Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 07-18-2013, 05:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530i 5spd Manual
Might get '08-'10 M5 Need the ins & outs

Hey guys, I have 2 bmw's, 335i and a E39 530i. I'm a serious DIY bmw guy. I know all the ins and outs of the E90 335i and E39. What are the trouble points on the M5? What do I need to be looking at? Is it a reliable car? At least it has no turbos.

Garage queen: '07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, staggered 18" 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Llumar ATR Tint.
Ads by Google
Old 07-21-2013, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: M5
The E60 M5 is a great car IMHO. As far as DIY on this car, that may be a stretch but hey some people are very skilled and can hack through stuff. Problem with the M5 is everything is electronic. I have read somewhere that the DME (engine computer) in this car is one of the most sophisticated ever done by BMW. I'm specifically talking about the E60 with SMG. It's just amazing. It will rev match (blip throttle) on upshifts and downshifts, automatically feather the clutch depending on speed, load etc., Adjust shift speed depending on rev's and speed and how you have the car set up. People complain that the SMG is 'Jerkey' and if you don't drive it right it is. You don't buy this car thinking you are getting a premium 'Luxury' sedan. This car is all about power and performance. In the early manufacture M5's there were issues with the VANOS lines which BMW Fixed and retrofitted. People do post issues with the SMG pumps and clutch but I personally have not had any problems. I also dont drive the car like an Idiot doing doughnuts and holeshots. The V10 engine is just amazing. Its incredibly smooth and seems to never stop pulling. If you plan to get service through through a dealer, it is expensive. Oil change and 2 air filters last month for me was $433.00. Many guys use Indy shops and pay a lot less and have no problems. I don't have one I trust so I stay with my dealer. If its going to be your daily driver be prepared to spend a lot of time at the gas pump. I average about 10 MPG. I love my M5. Test drive one at length first before you buy it. The SMG takes a little getting used to but CAN be driven seamlessly despite what some owners say. Good Luck!!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 M5
I purchased my 08 m5 for $28k it has 80k miles, I did my research, Carfax and went to a BMW dealer to look at the previous history and a diagnostic which cost me $160.00. Car was very well maintained, and in great condition, so I took the leap of faith. I am very happy with my purchase, very hard to find a vehicle with the same type of performance for the price. Now I have extra $$$ to play with. DEFINITELY BUY EXTENDED WARRANTY for the vehicle if it's not a CPO!!!
Old 11-30-2013, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 645ci
Might get '08-'10 M5 Need the ins & outs

I'm looking to buy a 2010 M5 SMG.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-14-2013, 10:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Dinan E60 M5 & 545i
I have been looking on and off for about 4 months now, I definitely want a manual.
2004 545iA, Titansilber Metallic/Black Dakota, Sport, Premium & Cold Weather Packages, Navigation, Premium Sound, Logic 7, HL Washers, Active Steering/Suspension, PDC, Adaptive Bi-Xenon,Voice Command, Beltronics STiR +, 58% Full Tint, Smoked Side Markers, 19" Hyper Silver Avant Garde M359/Michelin PSS, M5 Trunk Finisher & iDrive Controller, Dinan Performance Mods: High Flow Intake & Throttle Body, S3 Engine Software, S1 Suspension, CF Front Strut Brace and High Flow Exhaust