Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster
Airbag light on after pulling out some fuses...

Ok, I installed the ebay Halo Projectors with a HID kit. I had heard some people hooked up the halo power to a fuse. I started to work on that, but I ran out of daylight so I put the fuses back in place. Now when I turn on the car, a light that looks like the Airbag light is come on, on the dash. I'm guessing I pulled out the airbag fuse? Anyone know how to get this light to turn off? Also, one of the fuses was melted when I opened up the fuse box, so I replaced it with the exact same fuse (new one of course).

BTW, I think I'm going to just hook the halos up to the battery after this...
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2013, 10:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 99 Z3 M Coupe/99 540i
Airbag (SRS) faults must be reset by a diagnostic tool (safety reasons or lawyer repellent, take your pick). There are some reasonably inexpensive tools available that will do this or - for about the same price - you can have a shop do it.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:44 AM

Mein Auto: 98 z3 2.8l
I have my halos hooked to the power on the cig lighter which comes on when the ignition is on, I also put in a switch to give me the option of turning them off for whatever reason(sometimes the dark is your friend). means running the wire through the firewall but the is a rubber plug under the firewall covering on the fusebox side make it easy to get the wire through there.

Takes a shop with a diagnostics tool about thirty sec to clear that airbag light.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the replies. I was going to ask where an easy spot to run wires through the firewall was. So its on the same side as the fuse box. I'll have to check that out. Where is a good spot to ground the halos?
Old 07-16-2013, 03:46 PM

I'll take a photo of the spot as I am a Right hand drive and it on the passenger side for me so I'll take a photo this morning. It's covered and tricky to find.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:37 PM

Ok here's some pics showing the grommet location on a Australian/euro model right hand drive. The cutout in the foam was there from the factory so may be there for you too, near my hand is a aftermarket alarm.

The next shot shows the orientation of where it is on my model, you can see the fuse box to the side of the shot.

Be careful the rubber grommet does not have a hole in it and there maybe something on the other side, I can access the other side from the passengers foot-well by pulling down the carpet.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:14 PM

Thank you so much for the pics and your help. I'm pretty sure I saw this under the hood. I'm going to work on it in the morning. Where did you ground your halos?

Btw, your under hood looks rather clean. I think I need to clean mine up a bit...
Old 07-16-2013, 10:14 PM

Can't remember , I think because I used a switch I ran the same wire as the cig lighter negative to ground them, I run the pwer to that small box which also powers usb charger and amp fans, anything else I want to give power to in the future I just add a swith and hhok up the power to that box in the interior.
The car was a garage queen before I bought it with the original owner only driving it around a 1000kilometers a year and keeping up BMW yearly services, some of the yearly services were only done 600KM's that year. About once a month I wax it fully and when I do that detail a light spay with water and a quick soft brush over keeps the engine bay looking good.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:14 PM

Can't remember , I think because I used a switch I ran the same wire as the cig lighter negative to ground them, I run the pwer to that small box which also powers usb charger and amp fans, anything else I want to give power to in the future I just add a swith and hhok up the power to that box in the interior.
The car was a garage queen before I bought it with the original owner only driving it around a 1000kilometers a year and keeping up BMW yearly services, some of the yearly services were only done 600KM's that year. About once a month I wax it fully and when I do that detail a light spay with water and a quick soft brush over keeps the engine bay looking good.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:40 PM

Thanks for the idea using the cig lighter. I tapped into the power and ground on it and installed a switch. That was a lot easier then running the wires all the way to the battery in the trunk. My under hood looked a little different then yours, but I found a rubber grommet where I was able to go through the fire wall.

The only thing I'm disappointed about is the halos. I was expecting them to be a lot brighter then they turned out to be. You can barely see them in the daylight. There getting power, I just don't understand why there not brighter.

I attached a pic of the switch I installed and the HALOS in day light.

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1216.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	387288   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1217.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	387289   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1218.jpg
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	387290   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1219.jpg
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	387291  

Last edited by FirstOne; 07-17-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:37 AM

Nice work on the switch. Many people say they have a problem with dim halos, I've seen pics just like yours that show them very dim. Mine are the cheaper type of sonar(which are the same as ones I've seen dim in pics) but mine are a lot brighter. I just don't know what the difference would be. Check the you have good connection and did you try reversing the polarity(can't remember if that even works).

Mine in daylight....
Old 07-18-2013, 08:29 AM

I'm thinking its bad connections. I was reading on another forum about someone who had dim halos and they removed there wire connectors. They then went bare wire to bare wire and it made them brighter. I'm going to try that out today. I've never had good luck with those wire connectors in the past on another vehicle.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:55 AM
YYZED3M Driver

Mein Auto: '99 ////M Roadster
LED Halos....

Are the way to go. I know it is probably too late for you... but someone in the future might see this thread.

Crappy : )

(Just outside of Nashville)
Old 07-18-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennium View Post
Nice work on the switch. Many people say they have a problem with dim halos, I've seen pics just like yours that show them very dim. Mine are the cheaper type of sonar(which are the same as ones I've seen dim in pics) but mine are a lot brighter. I just don't know what the difference would be. Check the you have good connection and did you try reversing the polarity(can't remember if that even works)
Mine are also the Sonar ones. So I don't know why mine are so dim compared to yours. I even went bare wire to bare wire today and the results were the same. I'm pretty pissed off about it now. I'm going to just buy some Umnitza's and sell the Sonar's used.