Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 07-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 535i M Sport
Broken radiator cooling fan in my 535i

I've been feeling a weird vibration the last couple of days and yesterday afternoon part of the cooling fan broke off while parked and idling with the A/C on. I didn't think it was a big deal at the time, I mean, how much can a plastic fan cost? Well, a lot. Apparently you can't just replace the fan, you need to replace the entire assembly, including the shroud and electric motor. I contacted Tischer / BMW of Silver Spring (www.getbmwparts.com) this morning and Evan got one pulled out of their local warehouse and had it ready for me to pick up by 3pm. Fantastic service as usual and even though it cost $620, that was cheaper than nearly anywhere else and I didn't have to wait a week or so for delivery.

I thought replacing it would be easy as well since everything I've read said it takes about 5 minutes to pull the assembly out of an E60. Well, not if you have a 535i since it has an oil cooler and the oil lines go through the shroud, something the Bentley manual fails to mention. It's not the first time I've found the Bentley manual didn't include accurate information on late model 535i / N54s. The procedure for removing the assembly is much more involved so I've decided to tackle it tomorrow AM instead of dealing with a hot garage and equally hot engine this evening.
Premium, Value, Cold Weather, Sport Auto, Navigation, Satellite, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Park Distance, Fold Down Rear Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rear Side Airbags, JB4 G5 ISO, BMS DCIs, Proform Clear Bra, LUX H8 LED angel eyes
Ads by Google
Old 07-18-2013, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi
DJ,

I feel your pain. I had to replace my shroud as well. My fan and motor work even though the plastic casing around the motor is cracked. I am going to replace the shroud around the fan and wait until I need to replace the fan and the housing.

I will be interested in how complicated or easy getting to the fan will be for you.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: '09 AW 535i
Your car is a 2010, isn't it under warranty still?

2009 AW 535i
-Sport, Premium Package, and Comfort Access
-FBO, custom Cobb E30 map, Performance Gearing LSD.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by booyaazaa View Post
Your car is a 2010, isn't it under warranty still?
Doh! (unless there's 50k+ miles on that car)

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i -Titanium Silver -Grey Dakota -Dark Poplar -Premium -Sport -Cold Weather -Xenons -Heated Rear Seats -Active Steering -Logic 7 -Sirius
2010 Lexus RX350 AWD (hers) -Smokey Granite Mica -Black -Premium -Comfort -Nav -Tow Prep -Premium Sound -Wood Steering Wheel/Shifter
Old 07-19-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlink View Post
Doh! (unless there's 50k+ miles on that car)
70K miles so no, not under warranty. It took a little over 2 hours to replace it this morning although if I had to do it again, I could probably get everything done in well under an hour. There are a number of hose support clamps that need to be removed from underneath and one screw that's a pain in the a$$ to get to on the back holding what I think was an A/C pipe bracket. The oil cooler pipes were no big deal. Just need something small to catch the couple of tablespoons of oil that comes out once they're removed from the cooler. Also, when removing the shroud, make sure not to tilt it towards the engine or oil from the mounted cooler will spill out and make quite a mess (ask me how I know!).

I'm pretty sure the fan cracked due to a mishap by the dealer last year but I have no way of proving it. An engine cover mounting bolt had fallen into the shroud and I'm sure it happened when they replace an injector a while back. I kept hearing an occasional rattling noise up front (sounded like marbles) but it wasn't consistent. One day last fall while parked on a steep driveway the fan made a horrible screeching noise -- the bolt had jammed between the shroud and fan ring. I was able to see it that time, managed to remove it, and the rattle disappeared. I'm sure it cracked the fan ring and the part finally failed completely earlier this week. The fan's been running at full speed at times since it's been so hot here.
Premium, Value, Cold Weather, Sport Auto, Navigation, Satellite, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Park Distance, Fold Down Rear Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rear Side Airbags, JB4 G5 ISO, BMS DCIs, Proform Clear Bra, LUX H8 LED angel eyes
Old 11-25-2013, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJtoad View Post
70K miles so no, not under warranty. It took a little over 2 hours to replace it this morning although if I had to do it again, I could probably get everything done in well under an hour. There are a number of hose support clamps that need to be removed from underneath and one screw that's a pain in the a$$ to get to on the back holding what I think was an A/C pipe bracket. The oil cooler pipes were no big deal. Just need something small to catch the couple of tablespoons of oil that comes out once they're removed from the cooler. Also, when removing the shroud, make sure not to tilt it towards the engine or oil from the mounted cooler will spill out and make quite a mess (ask me how I know!).

I'm pretty sure the fan cracked due to a mishap by the dealer last year but I have no way of proving it. An engine cover mounting bolt had fallen into the shroud and I'm sure it happened when they replace an injector a while back. I kept hearing an occasional rattling noise up front (sounded like marbles) but it wasn't consistent. One day last fall while parked on a steep driveway the fan made a horrible screeching noise -- the bolt had jammed between the shroud and fan ring. I was able to see it that time, managed to remove it, and the rattle disappeared. I'm sure it cracked the fan ring and the part finally failed completely earlier this week. The fan's been running at full speed at times since it's been so hot here.
I am changing an alternator and I need to remove the fan. I was hoping you could give me some pointers on removing those lines. Specifically, the lines to the oil cooler. How many hoses, bottom and top?

Here is a post that I started, there was some confusion but your post clarified it.

http://forums.5series.net/e60-discus...-135900/page2/
Old 11-25-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee_115 View Post
I am changing an alternator and I need to remove the fan. I was hoping you could give me some pointers on removing those lines. Specifically, the lines to the oil cooler. How many hoses, bottom and top?

Here is a post that I started, there was some confusion but your post clarified it.

http://forums.5series.net/e60-discus...-135900/page2/
The E60 Bentley manual makes no mention of the oil cooler so I was surprised just as you were when I encountered the lines passing through the shroud. There are only two (one in and one out) and the good news is that they are a piece of cake to remove from the cooler, at least on my 535i. If I remember correctly, each line seals using an o-ring and is held in by a single bolt. Once you remove the bolt, simply pull the line out of the cooler and drain the line into a small cup -- only a few tablespoons will come out. As long as you don't tilt the cooler, little if any oil will leak out of it. I left both lines connected to the oil filter assembly and just made sure the ends stayed higher then the assembly. In retrospect, I probably should have replaced the o-rings but didn't and have no leaks.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:21 PM

Thanks. So after I remove the bolt that holds the line the entire fan cowling should just lift out?
Old 11-26-2013, 02:58 PM

I can't say for sure since you have a 550i and I have a 535i, but once I removed the top plate, various hose clamps and brackets that were attached to the shroud (some are only accessible from down below), removed the oil lines from the cooler, and disconnected the fan electrical connector, I was able to pull up and lift out the entire assembly. The oil cooler is attached to the front of the shroud so it comes out with it. You may want to plug the holes so that oil doesn't pour out while you're lifting it up.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJtoad View Post
I can't say for sure since you have a 550i and I have a 535i, but once I removed the top plate, various hose clamps and brackets that were attached to the shroud (some are only accessible from down below), removed the oil lines from the cooler, and disconnected the fan electrical connector, I was able to pull up and lift out the entire assembly. The oil cooler is attached to the front of the shroud so it comes out with it. You may want to plug the holes so that oil doesn't pour out while you're lifting it up.
Appreciate the response. I did the alternator today. There were only two lines to remove, one at the bottom and one at the top. After removing those lines, you have to slightly lift the fan then fold in the tab on the driver side. You have to slightly lift the fan before folding the tab because that is the only way to get the tab to fold in pass the hoses. After folding the tab just lift straight up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0614.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	409599   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0616.jpg
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	409600   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0619.jpg
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	409601   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0618.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	409602  
Old 11-27-2013, 10:59 AM

Glad you got it done. The setup is a bit different than my 535i. Both oil lines are on the top (one on each side of the shroud) and there were no folding tabs.