Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 07-20-2013, 03:25 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i xDrive
High Battery Drain

My new-to-me 535i has about 17,000 miles on it and has been performing flawlessly. However, when I started it after a 5 day interval, I got a "High Battery Drain" error message on the console. The car started right up and performed fine. The message did not come back when I stopped the car after a few minutes of driving. However, 3 days later, there it was again.

The car has Comfort Access but the key is no where near the car when it's parked. Any ideas ? I'm going on a long trip next week and don't want any problems. Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 07-20-2013, 03:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
High Battery Drain

I have read that a defective door handle will do this. Try a search in the 7 series forum for comfort access. I think that's where I read about it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

'11 328i
'07 Audi A8 (w/ 20,000 miles)
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold & new owner totaled it 4 hours later)
Old 07-20-2013, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Sounds like you're simply not driving it enough or your battery is going bad and not holding a charge. if the car is sitting unused for 5 day/3 day intervals, you will probably get that message as the battery discharges. You stated that it goes away after you start driving it....that's probably the alternator recharging the battery. I would hook up a battery tender when its not being used, get the battery checked out/replaced, or simply drive it more often if possible. If you are having that "high battery drain" message and you drive the car daily, I would then assume you have a problem if you've tried the other methods i've suggested...

Others:
2006 Corvette Conv, Z51,6sp (wife)
2007 Honda CBR1000RR Sold
2005 Triumph Daytona 650 (wife) Sold

Old 07-20-2013, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 535i X drive
How old is the Battery ? And how mileage do you do?
Old 07-20-2013, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim165 View Post
Sounds like you're simply not driving it enough or your battery is going bad and not holding a charge. if the car is sitting unused for 5 day/3 day intervals, you will probably get that message as the battery discharges. You stated that it goes away after you start driving it....that's probably the alternator recharging the battery. I would hook up a battery tender when its not being used, get the battery checked out/replaced, or simply drive it more often if possible. If you are having that "high battery drain" message and you drive the car daily, I would then assume you have a problem if you've tried the other methods i've suggested...
A battery should not go dead in a 5 day period even with all these electronics in cars these days.

OP if you drive short distances consistently, you're battery isn't getting charged. The alternator only charges the battery above 2000 rpms, which is mostly highway driving.

Like this guy said, get the battery checked out. Specifically, get a load test performed. Also invest in a battery tender, if you do drive short distances and only drive the car periodically.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 07-20-2013, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i xDrive
Thank you, all, for your suggestions. I took the car to Bayside BMW in Queens, NY today and had the battery checked. Apparently, the battery is fine and the service advisor suggested that I drive the car more often. I was also told to remove the iphone charging cable I keep plugged in the USB port in the armrest. And lastly, I'll see if I can hook up a battery tender to keep the battery charged up. I'm just surprised (but perhaps I shouldn't be) how electronic-dependent this car is. In some ways, it is like a computer with an engine. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Late model BMWs employ "EfficientDynamics" and do battery charging mainly during braking and deceleration.

2008 535i Monaco Blue
PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7,
NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS,
iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Trim,
Gray Dakota Leather, COBB tune
Old 07-20-2013, 08:55 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
High Battery Drain

I had a similar/same problem on my E60 and my service department said it was a defective battery and it was replaced under warranty (the battery had already been replaced and I was told they know there are defective batteries out there so there is warranty on them).

After that, no problems even when sitting around for a week.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry