Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-16-2013, 07:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Colder / Cooler Ventilated Seat Programing by Dealer?

Iíve read thereís a way to program our ventilated seats so they get colder / cooler, but is there anything in particular I can tell my dealer so they can perform same while the car is hooked up to their diagnostic equipment (specific location / name of the computer values that can be modified)? My car is at the dealer now and Iíd like them to take care of this, if possible, as my ventilated seats are barely noticeable when on. Iím thinking something similar to how they can program auto start-stop to be set to off, as default. Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 07-16-2013, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
My wife's Avalon has actual cooled/heated seats but on my 535, I believe that it's merely ventilated/heated.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:40 AM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
I don't think this is possible, but I could be wrong. The source of the air for the ventilated seats is a duct opening below the seat, so whatever the temperature of the air is down there is what you get. It helps a bit to crank the A/C into the floor, but for the most part, the ventilated seat solution in the bimmer is just not a good one for summer (I love the ventilated seats in fall, winter, and spring, but in summer, the air is just too warm).

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 07-16-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
I don't think this is possible, but I could be wrong. The source of the air for the ventilated seats is a duct opening below the seat, so whatever the temperature of the air is down there is what you get. It helps a bit to crank the A/C into the floor, but for the most part, the ventilated seat solution in the bimmer is just not a good one for summer (I love the ventilated seats in fall, winter, and spring, but in summer, the air is just too warm).
I believe it's possible, as the seats are set to not get cooler than what the HVAC system is set to...
Old 07-16-2013, 10:54 PM

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=682664
Old 07-17-2013, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: M550d
A** too warm

I also don't really feel much of a benefit when the ventilation is on, in my F11; i mean sure enough the seat is a bit cooler, but it's not very dramatic at all.

My other issue is that the passenger seat's fan is really quite noisy compared to the driver's seat. Next time I'm in to the dealer I'll go have them look at it. On a new car, this ought to not be the case.

Back to the temperature thing, sounds like I need to fashion myself a coding cable, unless anyone near Zuerich happens to read this?
Old 07-17-2013, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
I just read that link. I'm very curious how the works for the ventilated temperature. If all they are is fans pulling in air from under the seat, then what do the codes do?
Old 07-17-2013, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 Sportline
dealers do not perform any after market coding, so there is nothing you can ask your dealer to do this for you. You would have to contact an after market coder to do it for you.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:59 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Colder / Cooler Ventilated Seat Programing by Dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
I just read that link. I'm very curious how the works for the ventilated temperature. If all they are is fans pulling in air from under the seat, then what do the codes do?
Agreed. I thought the air was pulled from the ambient air under the seat, not the a/c duct, which would mean those codes are useless. And in fact those who tried adjusting those codes and reported their results in that thread indicate it made zero difference.

I would definitely be interested in trying something if it would actually possibly maybe work but so far I'm not convinced anything can actually be done (I would have to be wrong on the source of the air).

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 07-17-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
Agreed. I thought the air was pulled from the ambient air under the seat, not the a/c duct, which would mean those codes are useless. And in fact those who tried adjusting those codes and reported their results in that thread indicate it made zero difference.

I would definitely be interested in trying something if it would actually possibly maybe work but so far I'm not convinced anything can actually be done (I would have to be wrong on the source of the air).
Strange; so what are the codes for then? What exactly is being altered?
Old 07-18-2013, 04:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Strange; so what are the codes for then? What exactly is being altered?
If the codes do exist, my guess is that one day BMW will use a thermoelectric heater/cooler unit in their seats like Toyota. When they do the software will already be in place.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpawmoses View Post
If the codes do exist, my guess is that one day BMW will use a thermoelectric heater/cooler unit in their seats like Toyota. When they do the software will already be in place.
Ha; wow; crazy!