of the E92 M3. I probably would've bought one had it not been for the ghastly interior. The 650i in my mind was the grown up, luxury version. I'm certainly not suggesting the 650i is a competitor for or handles like an M3, but it does okay around the twisty bits and still has enough grunt to set the road aflame.

For more of my M3 v. 650xi comparative thoughts, check out my review of the 2-Day M School on my blog circa February 2013 (it's also around here somewhere - probably easier to find on the PCD forum that is less active).
__________________

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-14-2013, 09:13 PM
JD30 JD30 is offline
Registered User
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 650 ix
I suppose if you had them on the track, the M3 would be a match for the 650, maybe even a bit faster ... but in the real world, in traffic over actual roads, the 650 has the edge, in my opinion. It is fast and comfortable, just eats miles, explodes by slower vehicles. It is quiet, the stereo is marvelous and the seat and interior are like sitting in a plush cockpit. It is a very easy car to drive very fast, very predictable and responsive.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-15-2013, 12:03 AM
leejak leejak is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 196
Mein Auto: 2012 640 ED, 2011 M3,
i too have a 2011 M3 Coupe and a 2012 640 Coupe and I too live in LA so I feel like I can offer my perspective....First, I absolutely love both cars...they are different cars.....My 2012 640 was an European Delivery, because I had to be in Germany anyway in 2012.....ED is a fantastic experience... I decided on the 640 because I felt I have no need for two very thirsty cars....I drive between 30,000 to 40,000 mile/year(like many who live in LA) so gas costs are significant.....I suppose if you drive about 10,000 miles/year, gas prices does not have as much an effect on the wallet is it does for me....The 640 is no slouch....I find the performance quite satisfying....it is no M3, but not too shabby either.......yes, it is not an M3 but if you have an M3, I don't see the need for a 650.....I test drove both before deciding on the 640...Yes, the 650 is very impressive, but like I said, if you already have an M3.......The six is a super comfortable grand touring car.....great for long distances......I go to OC several times a week, made several trips to Vegas, and Bay area and I get about 30MPG in my 640.....not bad for a big comfortable car......

I too have the ivory nappa leather(white exterior, M-sport, shadowline trim) and have had no issues with keeping it clean....I wear jeans often and have not noted any blue rubbing off into the leather.....I also do not eat in my car, so that probably helps(no in and out for me in the 640) and am very careful with beverages....

About the only thing I will be doing to the 6 is installing the BMW M exhaust....would prefer a louder exhaust note....only other mod I did is HuperOptik tint...that's it....

I have been reading about some of the oil consumption issues some 650er are experiencing.....very depressing to me...hope they find a cure, but the 640 does not seem to be affected by that problem.....My 640 consumes about a quart every 6-8000 miles.....and my M3 consumes about a quart between oil changes(13,000 miles)....

I know everyone has different needs and tastes, but I am extremely happy with my choice of the 640 as a second car(actually a third car, have 2007 CLK 350 as a daily driver....now has 115,000 on clock)

hope this helps with your decision....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-15-2013, 07:17 AM
djsaad1 djsaad1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: austin
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 701
Mein Auto: range rover
You can't go wrong either way. The only question you have to ask yourself is if you will regret not choosing the 650 in the long run. I know when you are about to purchase you have a practical view, but if you are usually not a practical person (like myself) then in a few months you might not be happy with your choice. You might need to think back if you would have been fine with a 335 or 328 instead of the M3 these past few years. If you think you would have been then the 640 should be an easy choice.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-15-2013, 07:48 AM
Leslierc's Avatar
Leslierc Leslierc is offline
Sejanus
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland - USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,298
Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDownInFL View Post
Coming from an M3 I would think you'd be a bit disappointed in the 640 over the long run. The 650 engine provides ample unbridled power let loose in sport mode.




Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
What he said!

I went from an M6 to a 750i xdrive MSport and felt like I came out ahead. Personally (note everyone that this is just my opinion), I don't understand the concept of an inline 6 powerplant in a 6 or 7 series car. Those models are the top of the food chain for BMW, so why give them less power? I did not think that the people who bought/buy those cars worried that much about fuel consumption or mileage. But, that's just my opinion.
__________________
2013 Porsche Carrera 4
2011 Panamera 4S; 2012 Mini CooperS convertible;
Prior BMWs: `05 645CiC; `07 650i; `08 M6 convertible; '08 135i; `11 750ix MSport

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-15-2013, 09:02 AM
EmM HoLLa's Avatar
EmM HoLLa EmM HoLLa is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern, VA
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 550
Mein Auto: BMW
M3 Owner Considering 640i or 650i (and a few other random questions)?

I have never driven an M3 but to add to what has already been mentioned. The 650 in Sport Mode can be pretty scary. When test driving the 650 put it in sport mode and watch the car come alive. Also put the paddle shifters to use. The V8 is magical..


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2012 650i
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-15-2013, 09:10 AM
lexvectigal lexvectigal is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: 2014 650xi GC
I think it depends on the kind of driver you are. More sedate drivers will feel the 640 is more than enough, while the rest of us will go for the bonkers 650. Both the 640 and 650 will feel heavier in city driving because, well, they're heavy cars! I drove both, and ultimately decided I wanted the engine in the 650 because it gives you ridiculous power when you ask for it, but is completely civilized when you don't need it. The engine in the 640 is great, and perfectly adequate for city driving (not counting stop-light wars ), but you will certainly probe its limits in that car.

Yes, there is a bit of hesitation from a dead stop at times - almost imperceptible. I hear this is a result of Valvetronic technology finally being introduced in the N63Tu, though I've read BMW denies any such thing. The car more than compensates for that in many other ways

The N63 engine is known for having oil issues for some drivers (I had that issue in my prior X6), but with 2,000+ miles on my 650 so far I'm still at max oil (knock wood). A V-8 with this much tech is bound to have some quirks.

Last edited by lexvectigal; 07-15-2013 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Fixed reference to engine.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-15-2013, 09:36 AM
Bönz's Avatar
Bönz Bönz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 404
Mein Auto: 650i
The 650i actually feels light when accelerating, given the TT V8's instantaneous strong low-end torque, even in Comfort mode. I have no hesitation in my pre valvetronic 2012 N63 equiped 6. (I cannot speak for the Tu). My M3 needed revs to come alive making the 6 more "drivable". Don't get me wrong, I love the M3, but the 650 is a differnet animal and I cannot imagine driving a 6 series wihtout the V8. If I want even more throttle response there's always Sport mode or I just remap the synapses in my brain to push the pedal further.

I do, however, understand the market need for the 640i and as I've stated elsewhere, it is a personal decision.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-15-2013, 09:54 AM
lexvectigal lexvectigal is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: 2014 650xi GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
The 650i actually feels light when accelerating, given the TT V8's instantaneous strong low-end torque, even in Comfort mode.
+1. The torque sold me the moment it pushed me into the back seats

I have the N63Tu engine - I will edit my earlier post to reflect that. Again, the hesitation is barely noticeable, and only if you're looking for it or are an auto journalist.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-15-2013, 10:15 AM
Alpine300ZHP Alpine300ZHP is offline
East Coast Commuter
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,014
Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by leejak View Post
i too have a 2011 M3 Coupe and a 2012 640 Coupe and I too live in LA so I feel like I can offer my perspective....First, I absolutely love both cars...they are different cars.....My 2012 640 was an European Delivery, because I had to be in Germany anyway in 2012.....ED is a fantastic experience... I decided on the 640 because I felt I have no need for two very thirsty cars....I drive between 30,000 to 40,000 mile/year(like many who live in LA) so gas costs are significant.....I suppose if you drive about 10,000 miles/year, gas prices does not have as much an effect on the wallet is it does for me....The 640 is no slouch....I find the performance quite satisfying....it is no M3, but not too shabby either.......yes, it is not an M3 but if you have an M3, I don't see the need for a 650.....I test drove both before deciding on the 640...Yes, the 650 is very impressive, but like I said, if you already have an M3.......The six is a super comfortable grand touring car.....great for long distances......I go to OC several times a week, made several trips to Vegas, and Bay area and I get about 30MPG in my 640.....not bad for a big comfortable car......

I too have the ivory nappa leather(white exterior, M-sport, shadowline trim) and have had no issues with keeping it clean....I wear jeans often and have not noted any blue rubbing off into the leather.....I also do not eat in my car, so that probably helps(no in and out for me in the 640) and am very careful with beverages....

About the only thing I will be doing to the 6 is installing the BMW M exhaust....would prefer a louder exhaust note....only other mod I did is HuperOptik tint...that's it....

I have been reading about some of the oil consumption issues some 650er are experiencing.....very depressing to me...hope they find a cure, but the 640 does not seem to be affected by that problem.....My 640 consumes about a quart every 6-8000 miles.....and my M3 consumes about a quart between oil changes(13,000 miles)....

I know everyone has different needs and tastes, but I am extremely happy with my choice of the 640 as a second car(actually a third car, have 2007 CLK 350 as a daily driver....now has 115,000 on clock)

hope this helps with your decision....
This is the most helpful commentary in my opinion. I recently debated the 640/650 vs. M3 vs 550 question (Leslierc should remember) and I ended up with the M3. However, my decision was really based on my desire to own the first and last V8 M3 coupe. I knew I could get a 6 later, but the M3 was now or never. Had the M3 not been now or never I probably would have ended up in the 640 coupe. The 640 coupe does have sufficient power and the slightly more powerful N55 combined with a lower curb weight makes the 640 much quicker than the 535 while delivering highway fuel economy around 27-28 mpg. The 650 is a rocket, but the 640 coupe is fine. However, the OP wants a 640 convertible. That is where I would say one must jump to the 650. The 640 engine feels sluggish in convertible form (I drove one for 30 miles in mixed driving and believe me the difference in power is quite obvious). Onto the other questions....oil consumption should not be an issue. It seems that the higher oil consumption is tied to those that do a lot of city driving and the OP mentions he does mostly highway. The ivory interior is quite nice, but I would NEVER get a color this light in a convertible. It is almost white and will be nasty in a couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
What he said!

I went from an M6 to a 750i xdrive MSport and felt like I came out ahead. Personally (note everyone that this is just my opinion), I don't understand the concept of an inline 6 powerplant in a 6 or 7 series car. Those models are the top of the food chain for BMW, so why give them less power? I did not think that the people who bought/buy those cars worried that much about fuel consumption or mileage. But, that's just my opinion.
I see your point, but I really think it was about increasing sales. Some people want to pay less money and burn less gas and the 640/740 gives those people an option whereas those people might not buy the car if they did not have that 6 cylinder engine option. Also, it does help CAFE and I assume that is part of the reason for offering it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexvectigal View Post
I think it depends on the kind of driver you are. More sedate drivers will feel the 640 is more than enough, while the rest of us will go for the bonkers 650. Both the 640 and 650 will feel heavier in city driving because, well, they're heavy cars! I drove both, and ultimately decided I wanted the engine in the 650 because it gives you ridiculous power when you ask for it, but is completely civilized when you don't need it. The engine in the 640 is great, and perfectly adequate for city driving (not counting stop-light wars ), but you will certainly probe its limits in that car.

Yes, there is a bit of hesitation from a dead stop at times - almost imperceptible. I hear this is a result of Valvetronic technology finally being introduced in the N63Tu, though I've read BMW denies any such thing. The car more than compensates for that in many other ways

The N63 engine is known for having oil issues for some drivers (I had that issue in my prior X6), but with 2,000+ miles on my 650 so far I'm still at max oil (knock wood). A V-8 with this much tech is bound to have some quirks.
I agree with your comments on 640 vs 650. On the oil consumption issue it appears that the rate of oil consumption is higher for those that do city driving and lower for those that do mostly highway. My x5m has the S63 and it too has a habit of burning a lot of oil for some people. Mine burned a quart in the first 900 miles (all city) and then it has not burned a drop since topping it off at 900 (at 5900 now). I suspect it is because the car sees mostly highway driving and the break in was done properly. Forum member Dunderhi has had the same experience in his cars and he has a N63tu and S63.
__________________
~ 14 435 (with MPPK) My daily beater
~ 14 x3 35i Hers
- Previous BMW's - Way too many to list here (17)

Last edited by Alpine300ZHP; 07-15-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-15-2013, 12:21 PM
lexvectigal lexvectigal is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: 2014 650xi GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
I see your point, but I really think it was about increasing sales. Some people want to pay less money and burn less gas and the 640/740 gives those people an option whereas those people might not buy the car if they did not have that 6 cylinder engine option. Also, it does help CAFE and I assume that is part of the reason for offering it as well.
I would venture that CAFE may have been the primary reason for the offering. It's also the reason BMW persists with diesel options despite the tepid reception and low sales here in the U.S. (I personally like them and once owned a 335d). BMW offers many thirsty models, and needs cars like the 640 to offset them to bring the fleet mpg figure up. That said, my 650 gets exactly the same mpg as the S4 I traded in for it - which was down 2 cylinders and 100 hp, and weighed almost 700 lbs less!

Last edited by lexvectigal; 07-15-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-15-2013, 01:02 PM
R1nZX R1nZX is offline
Registered User
Location: Washington state
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: 2013 640i GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
Personally (note everyone that this is just my opinion), I don't understand the concept of an inline 6 powerplant in a 6 or 7 series car.
Remember that with direct injection and forced induction today's 6 cylinder engines make more horsepower than V-8s did just a few years ago. Look at AMG releasing their first 4 cylinder later this year; it makes more power than the majority of 6s, and several 8s!

And with traffic congestion getting worse, many people live where they can rarely take advantage of the power offered by a modern V-8.

CAFE may have been the reason, but BMW offers two engine choices on most of their models, so why not the 6 and 7? It used to be your choice of a V-8 or a V-12, now it's a turbo DI 6 or 8.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-15-2013, 01:13 PM
southern6er22's Avatar
southern6er22 southern6er22 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Mobile, AL
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,547
Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
M3 Owner Considering 640i or 650i (and a few other random questions)?

Fair point. Looking at the F12/13 v. The previous 6er, the performance figures show that the 640i is as fast as the old 650i, the 650i is as fast as the old V10 M6, and the new M6 has a bomb under the engine. I just can't wait for these cars to be built with carbon fiber.
__________________

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-15-2013, 02:59 PM
lexvectigal lexvectigal is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: 2014 650xi GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1nZX View Post
And with traffic congestion getting worse, many people live where they can rarely take advantage of the power offered by a modern V-8.
When you have a V-8, you find opportunities to use it. Midnight on I-80 is one such opportunity
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Leslierc's Avatar
Leslierc Leslierc is offline
Sejanus
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland - USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,298
Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1nZX View Post
Remember that with direct injection and forced induction today's 6 cylinder engines make more horsepower than V-8s did just a few years ago. Look at AMG releasing their first 4 cylinder later this year; it makes more power than the majority of 6s, and several 8s!

And with traffic congestion getting worse, many people live where they can rarely take advantage of the power offered by a modern V-8.

CAFE may have been the reason, but BMW offers two engine choices on most of their models, so why not the 6 and 7? It used to be your choice of a V-8 or a V-12, now it's a turbo DI 6 or 8.
All good points. Having grown accustomed to vehicles with 400+ horsepower, it would be a hard habit to break.
__________________
2013 Porsche Carrera 4
2011 Panamera 4S; 2012 Mini CooperS convertible;
Prior BMWs: `05 645CiC; `07 650i; `08 M6 convertible; '08 135i; `11 750ix MSport

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-16-2013, 03:47 AM
Bönz's Avatar
Bönz Bönz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 404
Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1nZX View Post
Remember that with direct injection and forced induction today's 6 cylinder engines make more horsepower than V-8s did just a few years ago. Look at AMG releasing their first 4 cylinder later this year; it makes more power than the majority of 6s, and several 8s!

And with traffic congestion getting worse, many people live where they can rarely take advantage of the power offered by a modern V-8.
Agreed and very good points, but remember with DI and forced induction today's 8 cylinder engines make a $hitload of power. As far as taking advantage of the power, my 650i came with really good brakes too.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-16-2013, 04:26 AM
Alpine300ZHP Alpine300ZHP is offline
East Coast Commuter
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,014
Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
M3 Owner Considering 640i or 650i (and a few other random questions)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
All good points. Having grown accustomed to vehicles with 400+ horsepower, it would be a hard habit to break.
You are correct. There is no replacement for displacement.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
~ 14 435 (with MPPK) My daily beater
~ 14 x3 35i Hers
- Previous BMW's - Way too many to list here (17)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms