Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 07-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Keyser Soze's Avatar
Keyser Soze Keyser Soze is offline
just like that, he's gone
Location: Northern California
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,456
Mein Auto: 2013 535


2013 535
Auto-Start-Stop disabled
Eco Pro avoided
Manual Transmission (6 gears) and usually stomp around in 3rd after redlining 1st
52% hwy/48% city
__________________
2013 F10 535i M-Sport, Sophisto Grau, 6-speed MT
2011 E90 335i Sport, Jet Black, Sport Auto, Performance Edition
2002 E46 330i Sport, Jet Black, 5-speed MT, lots of upgrades
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more


Last edited by Keyser Soze; 07-16-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-16-2013, 06:29 AM
miamiboyca's Avatar
miamiboyca miamiboyca is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,668
Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donm View Post
My take is that engine and drive train parts need to Rub together for a bit to find their own peace with one another. In earlier days an oil change in the first 500 miles from new were thought to be valuable to drain out the metal particles from the grinding of moving part and left over junk from machining and casting of blocks. Modern machining tolerances are much closer but on the molecular level won't be as good as the peace making process and that takes place by letting the moving parts polish themselves. Once the surfaces are smooth to the point that they are insulted by the oil film your engine will be more efficient and seem to rev up more freely.

Whether this is a sudden phenom, a few thousand miles did it in my case.

Regards, don m
Considering tolerances now are down to the millimeter level, i don't think that is the case. How are you measuring this increased MPG efficiency? Is it with the onboard computer or by calculating it by hand when you fill up?
__________________
2013 535i Space Grey, Biege, M-SPort, Premium, Tech, Cold Weather, Luxury Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012 - PCD Redelivery-12/14/12
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-16-2013, 02:50 PM
gs1978 gs1978 is offline
Registered User
Location: Manteca< Ca.
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: 2013 535i AW M Sport
[QUOTE=miamiboyca;7713213]Considering tolerances now are down to the millimeter level, i don't think that is the case. How are you measuring this increased MPG efficiency? Is it with the onboard computer or by calculating it by hand when you fill up?[/QUOTE

Actuall, that was with the onboard computer 15.1 mpg but if i calculate by hand when i filled up its even less than that. I did drive on frwy for almost 100 miles trip yest and doesnt look very bad. Will be doing another trip for almost 1000 miles may b i couple weeks than i will see how it goes.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-16-2013, 06:41 PM
SamS's Avatar
SamS SamS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 792
Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalf10 View Post
I get 13.8 mpg city in my 4-cylinder 528i. Be happy with your mileage!
Sounds like something is broken with your car.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-16-2013, 08:58 PM
FastMarkA FastMarkA is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,464
Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
I'm getting high teens to very low 20s in 95% city driving. When I take road-trips (very infrequently), I'll get 26/27 with mostly freeway driving.
__________________

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-17-2013, 01:18 PM
miamiboyca's Avatar
miamiboyca miamiboyca is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,668
Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1978 View Post
Actuall, that was with the onboard computer 15.1 mpg but if i calculate by hand when i filled up its even less than that. I did drive on frwy for almost 100 miles trip yest and doesnt look very bad. Will be doing another trip for almost 1000 miles may b i couple weeks than i will see how it goes.
The computer is averaging, so that is why the computer tracking is typically worse over a short period and MPG seems to "get better over time"

I find it hard to believe that manually you get worse than the computer. You should fill up, reset your odometer and then drive it for a week. Calculate only after a complete fill up (pump shuts off) If you fill up more than one a week, then total the first fill up and the second fill up at the end of the week. This will give you the best idea of your weekly average - and remember driving in Sport mode defintiely uses more gas.

I average 24.3 with a 20% city 80% highway mix driving always on sport mode - and mine is a 6MT which gets worse mileage due to lower gearing.
__________________
2013 535i Space Grey, Biege, M-SPort, Premium, Tech, Cold Weather, Luxury Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012 - PCD Redelivery-12/14/12

Last edited by miamiboyca; 07-17-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-17-2013, 01:54 PM
gs1978 gs1978 is offline
Registered User
Location: Manteca< Ca.
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: 2013 535i AW M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
The computer is averaging, so that is why the computer tracking is typically worse over a short period and MPG seems to "get better over time"

I find it hard to believe that manually you get worse than the computer. You should fill up, reset your odometer and then drive it for a week. Calculate only after a complete fill up (pump shuts off) If you fill up more than one a week, then total the first fill up and the second fill up at the end of the week. This will give you the best idea of your weekly average - and remember driving in Sport mode defintiely uses more gas.

I average 24.3 with a 20% city 80% highway mix driving always on sport mode - and mine is a 6MT which gets worse mileage due to lower gearing.

.Great, thats what i will be doing once its mt. Thanx a lot
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-17-2013, 03:58 PM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,703
Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
The computer is averaging, so that is why the computer tracking is typically worse over a short period and MPG seems to "get better over time"

I find it hard to believe that manually you get worse than the computer. You should fill up, reset your odometer and then drive it for a week. Calculate only after a complete fill up (pump shuts off) If you fill up more than one a week, then total the first fill up and the second fill up at the end of the week. This will give you the best idea of your weekly average - and remember driving in Sport mode defintiely uses more gas.

I average 24.3 with a 20% city 80% highway mix driving always on sport mode - and mine is a 6MT which gets worse mileage due to lower gearing.
My computer is always about 1 MPG higher.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-18-2013, 07:19 AM
miamiboyca's Avatar
miamiboyca miamiboyca is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,668
Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1978 View Post
.Great, thats what i will be doing once its mt. Thanx a lot
Report back, curious to see the results.
__________________
2013 535i Space Grey, Biege, M-SPort, Premium, Tech, Cold Weather, Luxury Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012 - PCD Redelivery-12/14/12
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-18-2013, 09:53 AM
gs1978 gs1978 is offline
Registered User
Location: Manteca< Ca.
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: 2013 535i AW M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
Report back, curious to see the results.
Sure, i will. Thanx
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-20-2013, 12:13 PM
Travel4Surf's Avatar
Travel4Surf Travel4Surf is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 218
Mein Auto: Everglades 243
Over 40mph on cruise at 55/60
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	387641  
__________________
Minha patroa um BMW
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Travel4Surf's Avatar
Travel4Surf Travel4Surf is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 218
Mein Auto: Everglades 243
40mph at 60mph on cruise
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	387660  
__________________
Minha patroa um BMW
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-10-2014, 10:33 PM
ausdude's Avatar
ausdude ausdude is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,058
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
Has anyone with the LCIs verified that the displayed mileage is accurate? Scroll up a bit and the instructions for recall ration are there
__________________
F10
2013 550i M Sport|300|LCSW|4MR|2TB|704|760|PDC|ZEC|6F2|ZDA|5AD |416|494|Dinan Stage 2|CF Spoiler,MirrorCaps&Splitter|M Performance Diffuser| Front Reflector Delete|Black Grilles|Rear Font Lights|Euro Side Mirrors|M5 Front & M550D Rear Sway Bars|20" HB04|Coded|CCA member
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-11-2014, 05:04 AM
Autoputzer Autoputzer is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Destin, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 235
Mein Auto: 535i
I keep a fuel log in Excel, resetting the MPG reading at fill-up. From this data, I can see the difference between "pump MPG" and "OBC MPG," both for each tank of gas, and "since new." My E46 M3 read 5% high, and there was no adjustment. My Chevrolet reads 0.7% low. I've only filled up the new BMW once, at OBC MPG was 0.4% lower than the pump MPG. (One data point does not constitute a trend.) By filling up at the same pump, and to the same point (when the nozzle clicks off), you can eliminate the randomness of pumps and nozzles from the pump MPG calculation. You can also identify pumps that cheat you and ones that give you free gas.

I also have an Excel spreadsheet that calculates "Trip Segment MPG." For this to work, I have to reset the trip odometer and MPG at the same time (at fill up). I enter the initial trip mileage and MPG, and the ending trip mileage and MPG, and the spreadsheet calculates the MPG during the "trip segment." There's a window of uncertainty with this calculation, since MPG and mileage are only reported to one decimal place, and for short trip segments the window of uncertainty is larger. I use the OBC error from the fuel log to adjust the MPG calculated by the Trip Segment MPG spreadsheet.

Being the AR person and cheapskate that I am, when I go north on a vacation or business road trip, I don't fill up the car until I get into Alabama. But, using the trip segment spreadsheet, I can calculate how much of that Alabama fill-up was just normal driving before the trip and how much of it was the vacation or business trip. Then I can make financial accounting entries (in yet another spreadsheet) accordingly.

I've taken two a 21-mile sunset drives along the coast on a road with a 35 MPH speed limit (535i, manual transmission, not broken in yet): 30.8 MPG and 32.4 MPG.

Something that I've noticed is that the OBC MPG error steadily creeps toward the negative (pump MPG gets lower with respect to OBC MPG) by about 0.5% over 80k to 110k miles with both cars that I've had with OBC MPG readings. OBC MPG is calculated by adding up the pulse times of the fuel injectors. My theory is that as the fuel pump pressure goes down due to pump wear, contamination in the injectors, weakening of the pressure regulator, etc., the injectors don't open and close as accurately and that causes the pump MPG (real MPG) to go down. (Engine wear also would cause MPG to eventually go down, but that would be caught by the OBC MPG calculation.)

The fuel log is part of my car record Excel workbook: Fuel Log, Capital Costs, Maintenance, and Cost Summary. If anybody wants a copy of this and the Trip Segment MPG spreadsheet, PM me with a real e-mail address. I don't think you can do attachments to PM's. I'll send them out this weekend, after I check the newly added window of uncertainty calculation in the Trip Segment MPG spreadsheet.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-11-2014, 05:18 AM
Autoputzer Autoputzer is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Destin, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 235
Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
I'm getting similar to others on the board - 26-32 highway, and 23-24 blended over 70/30 highway/city.

My last 535i (2011 F10) was a touch worse (25-30 highway; 22-23 blended).
NOTE that replacing runflats (Goodyear Excellence RoF) with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus took a full 2MPG (8-10%) off of my highway and blended number.
I would have guessed that run-flats would decrease MPG. This is my first car with them, and I only have 600 miles on it. But, there's a big, high bridge near me that I always coast down in neutral (I have a manual). One side of the bridge is steeper than the other. On the less steep side, my other two manual transmission-ed cars would maintain the speed I had a the top. But, the 535i with run-flats actually speeds up three or four MPH by the time I get to the bottom of the bridge.

My other car went from fuel-saving OEM Pirelli's to Z-rated Continental Extreme Contact DW's with no observed decrease in MPG. New tires always lower your MPG, because there's more rubber on the tread to bend, and because new tires have a larger diameter (making for "longer miles").
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 04-11-2014, 06:00 AM
MackSea MackSea is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DC Metro
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 110
Mein Auto: 2013 550i X-Drive
I wonder if the OP doesn't need a carburetor adjustment. Maybe some new points?
__________________
Current Rides:
2013 BMW 550i X-Drive, M Sport, Exec, Cold Weather
2012 VW Touareg Sport
1998 Tiara 3500 Open (Cummins Diesels)

Previous Rides:
2010 Porsche Panamera 4S
2008 VW Passat
2007 Benz C class Sport
2006 Dodge Ram 2500
2001 Z06
1999 Dodge Ram
1996 Corvette rag top
1998 Lexus GS300
etc...
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-11-2014, 06:30 AM
ausdude's Avatar
ausdude ausdude is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,058
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
I keep a fuel log in Excel, resetting the MPG reading at fill-up. From this data, I can see the difference between "pump MPG" and "OBC MPG," both for each tank of gas, and "since new." My E46 M3 read 5% high, and there was no adjustment. My Chevrolet reads 0.7% low. I've only filled up the new BMW once, at OBC MPG was 0.4% lower than the pump MPG. (One data point does not constitute a trend.) By filling up at the same pump, and to the same point (when the nozzle clicks off), you can eliminate the randomness of pumps and nozzles from the pump MPG calculation. You can also identify pumps that cheat you and ones that give you free gas.

I also have an Excel spreadsheet that calculates "Trip Segment MPG." For this to work, I have to reset the trip odometer and MPG at the same time (at fill up). I enter the initial trip mileage and MPG, and the ending trip mileage and MPG, and the spreadsheet calculates the MPG during the "trip segment." There's a window of uncertainty with this calculation, since MPG and mileage are only reported to one decimal place, and for short trip segments the window of uncertainty is larger. I use the OBC error from the fuel log to adjust the MPG calculated by the Trip Segment MPG spreadsheet.

Being the AR person and cheapskate that I am, when I go north on a vacation or business road trip, I don't fill up the car until I get into Alabama. But, using the trip segment spreadsheet, I can calculate how much of that Alabama fill-up was just normal driving before the trip and how much of it was the vacation or business trip. Then I can make financial accounting entries (in yet another spreadsheet) accordingly.

I've taken two a 21-mile sunset drives along the coast on a road with a 35 MPH speed limit (535i, manual transmission, not broken in yet): 30.8 MPG and 32.4 MPG.

Something that I've noticed is that the OBC MPG error steadily creeps toward the negative (pump MPG gets lower with respect to OBC MPG) by about 0.5% over 80k to 110k miles with both cars that I've had with OBC MPG readings. OBC MPG is calculated by adding up the pulse times of the fuel injectors. My theory is that as the fuel pump pressure goes down due to pump wear, contamination in the injectors, weakening of the pressure regulator, etc., the injectors don't open and close as accurately and that causes the pump MPG (real MPG) to go down. (Engine wear also would cause MPG to eventually go down, but that would be caught by the OBC MPG calculation.)

The fuel log is part of my car record Excel workbook: Fuel Log, Capital Costs, Maintenance, and Cost Summary. If anybody wants a copy of this and the Trip Segment MPG spreadsheet, PM me with a real e-mail address. I don't think you can do attachments to PM's. I'll send them out this weekend, after I check the newly added window of uncertainty calculation in the Trip Segment MPG spreadsheet.
I was asking because I see many post in this forum related to the mpg one is getting. I know from my car that the readings are not accurate. There are a few phone apps that help keep detailed records similar to what you are doing. Nice work!
__________________
F10
2013 550i M Sport|300|LCSW|4MR|2TB|704|760|PDC|ZEC|6F2|ZDA|5AD |416|494|Dinan Stage 2|CF Spoiler,MirrorCaps&Splitter|M Performance Diffuser| Front Reflector Delete|Black Grilles|Rear Font Lights|Euro Side Mirrors|M5 Front & M550D Rear Sway Bars|20" HB04|Coded|CCA member
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-11-2014, 06:41 AM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,703
Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
I would have guessed that run-flats would decrease MPG. This is my first car with them, and I only have 600 miles on it. But, there's a big, high bridge near me that I always coast down in neutral (I have a manual). One side of the bridge is steeper than the other. On the less steep side, my other two manual transmission-ed cars would maintain the speed I had a the top. But, the 535i with run-flats actually speeds up three or four MPH by the time I get to the bottom of the bridge.

My other car went from fuel-saving OEM Pirelli's to Z-rated Continental Extreme Contact DW's with no observed decrease in MPG. New tires always lower your MPG, because there's more rubber on the tread to bend, and because new tires have a larger diameter (making for "longer miles").
The heavier runflat tires plays a very small role when coasting down an incline. My guess is that the F10's low friction wheel bearings has a lot to do with how well the car coast.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-11-2014, 06:41 AM
raleedy's Avatar
raleedy raleedy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oregon
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,125
Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
I find that fuel consumption tracks closely with average speed (which the OBC also registers). The lower the car's average speed, the lower the mpg.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms