Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-06-2013, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550i
Sigh, I'm now part of the drivetrain malfunction club (I've got a 550i w/ Dinan S2 and 13k miles). I got my warning last Friday when I pulled out of my driveway and I immediately took it into the dealer. They didn't get to look at the car until Monday but when they did, they knew it was the fuel injectors and went ahead and replaced all eight of them. However, during the re-programming, they realized that my DMV (spelling??) was bad and had to be replaced. The DMV (spelling??) is apparently the brain of the car and has to be ordered from Germany so now it doesn't look like I'll get the car back until next week. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: MDX, GS300, 2011 535xi
Drive train malfunction!

My 2011 535xi has begun warning me "drivetrain malfunction, drive moderately." Started about 10 days ago. Now happens repeatedly whenever I drive unmoderately (hit the accelerator), regardless of speed. If I drive keeping the RPMs relatively low, it does not go off. Seems to drive fine, but with a slight reduction in power. I have scheduled service visit for Monday................
Old 03-28-2013, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550i
It seems like the common issues (that I've seen around the forums) that are causing the warning are either fuel pump (both HP and LP) or fuel injectors. Mine turned out to be the injectors and they replaced all eight of them. They also had to replace the DME since it got shorted somehow during the process. My car ended up being in the shop for 20 days since they had to get all types of approvals to get the DME. I've had my car back for about a month and everything is back to normal.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj View Post
My 2011 535xi has begun warning me "drivetrain malfunction, drive moderately." Started about 10 days ago. Now happens repeatedly whenever I drive unmoderately (hit the accelerator), regardless of speed. If I drive keeping the RPMs relatively low, it does not go off. Seems to drive fine, but with a slight reduction in power. I have scheduled service visit for Monday................
No offense but you should have taken it in asap. The first time that happened to my 740(N54) they had to replace a cylinder coil, the next time it was the O2 sensor, the third time it was the computer control module.

We're not driving hondas... I wouldn't ignore a check control problem and keep driving like normal.

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:28 PM

I did take it in the first time it went off. The SA suggested setting up an appointment so that a loaner would be available.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:16 PM

Followup

Turned the car in today - after checking it out, I was told the problems were due to a faulty waste gate. Part will be in tomorrow and car will be ready for pickup tomorrow.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Received the drivetrain malfunction message earlier today at about 10 minutes into a drive. The car began shaking and shuddering out of nowhere, worse so when stopped. I pulled over, turned off the car and let it sit for 15 minutes. The message didnít reappear on startup, but Iíve driven it very very slowly since. Not happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	371547   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	371548  
Old 04-15-2013, 10:49 AM

Looks like a faulty waste gate is one of many potential reasons. I have had no issue since my repair. But my car just had reduced power - no shudder. Hopefully yours will be an easy fix too.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 AW 535i
The shaking and error appeared when I started the car after filling-up on Saturday. I shut it down, waited and then it happened again on start up. No power on the drive to the dealership. I showed the SA and it happened again at the dealership. When I told them what happened they said it was bad gas but it has had nothing but Chevron 91 since birth. They called today to say it was fixed and it was a bad solenoid. Not sure how. They were bringing it around for pickup and it happened again. I suppose it wasn't the solenoid.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdance View Post
The shaking and error appeared when I started the car after filling-up on Saturday. I shut it down, waited and then it happened again on start up. No power on the drive to the dealership. I showed the SA and it happened again at the dealership. When I told them what happened they said it was bad gas but it has had nothing but Chevron 91 since birth. They called today to say it was fixed and it was a bad solenoid. Not sure how. They were bringing it around for pickup and it happened again. I suppose it wasn't the solenoid.
Bring a lemon when you go to pick it up.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 AW 535i
Overnighted Vanos Solenoid and replaced - error came back. Overnighted both Vanos Units to be replaced - when they were replacing the Vanos units they discovered that two of the bold heads had broken off and were in the oil pan. Overnighted bolts and replaced bolts and vanos. Error returned. Coil in cylinder 6 was broken. Replaced. Error returned. Coil in Cylinders 2 and 5 not properly installed. repaired. After three drive cycles they finally got the check engine lights and errors to clear. Picked it up today and it stalled twice and has a slightly rough idle. They state that there is nothing they can do because there are no faults stored. They notice the slightly rough idle but don't know how to fix it.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i/2007 328i Coupe
Tdance, Your post really instills a lot of confidence in the quality of our engines and how they are put together.

I hope they can figure out how to fix the idle issue without a fault being recorded.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Drivetrain malfunction warning

Quote:
Overnighted Vanos Solenoid and replaced - error came back. Overnighted both Vanos Units to be replaced - when they were replacing the Vanos units they discovered that two of the bold heads had broken off and were in the oil pan. Overnighted bolts and replaced bolts and vanos. Error returned. Coil in cylinder 6 was broken. Replaced. Error returned. Coil in Cylinders 2 and 5 not properly installed. repaired. After three drive cycles they finally got the check engine lights and errors to clear. Picked it up today and it stalled twice and has a slightly rough idle. They state that there is nothing they can do because there are no faults stored. They notice the slightly rough idle but don't know how to fix it.
No codes no problem is a bull**** answer. They acknowledge the problem, tell them you are leaving it there until they fly someone in to fix, you will not accept a car that could leave you stranded.

Escalate if necessary.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 07-15-2013, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750LI
2009 750li drivetrain

36,000miles and driving on the highway and my drivetrain malfunction light came on this morning. Car is at the dealer and I hope everything will be OK, so far I'm told fuel injectors need to be replaced. Anyone else had issues with this.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schof View Post
36,000miles and driving on the highway and my drivetrain malfunction light came on this morning. Car is at the dealer and I hope everything will be OK, so far I'm told fuel injectors need to be replaced. Anyone else had issues with this.
Some questions:

Did you experience any actual symptoms along with the warning?

Did you continue to get the error after you cycled the ignition?

Thanks -
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 07-15-2013, 02:10 PM

2009 750Li, 36000 miles and got my drivetrain malfunction warning. The car was vibrating badly and I was 30 miles from the dealer but got it there. I am told they have to replace fuel injectors. I am welcoming myself to the drivetrain malfunction. I sure hope all is well and won't have additional problems.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:22 PM

Yes, vibration and slow with acceleration. Seems like it wasn't getting enough gas and I continued to get the same message after I recycled.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550 m sport
Ah damn...this just hit me today. Was pulling out of parking lot and the car started shaking badly and drive train error came on.

I turned it off and then on again...seemed ok but I took it straight to dealer

The SA said this was their first reported case of this on a f10 550. Why don't I believe that??

Can't wait to see what they say when they call tomorrow. Ugh...
Old 07-18-2013, 08:01 PM

Update....nothing. They still haven't diagnosed it. 2 days.

I'm starting to get my first negative BMW feelings....holding out hope....but not real happy they didn't call me back.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 5301
Quote:
May well be a service center problem. Try an other one. I would not trust them at all, its unlikely that the parts where wrong installed, or broken, especially the bolds. That they cannot do anything now without a code, already reveals their attitude and techincal skills.

Last edited by Edino; 07-18-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
If you have bad vibes go elsewhere. Also, id insist on a smoke test. In addition to replacing three injectors, a latter smoke test, actually two, found some intake leaks which solved my drivetrain malfunction problem and bad idle and lack of power...
Old 07-19-2013, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
All the 550's experiencing this is most likely caused from the injectors. That seems to solve the issue for the 550 guys. For the 535 it could be either the fuel pumps or also ignition related but more so the fuel pump.

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 07-19-2013, 06:50 PM

BMW faith restored....I hope. Got my 550 back today

Cylinder #5 ignition coil was what they diagnosed.

Took them 3 days to figure out which one I guess? But I have it back and haven't felt any shimmys or shakes yet. Sure is good to have her back....ahhhh.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardman View Post
BMW faith restored....I hope. Got my 550 back today

Cylinder #5 ignition coil was what they diagnosed.

Took them 3 days to figure out which one I guess? But I have it back and haven't felt any shimmys or shakes yet. Sure is good to have her back....ahhhh.
Had the same fuel injector issue during 4th of July and it took 2 days to get mine back. Aafter reading more comments on the fourm, it seems like a wide spread issue with the 550, my SA said it's the heat and over idling, initially they weren't sure what was wrong and had to contact BMW.
BMW CCA member. 2012 550i M Sports, Carbon Black/Cinnamon Brown leather/Aluminum Hexagon trim/ZLS. Dinan springs, Xpel paint protect film, Llumar tint. Retired: 2009 535i, 2006 530i, 2003 X5, 1998 318i
Old 03-08-2014, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
I experienced identical problems to those mentioned above in my 2011 528i. Since this site was so helpful in my trying to figure out what was going on, I thought I'd post how the dealer fixed it when I took the car in under warranty. The report back from the dealer says, "found fault for VANOS intake not controllable 131508." "Found the intake VANOS solenoid to be fault diag code 01130-80000000-03-001.Replaced intake vanos solenoid." Car has run perfectly since.