Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-15-2013, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Nav gas stations on wrong side of road

Just picked up my 1st BMW ever; 535i and I love it, well besides the fact that the dealership didn't activate the Nav and couldn't get it on a Friday night; had to wait until Monday.

Anyway, still figuring out the nuances of the Nav and voice part, but it seems to work OK. Except that my home address is about a block away from where it should be and the three gas stations that come up on my latest trip (when I took notice) are on the wrong side of the road, one kiddy-corner at an intersection. Not a huge deal, but would be annoying if it happens on a lot when getting directions that direct me to the wrong side.

Sort of reminds me of the 1st generation of both Garmin and Google Maps. I would have expected better here. My wife wanted me to get a replacement car, but I had to convince her that it would be the same...

As I said, I have a very small sample so far and will go out tomorrow and check out more POI, but was wondering if this sort of thing is normal with the BMW Nav systems.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:48 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive

The nav is subpar. It appears to be an issue with the data provider. The data itself is just not of good quality and the routing algorithm gets confused.

The nav in my previous gen bimmer (also a 5er) routed more accurately. Still love the car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 07-16-2013, 09:02 AM

Re: Nav gas stations on wrong side of road

Thanks. How often are database updates available? I assume I can download from a cell phone via USB?

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-16-2013, 09:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
I believe the maps are updated from DVDs.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 Sportline
Quote:
Originally Posted by linux View Post
Thanks. How often are database updates available? I assume I can download from a cell phone via USB?

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet using BimmerApp mobile app
Map updates are generally once per year, and are sold directly through the dealer (for legitimate ways to get them).

Also, just FYI, you have pretty much zero chance of getting bmw to change out the car (you mention your wife wanted you to get a replacement car), because you are unhappy with the map data.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Map updates are generally once per year, and are sold directly through the dealer (for legitimate ways to get them).

Also, just FYI, you have pretty much zero chance of getting bmw to change out the car (you mention your wife wanted you to get a replacement car), because you are unhappy with the map data.
Ha, yes, I realize there won't be a new car, and the next nav system will be the same. I did call my local BMW service and the service adviser did admit that the maps are not perfect. I told him that by charging $200+ dollars for an update, the company is discouraging people from doing so and he agreed.

He didn't have the current version numbers handy, but what comes up on my screen is:

North American BMW Group
Road Map North America Next 2013
NBT_D125051

I've not been able to find corresponding numbers on the web that tells me if this is the latest database version. The Next 2013 would "seem" to imply that the next update is 2013.

Anybody know if that's the case?

Last edited by linux; 07-16-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:28 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
The nav is subpar. It appears to be an issue with the data provider. The data itself is just not of good quality and the routing algorithm gets confused.

The nav in my previous gen bimmer (also a 5er) routed more accurately. Still love the car.

Nav is not subpar. Subpar is too good a term for this Nav. It does not belong in a $99/ week rental.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 07-16-2013, 04:45 PM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2013 535xi M-Sport
By the way also be extremely careful with the screen it gets damaged so easy so not only the Nav sucks what its made of does to.

2013 535xi M-Sport | Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Hexagon Trim | Premium | Cold | Technology | Driver Assistance | Sport Transmission | Sport Seats | Premium hi-fi
Prior: 2011 535xi Sedan | Titanium Silver/Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sport Transmission | Sirius | PDC
Prior: 2009 528xi Sedan | Monaco Blue/Cream Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sirius | Xenon
Prior: 2006 330xi Sadan | Alpine White/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav

Old 07-16-2013, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 Sportline
Quote:
Ha, yes, I realize there won't be a new car, and the next nav system will be the same. I did call my local BMW service and the service adviser did admit that the maps are not perfect. I told him that by charging $200+ dollars for an update, the company is discouraging people from doing so and he agreed.

He didn't have the current version numbers handy, but what comes up on my screen is:

North American BMW Group
Road Map North America Next 2013
NBT_D125051

I've not been able to find corresponding numbers on the web that tells me if this is the latest database version. Te Next 2013 would "seem" to imply that the next update is 2013.

Anybody know if that's the case?
You have the 'NBT" nav, and I believe the 2013 "next" is the most up to date data for the nav. The 5 series in my household is my wifes AH5, and it has the NBT nav, with the 2013 "next" data as well.

Google Maps seems to be more accurate, and up to date as well, but I do not like the "Look" of the car with a cellphone stuck to the windshield, or otherwise mounted somewhere. I know thats petty but /shrug its how I feel so....

One thing I do is use the "send to car" feature from google maps.... although when you do that, the car does not tell you what side of the road the destination is. It IS much easier to get the nav data into the car using the send to car from google maps though.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Nav is not subpar. Subpar is too good a term for this Nav. It does not belong in a $99/ week rental.

Yeah, I've had time to put more miles on the car, and it seems like most every waypoint or destination address is on the wrong side of the road and/or a half block away. Both Garmin and Google maps are at least a generation ahead of this, and that's pretty lame given the money they ask for their cars AND the nav option. You think given the bad rap on the original idrive would teach BMW to get it right the first time.

BTW, love your sig part about British food, etc. Funny and true.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645ci
Quote:
Yeah, I've had time to put more miles on the car, and it seems like most every waypoint or destination address is on the wrong side of the road and/or a half block away. Both Garmin and Google maps are at least a generation ahead of this, and that's pretty lame given the money they ask for their cars AND the nav option. You think given the bad rap on the original idrive would teach BMW to get it right the first time.

BTW, love your sig part about British food, etc. Funny and true.

I just updated to the latest 2013 Nav Disc today for my 6 and the accuracy is worse than the original edition that came with the car.(2005) Sitting in my driveway it says my destination is 250 feet ahead, had I needed to go to the bathroom I would think it was spot on.

The only reason why I updated the Nav disk was the fact that I travel thru alot of recently developed areas and would like a up to date listing of streets and things like restaurants. The disc also have speed cams and speed traps but I fear I could be on the side of the road getting a ticket and the Nav is telling me the speed trap is in Mcdonalds Parking lot.

08 Chrysler 300c stock

2005 BMW 645ci: DINAN Stage 2 software, Magnaflow Custom cat back race exhaust, AFE stage 2 pro dry CAI, GFG custom painted/CF Hydro dipped Medellin wheels (22x9 front, 22x10.5 rear) AC SChnitzer dash kit, Matte Aluminum Red with Carbon Fiber BMW performace stripe wrap, custom roundels, Yellow fogs, custom painted brake duct rings.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:06 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
You sure you're not in North direction mode and you're travelling "downward" (i.e., south) on the map, and you "think" stuff is on the wrong side (east to the left, west to the right)? I realize that might be a stupid question, but then again.... Everything on the wrong side?? Kind of doubtful I would think.

And you guys are brutal about this Nav -- I actually think it's pretty good. It hasn't let me down as the unit in my wife's Acura has, by giving the voice directions a split second too early, making one miss an off-ramp -- has happened twice to me. (Just as you approach the exit ---> "STAY LEFT"!, which it means after you actually take the exit).

I doubt the screen is any more susceptible to damage than others -- you need to be careful when cleaning any plastic surface, very easy to scratch. I use a soft, damp cotton cloth.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm