Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 07-19-2013, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 Alpine White 545i
Transmission, air conditioner, coolant lite

Hello all, again.
I have been getting my coolant light on more than it should. I take it in and they do what they do. The maybe a month later the warning is there again. I open the hood and see white stuff sprayed from the radiator? White thicker stuff stuck to the fan in the rad.

The car leaks everything, all the time. I have replaced all the seals, tubes ($2200.00) and stuff come from this car like an infected wound.

I can't keep doing this and paying for this. Nothing is cheap on this car (except the way they design their cup holders)

You should see my driveway!

What is the coolant doing? What is this white stuff?
Thanks in advance.
Ads by Google
Old 07-19-2013, 12:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545i
Sounds like dried coolant which has a chalky white appearance. Hard to tell without seeing it where it might be coming from, given that with the fan running and car going down the road the air inside the engine compartment is swirling all over the place.

Common leak points that might be hitting the fan are temperature sensor in lower hose, radiator, expansion tank and what might be the most likely, the vent tube.

The vent tube a thin tube that runs from the top of the radiator on the drives side (US), under the metal shroud that covers the radiator and fan, over to the coolant tank. Its job is to provide a pathway for excess coolant to flow out the top of the radiator and into the expansion tank. It is constructed of two short preformed rubber tubes clamped to a long piece of extruded plastic tube. Therein lies the problem as this plastic tube grows brittle with age and heat and can develop hairline cracks which can be difficult to find. And often if left untouched it seems to stay together, but when moved or handled during other repairs you can often kiss it goodbye.

Hopefully some of the $2200 you have spent was to install a new water pump, thermostat, coolant reservoir expansion tank, belts, hoses and the vent tube. Any 545i on the road, regardless of miles, is old enough that preventive maintenance on the cooling system is critical.

What you have spent so far will seem like a drop in the bucket if your all-aluminum engine is badly overheated due to a coolant system failure.