Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-28-2012, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: F11 530d
There is a car software update out for the F10/F11 - there are rumours its fixed the problem.... But onlky a rumour because BMW never admit there have been problems - they just bring out software upgrades for fun

To be fair, if you check the phone compatibility tables, they admit to loads of issues (or is that because they are so bad they just have to fess up?)

Anyway, will keep you posted if it fixes it.

It's a 3 hour upload at the dealer and updates the entire engine management and everything - not the use one you can do for phone interface. Not been aware of any downsides yet, and if anything the gearchanges are better. It does reset a few things like unlock preferences and day-time running lights, but not everything (like audio equaliser for example, or favourite buttons)
Old 07-28-2012, 01:06 PM

By the way, it was suggested I try the iPod white lead, rather than the BMW Y-cable at one point in the process.

Given that the Y cable is so pricey, I'd suggest you don't bother wasting your money on it, as there is now clearly no benefit in having it. They have quietly made the interface compatible with the std iPod cable (I was told by the dealer), but will happily take 45 off you for theirs if you choose. It is nice and chunky and short so its tidier in there, but really, its worth about a fiver if there is no technical reason to have it, which there appears not to be, and even when there was it was a rip off.

Luckily I got mine free, for reasons I won't bore you with.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport
Its the iPod not the car

Had the latest generation nano in the car using a non-apple branded connector for 14 months without a problem. I wanted my entire collection for a long trip so bouGht the classic. Worked for about a week then started experiencing the random shut downs. Tried all the tricks same problem. I am wondering if the problem is not that of all the iPods, this is still the only one with a hard rive. Going back to my nano for now.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:30 PM

Mine had the car software upgrade - no problems for 3 weeks. Just when I thought it was fixed, crash!

More or less fixed itself this time too.

So the software update probably helped, but not enough - come on BMW

Best I can say is that at this frequency of failure its tolerable, but err I paid for the car and 700 for the pro-audio - really it should work 100%.

And I may be starting another thread - audio system "crackles" during quiet moments - perhaps its the vinyl mimicking function , but I never had a vinyl mobile phone!! (Yes the problem is present with music and phone, so I know it aint my ipod or my music collection). Oh dear BMW/Harmon, do you know how to build an audio system that works?
Old 08-23-2012, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT 550i SD View Post
Ive had the same issues with my iPod classic.

This seems to occur most frequently when my entire song list is selected (6000+ songs) and I have selected random in iDrive. iPod will ususally work fine for a while, but for no apparent reason will freeze. iDrive screen will show iPod not connceted, but face of iPod will show BMW logo appearing connected and indicating song that is "playing".

Resetting iPod willl fix it, but I find that the car must be shut down, car must cycle off - computers shut down, then when restarted iPod will then reconnect and work.

Ive also noticed when trouble shooting this after Ive unfrozen the ipod that the settings have changed, the replay whole Ipod is selected to yes.....somehow the BMW Combox or iPod made this change . I always then turn it off, but its on again when I check.

So what the heck is gong on? is this a BMW or Apple issue?
seems like this is still a problem- is with mine too.

as i suggested above this solution works every time ( but somehow BMW combox changes the settings):

go to settings on iPod - switch both shuffle and repeat to OFF. iPod will now work.
2011 550i : Alpine White l Black Dakota l Anthracite wood:M Sport pkg l Sport Trans l Active steering l Conven pkg l Driver asst pkg l Prem pkg 2 l 4 zone AC l Side/Top view cameras l HUD w/6wa ext blk pnl l BMW Media adptr /apps l M Decklid Spoiler l Clear Bra l V1 Radar; Ordered 4/9/11, Delivered 5/21/11

Retired BMW's;
-2008 550i MSport: deep Sea Blue/ Black, Loaded
-2005 545i : Silver Gray/ Auburn, Loaded
-1993 3215iA : Jet Black/ Black, Loaded[/FONT]

Old 08-24-2012, 12:25 AM

The combox can make these changes - I know that was possible by an aftermarket kit I had on my last car (which cost 100 and worked ....), so it will be possible for the BMW to do this too - it fact it has to to enable shuffle I presume.

So I think the issues is with BMW, especially as the software upgrade to the car reduced the problem for me.

I also have >6000 songs and if I had to suggest a time when it was most a problem, I think I would agree its when you play the entire collection on shuffle.

I do get other odd anomolous behaviour from time to time - playing the previous search list of songs for example, but if you reselect the search again (whihc is still remembered) its all fine. A niggle that I can live with (not even reported it to BMW once - you have to pick your fights)
Old 08-26-2012, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i
Mine was my USB cable was damaged. Had to used an OEM one. Now no issues at all
Old 11-29-2012, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: 520 touring
I also have issues, bought a y cable from Amazon 7.99 worked but no control via the steering wheel, with either 160gb and 80gb iPod classics, so I have just purchased a BMW cable at 43.00 got home same situation.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 520d
Smile Thanks

I'm new here. I just wanted to say thanks to all of you guys for a very informed thread.

I have been tearing my hair out with this problem on a 160Gb Classic with over 7000 tracks & an apple white cable in a 520D bought Oct 2011. 18 months of intermittent BMW/iPod hell.

Anyway after 3 soundless days on the road this weekend, I read this thread 10 mins ago, I rebooted said iPod, turned off repeat (shuffle was already off) on the iPod and incredibly, normal sound resumed instantly!!!!

BMW Upgrade here I come....

Thanks all, again, it's got me playing music again at least.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by sziko View Post
I'm new here. I just wanted to say thanks to all of you guys for a very informed thread.

I have been tearing my hair out with this problem on a 160Gb Classic with over 7000 tracks & an apple white cable in a 520D bought Oct 2011. 18 months of intermittent BMW/iPod hell.

Anyway after 3 soundless days on the road this weekend, I read this thread 10 mins ago, I rebooted said iPod, turned off repeat (shuffle was already off) on the iPod and incredibly, normal sound resumed instantly!!!!

BMW Upgrade here I come....

Thanks all, again, it's got me playing music again at least.
Nice- but I have done the same MULTIPLE times...and then WHAM..the iPod locks up or isnt recognized by combox...AGAIN. sorry to yell...just pisses me off.

yes- have latest BMW SW, just updated , iPod SW latest version

I dont think my 6000 song library will fit on a touch, but I will look and see how many Gb my library has consumed and if it will fit on a touch Im gonna abort the classic..

stay tuned
2011 550i : Alpine White l Black Dakota l Anthracite wood:M Sport pkg l Sport Trans l Active steering l Conven pkg l Driver asst pkg l Prem pkg 2 l 4 zone AC l Side/Top view cameras l HUD w/6wa ext blk pnl l BMW Media adptr /apps l M Decklid Spoiler l Clear Bra l V1 Radar; Ordered 4/9/11, Delivered 5/21/11

Retired BMW's;
-2008 550i MSport: deep Sea Blue/ Black, Loaded
-2005 545i : Silver Gray/ Auburn, Loaded
-1993 3215iA : Jet Black/ Black, Loaded[/FONT]

Old 07-11-2013, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: 320d, 120d
Too many Tracks/Songs

I have had the same problems and I dont think its an iPod Classic issue specifically, more an issue of how many songs you have on it. I think thats why the touch and nano are fine because they dont have that much storage. Also thats why I always get a lockup if I try to search through song titles. I suspect BMW has an issue in their software coping with that number of songs in the database.

Seedar.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 F10 535i Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedar View Post
I have had the same problems and I dont think its an iPod Classic issue specifically, more an issue of how many songs you have on it. I think thats why the touch and nano are fine because they dont have that much storage. Also thats why I always get a lockup if I try to search through song titles. I suspect BMW has an issue in their software coping with that number of songs in the database.

Seedar.
80gb iPod classic using apple USB cable with 5000 tracks (somewhere around 50gb) has worked ok for 2yrs. Occasionally it locked up, but a hard reset usually fixes it. Need to make sure it is fully charged when you put it back in the car. Just used ITunes Match to upgrade library to 256kbps so file sizes are larger but track total is the same. Really notice the sound quality improvement with 256kbps VBR on the premium sound system.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:55 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Nb

One thing that is important is to use A GENUINE APPLE CABLE.

My iphone WOULD NOT WORK with a generic one.

Food for thought.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:37 AM

Hi,

Yes I am using a Genuine BMW Y cable. If you have more than 5000 songs, what happens when you search for a song ? What version of iDrive do you have ?
Old 07-15-2013, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 F10 535i Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedar View Post
Hi,

Yes I am using a Genuine BMW Y cable. If you have more than 5000 songs, what happens when you search for a song ? What version of iDrive do you have ?
Here is a bunch of detail to help figure out what might be different in your situation. I am using a genuine Apple white cable connecting the Ipod to the USB port in the center armrest (not the BMW Y cable). IDrive is 04/2011 vintage, software versions;

Multimedia; MX-003.005.004
Telephone; TX-003.005.006

IPod
Songs; 4954
Capacity; 74.3Gb
Available; 30.7Gb
Version 1.3
Format; Windows

Once I install the Ipod, it uploads the data for Search; Genre, Artist, Composer, Album, Tracks and also uploads Playlists so it is available instantly in the IDrive screen, it does not read from the IPod to search. When the upload of search data is complete (never noticed how long this takes so its not significant) a BMW Roundel appears on the IPod screen and it says underneath "Ok to Disconnect". I usually leave the IPod in the car for about a month at a time and take it out periodically to sync my current song library, playlists, etc. to ITunes.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the operation of the IPod, but I included "BMW Apps" (6NR) on my order, an option that was available at the time. Since the Roundel appears on the Ipod screen, I suspect there is some software in the car that makes this happen, I'm not sure if it is BMW Apps or something else.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:23 PM

Thanks for that extra data. I think there are two differences in your situation.

1/ You have fewer tracks
2/ You are using the white iPod cable instead of the Y cable.

Will be interesting to see if you get the problem when your music collection grows further, mean while I will give the ipod cable a go. In an earlier car that didnt work at all so havent tried it with the more recent iDrive so will try that again.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: F11 520d
Hey Guys.

Guess what. Bought my F11 just a month ago and already had 2 instances of ... Ipod failure. Got the ipod classic 80GB with +/- 10000songs on it.

Went to the dealer and had some interesting feedback.
First of all my battery was only charged for 28% (bought car second hand and was not driven for a couple of months) and under 30% the car shuts down some electrical functionality. I fully recharged + rebooted the ipod + changed settings to no repeat and no shuffle + recharged battery fully. Next morning ipod started right after plugging it in.
Hope troubles stay away and possibly it might help some of you.

If you would consider charging your battery, do it for sure with the plugs under the hood and not in the trunk.
Nice detail: At the dealer they also mentioned that BMW only 'guarentees' ipod working until max 32GB. They also advised me to get the infamous Ycable (100!) for better sound quality. Luckily they have it on stock and they will let me try it out before buying it.
I will check it out as i am not that blown away with the sound (got the professional though).

Rgds,
H
Old 02-03-2014, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i, 2012 X5
iPod Classic vs BMW iDrive

My partner and I a recent BMW converts (from Mercedes) and experience intermittent issues with our iPod Classic (160gb) devices and iDrive. From reading the posts here, it would appear we are not alone in our plight.

We have a 2012 X5 3.5d and a 2012 650i convertible. Both experience the same issue, which occur sporadically. Our iPods are 160gb iPod Classics, both running current Apple firmware, both synchronized to the same iTunes database which contains ~12000 song titles.

Basically, the iPod "locks up" or "freezes", typically mid-song. This appears to occur randomly, and does not appear to be affected by song-changing, "random" setting, or any other factor that I can determine. Also, the same occurs whether I am using BMW's ($100) iPod "Y" cable, or the standard 30-pin connector iPod charge/sync cable. I have found (or maybe it's just my imagination) the iPods lock-up less frequently when using the 30-pin charge/sync cable in place of BMW's "Y" cable. As an additional "plus", you get album art on the car's display if you use the 30-pin cable.

The only reliable method I have found to resolve the issue is:
1 - unplug the iPod
2 - select another audio source via iDrive.
3 - reset the iPod
4 - reconnect the iPod
5 - WAIT 15-20 minutes (maybe allowing iDrive to "sync" to the iPod?)
6 - reselect the iPod source via iDrive.
7 - WAIT until music starts to play before even thinking about selecting a specific playlist, song, genre, etc.

I've even gone as far as to verify both vehicles are running the most current firmware offered by BMW, as found, downloaded, and updated from the ConnectedDrive Software Update webpage.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humesrw View Post
My partner and I a recent BMW converts (from Mercedes) and experience intermittent issues with our iPod Classic (160gb) devices and iDrive. From reading the posts here, it would appear we are not alone in our plight.

We have a 2012 X5 3.5d and a 2012 650i convertible. Both experience the same issue, which occur sporadically. Our iPods are 160gb iPod Classics, both running current Apple firmware, both synchronized to the same iTunes database which contains ~12000 song titles.

Basically, the iPod "locks up" or "freezes", typically mid-song. This appears to occur randomly, and does not appear to be affected by song-changing, "random" setting, or any other factor that I can determine. Also, the same occurs whether I am using BMW's ($100) iPod "Y" cable, or the standard 30-pin connector iPod charge/sync cable. I have found (or maybe it's just my imagination) the iPods lock-up less frequently when using the 30-pin charge/sync cable in place of BMW's "Y" cable. As an additional "plus", you get album art on the car's display if you use the 30-pin cable.

The only reliable method I have found to resolve the issue is:
1 - unplug the iPod
2 - select another audio source via iDrive.
3 - reset the iPod
4 - reconnect the iPod
5 - WAIT 15-20 minutes (maybe allowing iDrive to "sync" to the iPod?)
6 - reselect the iPod source via iDrive.
7 - WAIT until music starts to play before even thinking about selecting a specific playlist, song, genre, etc.

I've even gone as far as to verify both vehicles are running the most current firmware offered by BMW, as found, downloaded, and updated from the ConnectedDrive Software Update webpage.
Nice to know that their software is internationally consistently poor.

I wonder if it affects the 160GB version most. Mine is a 160GB version. I wish they would fix it - no updates for the firmware for 15 months now. They really are a lazy bunch when it comes to software issues. (even arrogant and conceited perhaps?) But surely in the USA you don't take this kind of terrible service? Print this thread off and get your lawyer on their tale!!
Old 02-03-2014, 01:15 PM
GhostWorks

Mein Auto: E60 530i ES
I use my 160GB iPod Classic Gen7 , no problems yet but I wouldn't change to a touch as the codecs chip in the classic is better and storage is better ...

I use ALAC codec files ( apple lossless ) High def music , sounds better from the classic

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-03-2014, 02:03 PM

I am not suggesting an issue with the iPod - it's the car that's faulty. Didn't have the issue with my old car.

BMW only support 256kbit officially. Although changing my whole collection to 256 made no benefit.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:35 PM
GhostWorks

Mein Auto: E60 530i ES
It will be a issue between the USB/aux module or combox module ( combox is installed in September 2010 onwards , however the NBT as combox built in )

My GT F07 is pre September 2010 so no combox , I've had iPod go flat once and froze ( reconnected and was fine ) , no issues like what's been mentioned in this thread

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-06-2014, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i ZHP
I just bought a used 2011 535i, and am having these problems with my iPod classic 60GB (circa 2005) using a white Apple cable. When I came out to the car the center console USB plug just says Searching. Resetting the iPod worked one time, but not the most recent iteration. I will have to look into the shuffle and repeat settings, as I am fairly certain both are turned on right now.

EDIT: I turned off shuffle and repeat on the iPod, but it still locked up on the second try. I ordered a BMW y-cable on Amazon for $10. Is there any definitive solution here? People have suggested an iTouch, but is that no kidding trouble free? Has anyone used a Nano? You can get a 16GB Nano for $50 less than a 16GB iTouch, and I have no need for all the additional functionality of games and apps and whatnot.

'04 330i (ZHP)
'11 535i

Last edited by mko9; 05-11-2014 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Update
Old 05-18-2014, 11:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
Am reading this string for the first time, but have been experiencing the same issues in my '13 X3 (F25). Using the 160G Ipod Classic. Using the original Apple cable. I experience occasional freezes/lock ups and eventually (by resetting the Ipod) I can get the music playing again. I have about 5000+ songs on the Ipod, but it is NOWHERE near full (about 1/4 full). I have wiped the Ipod and reloaded the IOS twice (so far). Still hasent solved my biggest issue - which is the S L O W play! Drives me crazy. I know the beat/speed the songs are supposed to play! And when they don't, its rather irritating. Generally in a real minute, only 53 -55 seconds of music plays. I can compare the digital timer display to real clock time and see the difference. This did not used to happen. For a while, after I bought the car new, there was no speed pronblem, but there were occasional freezes. Almost never during a song, but after the song ended and before a new one started. SIGH... I see no real solution here (yet) But I am wondering if the issue COULD be related to the bit rate in the mp3 files. I generally have my songs encosded at VBR between 160K and 256K (most songs average aroung 200K) Any thoughts on that???
Old 05-18-2014, 11:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
AND... oh btw - the Ipod plays just FINE with headphones or when plugged into any other adaptor/speaker system - the only issues are with the BMW!!!