Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 05-25-2013, 07:31 PM
BMWFAN4EVER

Send a message via MSN to Nightlviper Send a message via Skype™ to Nightlviper
Mein Auto: 1988 BMW E28 M5
Exclamation Please Help me and My 1988 E28 M5

Hello all E28 fans! I am new to the forum let me introduce my self quickly. My name Is Tomas I am 20 years old. This E28 Is my second BMW. I bought it for $8500 (CAD) ( I now know I got ripped off) Anyway I love all BMW's especially older body styles ones. I though i got a good deal when buying this M5 but I sure was wrong. Well i need all of your advice is possible. I am planning to keep this car for ever, the thing Is I am getting ready for college and have no money at the moment.

So here's my questions
****The BAD WITH THE CAR****
-Needs New throttle cables ( Already replaced ).
-Needs Rear springs ( Ordered and will be replaced ).
-Front Drivers seat is MESSED Metal sticking out of the left side of the seat and the back rest wont go up in general the drivers seat is MESSED.
-Passenger seat some power options don't work ( Guessing nothing too hard to fix? ).
-On board computer doesn't tell time or date. Cannot set it? ( Needs a new on board computer? ).
-Needs New glove box.
-There is rust spots under the car and pretty decent ones too lol... Bawl .
-MOISTURE IN THE TRUNK!!!!! ( HELP)
-Missing battery cover
-Needs new Sunroof sliders + weather trim around the whole car.
-Some small chips and rust spots around the car as well
-Needs new paint job with time
-Needs new brakes/tires
-Needs new E-Brake cable
-Sometimes rarely 1st gear will grid, rarely again sometimes when I put it in 2nd gear it misses somehow like It is in neutral and then I have to do it again put It in 2nd and occasionally 3rd gear will grind for no reason ( could it be the clutch, tranny or Transmission Fluid? Please HELP ME ON THIS ONE!!!! Confused
-The car starts shaking badly after reaching 80Km/H ( I'm guessing ball joints, control arms and bushings).
-Small Engine trim.
-Needs new sunroof sliders ( Are they hard to install? ).
-Leaking oil from what looks like the oil pan or it might be the seals ( Will replace them In time hopefully sooner than later ).
-Needs new cluster

****OK HERE IS MY ULTIMATE QUESTION****

I am planning to do an engine and Tranny rebuilt ( My Local Mechanic will probably do it he gave me a quick but not the exact estimate for the engine he said if you want it done properly it will cost you about 6-11k I'm guessing the tranny will be another 1-2k Obviously going to do all the seals head gasket etc.. HOW MUCH DO YOU GUYS THINK THE TOTAL JOB WILL BE FOR THE TRANNY AND ENGINE + GASKETS Obviously rebuilt it. My Mechanic charges $55/Hr + Parts and is it worth it ( I personally think it Is but that's just me ) Please advise. I Thank you all!

If I remember something else Ill let you know guys!! Thanks again for your Help!!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:09 AM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Start with the safety stuff; suspension, brakes, etc. You should be able to do most of the work yourself, get yourself a Bentley service manual before you start. You can probably get a used replacement for the tranny, but your problem may actually be worn out shift linkage. The suspension will need some work so determine what you want it to ride like and then find the parts you need. Take it step by step and try to evaluate each system so you know what it really needs and how much it will cost.

Last edited by catso; 05-27-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:13 AM
BMWFAN4EVER

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it! Will take your advice!
Old 05-27-2013, 08:27 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlviper View Post
Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it! Will take your advice!
BTW, your trunk leak is most likely caused by the tailight seals. You can get new ones, or try to reseal the old ones with silicone, or dum-dum, etc. Trunk lid seals are also known to fail, and after time the bottom of the trunk (particularly in the spare tire compartment) will start to rust out. Consider using fiberglass to repair those rust spots. I fiberglassed much of the lower rear part of my E28 including the bumper mount areas. These are not very difficult repairs, albeit messy, so consider doing them yourself to save some money.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:31 PM
BMWFAN4EVER

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by catso View Post
BTW, your trunk leak is most likely caused by the tailight seals. You can get new ones, or try to reseal the old ones with silicone, or dum-dum, etc. Trunk lid seals are also known to fail, and after time the bottom of the trunk (particularly in the spare tire compartment) will start to rust out. Consider using fiberglass to repair those rust spots. I fiberglassed much of the lower rear part of my E28 including the bumper mount areas. These are not very difficult repairs, albeit messy, so consider doing them yourself to save some money.
Thank you!!! Yeah I had a feeling It might be the seals one guy told me ( IN PERSON ) that the car had been hit and not repaired properly :l .... I was like uhhhh. k.. But it didn't have an accident... Maybe it was hit and didn't go through the insurance..but then again...I THINK YOU ARE RIGHT I THINK SO TOO THAT IT'S THE TRUNK SEALS/LIGHT SEALS.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335xi
Post some pictures!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:57 AM
BMWFAN4EVER

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanianbimmer View Post
Post some pictures!!!
I will definitely give me a couple of days.. By the way you guys all of you have been awesome help. mye28.com forum is ****e.... so thank you all!
Old 07-18-2013, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: E28 M5, E36 M3
If you get away with a good stock rebuild for that engine for $6k-$11k US that is, I think, a bargain. A top quality stock rebuild for the engine is about $15k or so in my experience (which amounts to: 2 pre-purchase inspections at a BMW/Porsche independent shop, both of which needed engine work and ownship of an E28 M5 which has a full engine rebuild and a full tranny rebuild).

I second the rear taillight seals but caution you on that: pull your carpets and check the outboard corners for rust. The trunk seal itself can let water in and then it sits and rusts on the rail that runs around the edge of the trunk (carefully lift the seal and see if you have rust).

I had a decent body shop replace the rear panel (H-shaped panel which holds the license plate and wraps around the tail lights - sourced it new from Maximillian Imports which is the official source for BMW Mobile Tradition), I redid all the seals, and had the trunk seal ledge/rail refabricated.

Seats non-functioning is common. Either be prepared to fix them with new motors and switches or (my personal recommendation) pull them and store them somewhere for that future time when you are rich and can do a full up stock rebuild, and replace them with a decent aftermarket seat.

Sunroof: before you do anything get trimmer line and ream out the drain holes - front a rear. Front goes down the A-pillar, rear goes out behind the flaps/trim on the C pillar. I've not done the rails so i don't know how hard it is but if you lube it, use a light lube, nothing like grease or anything because that will just clog your drainholes and cause the sunroof to rust.

Looks like you have quite the project. Good luck.
89 VW GTi-16v
94 MB E500 (sold, see first car above)
95 M3
01 VW Passat 4Motion
02 Subaru WRX (WRB Bugeye)