Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 03-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 XDrive 28i
i tested my sound system on my x3 today, I think sound is very reasonable, for most people they would not need to upgrade to Premium sound. use that money for other packages. HUD is nice but really not worth the money, I had HUD on my Pontiac in 1998 so it not such a big deal really. I think after Premium and technology i would add M sport and CWP. that should do it on X3.
E90 2007
E46 2005
Old 03-30-2013, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 128i
2014 X3 is coming with the upgraded nav and the full-color, multi-function HUD that is on the 6er.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: -
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugger1869 View Post
2014 X3 is coming with the upgraded nav and the full-color, multi-function HUD that is on the 6er.
Which is awesome news. HUD is no longer an independent option; now part of the Technology package, I believe.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
You should get the sport seats. Whatever it takes. Nav and HUD are gadgets I would want. But premium sound seems a waste of money. No car is a good environment for audio.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:15 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
I consider the following to be essential no compromise options that transform the X3 into a very capable fun SAV;

35i engine - 0-60 in 5.3 seconds - as fast as a Porsche Cayenne -

M Sport - Sport Seats - M Wheel and other M inspired tweaks – the standard seat is inadequate especially if you are tall.

DHP - I would not own a BMW without it – huge bang for a few $.

Tech/Nav - I'm not spending $50/60K to look at a Garmin.

BTW Premium Stereo - I have it and like it very much but I would not consider it essential.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: X3 M-sport
I'm 5'7 (so about avg height).

I drove 2 cars:

X3 28i without M-sport package and liked it.
X1 35i with M-sport and like it as well. The thigh support is good but not sure If I'm going to use it as often as someone who is taller than I.

I've almost finalized the build and I'm pretty sure my dealer is dreading another email from me asking about more changes

Should I forego M-sport and go for regular seats? If I do this, then I would be adding DHP for sure. My question is - Does M-sport offer different driving dynamics compared to stock + DHP ?

Tech package comes with navigation and HUD. If I order the navigation alone, I'd probably save 1.1K on the HUD. How many folks out there use their HUD daily? Want to know your opinion and daily use pattern. What is displayed on there?

I liked it but it could also be just fascination for new technology

Last edited by vzx; 03-31-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:06 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
I like the X1 35i a lot - $50K fully loaded and I believe hydraulic steering - however my German shepherd dog's kennel does not fit so the X1 was a non-starter.

Personally for me – I need the sport seats - I am 6' 3" tall and the regular seats are too uncomfortable for me. I also like the M Steering wheel and the look of the 19" wheels. Dynamically, I would guess that a non M Sport car with DHP would be equivalent to one equipped with M Sport and DHP but I am not certain - I always considered M Sport to be a very nice styling exercise.

HUD? – Not for me – I really do not like it. My M3 was in the shop for 10 days after I hit a sink hole and the 535ix loaner had HUD. Had a chance to get up close and personal with HUD and I still did not care for it. Many consider it to be an essential option.

You have only good choices – let your own needs and desires guide you.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3 coupe ZCP DCT
I believe the suspension between M-sport and standard is the same with the only difference in the 19" vs. 18" rims respectively. IMO, the DHP would have a impact on the driving dynamics. Unfortunately, locating one in a dealers inventory to demo could be difficult.

For the HUD, if you wear polarized sunglasses the image cannot be seen. Of course this will reduce the benefit to only nighttime viewing. Would it be worth the $1k (tech pkg vs. standalone nav), if it was my money, I would rather go with the premium sound or DHP.

For reference, I do not own a X3. However I am in the process of helping my wife pick her next vehicle which the X3 3.5i is either 1a or 1b (Q5 3.0T being the other). We have test driven the X3 several times and if it were my vehicle it would have the M-sport and DHP. However my wife doesn't like the thick steering wheel (M-sport) and wouldn't touch the mode switch for eco, sport, etc. So her potential vehicle wouldn't have these options.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:49 AM

Just noticed that if I ordered the 2014 X3 M-sport package I get the option of selecting

Delete sport suspension (which means I will have standard suspension) and go for dynamic damper control. In addition, it will also have performance control.

So In essence, if I add the DHP package on top of the M-sport, the only addition I get is Variable sport steering. Not sure if that is worth the $1300 upgrade.

I read a lot about DHP here and at X3bimmers forums. From what I understand, DHP adds the capacity to change chasis / suspension responsiveness when we switch from comfort --> sport --> sport plus. Without DHP it would be more of a throttle response only.

Since this would be my daily commute car as well (35 miles roundtrip), I certainly do not want to be stuck in a stiff sport suspension all the time. Having some control over my suspension would be great.

So I'm assuming that I will get this with removing sport suspension and adding DDC on the M-sport package. I probably do not need to add DHP to get the variable sport steering. What does it do differently anyway?
Old 04-01-2013, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by vzx View Post
Just noticed that if I ordered the 2014 X3 M-sport package I get the option of selecting

Delete sport suspension (which means I will have standard suspension) and go for dynamic damper control. In addition, it will also have performance control.

So In essence, if I add the DHP package on top of the M-sport, the only addition I get is Variable sport steering. Not sure if that is worth the $1300 upgrade.

I read a lot about DHP here and at X3bimmers forums. From what I understand, DHP adds the capacity to change chasis / suspension responsiveness when we switch from comfort --> sport --> sport plus. Without DHP it would be more of a throttle response only.

Since this would be my daily commute car as well (35 miles roundtrip), I certainly do not want to be stuck in a stiff sport suspension all the time. Having some control over my suspension would be great.

So I'm assuming that I will get this with removing sport suspension and adding DDC on the M-sport package. I probably do not need to add DHP to get the variable sport steering. What does it do differently anyway?
When I was ordering my 2014 X3, we were not able to get the DDC eventhough it said Sport Suspension delete. You have to add DHP inorder to get the DDC, so I went ahead and added the DHP for 1300. You can have your dealer configure it in their system to see if it allowed. I checked at 2 dealerships and it did not give an option to choose between SSD or DDC.
2014 X3 28i[/B] - Alpine White with Black Nevada Leather - Fineline Wave wood - Premium - M Sport - Lighting - Dynamic Handling - Driver Assistance with Top View - Navigation - High gloss Roof rails - Shadowline
Old 04-02-2013, 12:22 PM

Finally ordered everything. This is my first BMW and I wanted to experience everything that makes this brand unique.

If I don't like a feature, I know not to order it in my next one.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 XDrive 28i
great, no buyers remorse.
E90 2007
E46 2005
Old 04-02-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Finally ordered everything. This is my first BMW and I wanted to experience everything that makes this brand unique.

Congrats
2014 X3 28i[/B] - Alpine White with Black Nevada Leather - Fineline Wave wood - Premium - M Sport - Lighting - Dynamic Handling - Driver Assistance with Top View - Navigation - High gloss Roof rails - Shadowline
Old 04-02-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:

One Question?, Did you try to delete SSD and add DDC in the M Sport Package or did you have to add DHP to get the DDC (I had too, just checking if that has changed).
Old 04-02-2013, 12:57 PM

Could not add DDC alone (for free). It was a $1300 option. At that price I just went ahead with DHP
Old 04-02-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Could not add DDC alone (for free). It was a $1300 option. At that price I just went ahead with DHP
Thanks. Well I did the same. But from what I hear, Variable Sport steering is an awesome feature and it works together with DDC
Old 07-19-2013, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Tech package needed???

I just put a deposit down on a 2014 X3 yesterday. I get a call from the dealer today saying you can't get the Driver Assistance Package without the Technology package...and that would add $650 on to my price. Pretty frustrating after I am thinking I am all done with the negotiations. But, it looks like from your post you were able to order it that way. Can you verify that's what you ended up getting? Thanks!
Old 07-19-2013, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatheredw View Post
I just put a deposit down on a 2014 X3 yesterday. I get a call from the dealer today saying you can't get the Driver Assistance Package without the Technology package...and that would add $650 on to my price. Pretty frustrating after I am thinking I am all done with the negotiations. But, it looks like from your post you were able to order it that way. Can you verify that's what you ended up getting? Thanks!
Are you sure you have the details right? I don't believe the Technology package is a prerequisite for the Driver Assistance Package, and in any case the Technology package MSRP is $3150.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:27 PM

Thank you for responding. I was already getting the navigation separate and the drivers assistance pkg and plus as well as top view camera add on. So the difference between that and just doing the tech pkg was $650. I also didn't think it was a prerequisite because when you build it online it doesn't trigger a pop-up that tells you that's needed For instance, it does tell you if you push Drivers Assistance plus 1st, it will say you have to add the drivers assistance pkg first. Dealer says that's a glitch on the site. Frustrating to have paperwork signed for them to put in order and then get a call the next day. Can't tell if its a way to get more $ or if its legit.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 2.8i
Quote:
According to the April buying guide you need either nav or tech. Tech is not required. Nav alone is fine
Old 07-19-2013, 05:27 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but where can I find this buying guide?
Old 07-19-2013, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 2.8i
Go to the sticky post on the first page of this forum. It has a title about 2014 pricing. Look at the two attachments. The fine print in the second attachment says what prerequisites are required for options. It says zda requires either 609 (nav) ot ztp (tech)
Old 07-19-2013, 06:15 PM

You are awesome. Thank you!
Old 07-19-2013, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Thank you for responding. I was already getting the navigation separate and the drivers assistance pkg and plus as well as top view camera add on. So the difference between that and just doing the tech pkg was $650.
The difference between the cost of Nav alone and the full Tech package is $1150. The items other than Nav in the Tech pkg do not include any of the driver's assist pkg, so I don't understand why you would only be charged $650.

But that aside, it *is* stated in the BMW ordering guide for the X1 (E84) that ZDA requires ordering ZTP, so perhaps your dealer has confused the rules for X1 ordering with rules for the X3.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: X3
HUD is not visable or even usable except at night. Sunglasses block it if they are polarized.

Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 07-20-2013 at 10:59 AM.