Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 99 Z3 M Coupe/99 540i
Window Stuck Down

Yesterday my driver's side window stuck in the full down position. It would go up about 1/2" and that's it. There are plenty of good write-ups on how to replace the regulator but they all presume that you can nurse the window at least half way up in order to remove the glass. The window would not go up. As near as I can tell, the control system for the window stops the motor when the current draw reaches a certain point. Then it will only allow the motor to go in the opposite direction. There's a nifty little dogleg hex key in the car tool kit that is supposed to to be used to turn the window mechanism in just this type of situation. Unfortunately they didn't put any place in this particular regulator/motor assembly to use the key. I finally found a way to get the window to go up enough to remove the glass. It's not too difficult and I hope it saves somebody else some grief.

1. Find the window motor by looking through this access hole (see Pic 1). remove the 2 electrical connectors, one on top, one on the bottom and tuck them out of the way. Looking through the access hole you can see at least 2 of the 4 screws that hold the rear cover of the motor on.

2. The 4 screws that hold the cover on are T20 Torx. (see Pic 2). There isn't much room in there for tools. I had to use a little T20 bit in a hex bit extension and a small hex ratchet (see Pic 3) to remove them.

3. Once all 4 screws are out (the bottom 2 are all by feel, patience is required) pull and wiggle the cover back and off the motor. This exposes the armature of the motor (see Pic 4). By hand, turn the armature clockwise as viewed from the front of the car while lifting up on the bottom of the window. It takes a lot of turning and the window moves up very slowly, but at least it moves now.

4. Once the window is about half way up (and assuming you've already removed the front guide rail for the window as all the DIY write-ups instruct) you will now be able to slide the glass forward far enough to release both of the plastic sliders from the guides on the bottom of the glass. Once that's done you can get on with the business of fixing the regulator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	access.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	387637   Click image for larger version

Name:	screws.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	387638   Click image for larger version

Name:	tool.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	387639   Click image for larger version

Name:	armature.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	387640  
Ads by Google
Old 07-20-2013, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
Wow. That's ingenious. Nice work overcoming the problem.
My first thought would have been, "Well, windows aren't THAT expensive."
Old 07-20-2013, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 99 Z3 M Coupe/99 540i
Believe me, it crossed my mind.