Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: Z4
Tire Wear Even Front to Rear?

03 Z4 3.0i Sport Package. Put on lift last week for oil change to find 2 bald rear tires. Purchased vehicle @ 12k miles ago. Negotiated front tires when purchased. Currently has oe run flats on vehicle all 4 locations. Rear tires looked good when purchased, but never measured tread depth to verify life. Going non run flat and have found some good rebates on 4 tire purchases. I thought I had read somewhere that these cars tend to use 2 sets of rear tires to a set of front tires, similar to my bike. If this is the case, I would just purchase 2 tires and use the remaining life of the front tires. If everyone's experience is that they wear pretty evenly, I will purchase 4 and take advantage of the rebates. May be able to offset the purchase with the sale of the fronts that are still about half life. Also have a set of BC coilovers that I plan on installing at the same time.

Thanks in advance for the input. Could not find any info searching the forum.
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2013, 06:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 Z4MR, 03 Z4 3.0i
My sport package Z4 3.0i uses two sets of rear tires to one set of front. A lot of your use will depend on driving style.

I wouldn't mix non-RFT and RFT. I did to save money, and the car handled poorly until I swapped the fronts to non-RFT too.

G Power Z4M and VF Engineering Z4 3.0i
Old 07-16-2013, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
My sport package Z4 3.0i uses two sets of rear tires to one set of front. A lot of your use will depend on driving style.

I wouldn't mix non-RFT and RFT. I did to save money, and the car handled poorly until I swapped the fronts to non-RFT too.
The tracking and the wet traction from the front are horrible since the tires have hit about half life and we have been bombarded with rain all year long. Just trying to save a few bucks. Top motor went out last month. Can't imagine that it would handle much more poorly than it is now.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:41 AM
Z ENTHUSIAST

Mein Auto: 06 3.0 si Z4R
rear camber is what makes the car handle so well. Tire wear or handling, it's a trade off for sure.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i (sold the X3)
Quote:

This has also been my experience.

Steve
Old 07-17-2013, 02:52 AM

Went ahead and ordered 4 Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's. Should be in this week. Will try to go in and install BC Coilovers and tires next week on my day off. Will check and set alignment to specs then.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:58 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
Any car that has off set sized wheels and tires seems to have the same issue with 2 to 1 use ratio on front vs rear. I still had my OEM Front's at 38k with a bunch of thread and was on my 2nd set of rears.

I got a year and almost 10k on these Michelin PSS and they still look new. Also a great water tire, I have been really happy with them.

Regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 07-17-2013, 08:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: z3 '97 atlanta blue 2.8
i was just in the shop yesterday discussing the difference in tire wear.

would the sport package make a difference, other than the tires being staggered? what is the sport package anyway?

at what point do we start thinking about spring sag?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i (sold the X3)
Sport Package gets you: staggered wheels/tires, tighter suspension, higher shift point when engaged on Automatic, remaps the accelerator to send input to throttle quicker and adjust the steering to quicker ratio.

Steve
Old 07-17-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
Any car that has off set sized wheels and tires seems to have the same issue with 2 to 1 use ratio on front vs rear. I still had my OEM Front's at 38k with a bunch of thread and was on my 2nd set of rears.
This is what I was looking for. I could swear that the rear tires were practically brand new also when I purchased it. Never pay them much attention since you can't really see the tread. I used the front as a gauge, and when the oil change was due, surprise!!! Will probably just list the front 2 for sale. Thanks for the input. It also sounds like I will be glad that I ordered 4.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:51 PM
Luv'in Texas

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si
Quote:

+1,

I did the same thing and had the same result. drove the DSC nuts...
2009 Club Car Precedent (to putter around the beach)