Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 bmw z3
Alarm

I'm needing help figuring out what's wrong with my alarm system on my 97 Z3. When I used the key fob to lock the doors it only chirps but doesn't lock it. Does anyone have an idea what could be going on? It's done this since I've purchased the car from a friend but would like to fix it.
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2013, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 99 m Roadster
alarm

It is quite possible that the switch behind Radio may have popped off That will cause the alarm not to set It also seems that there are lots of cars with hood switch issues My car radio switch was the problem It is an easy check and an easy fix
Old 07-21-2013, 01:46 PM

Can you tell me what to do to check what you thought could be the problem?
Old 07-21-2013, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 99 m Roadster
Look up how to remove the radio Once you pull the radio out which is very simple there is a piece of plastic that sticks straight out of the radio in the very back That piece of plastic fits into the radio security switch that sometimes falls off it is attached in the dashboard All you have to do is pull the radio out so you can see if the switch is intact It should take you 15 minutes to check that Do not disconnect the radio wires unless you have the radio code You can pull the radio out without disconnecting it
Old 07-21-2013, 02:01 PM

Thanks
Old 07-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 99 Z3 M Coupe/99 540i
A quick way to see if it's the hood switch is to open the hood and push down the switch by hand and then try to lock it. The switch should be on the metal frame just behind the driver's side headlight.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:38 PM
John

Mein Auto: 2000 M roadster
Could be a door lock actuator failure. Does the trunk or gas door lock and just the driver and passenger doors don't?
If you are getting a single chirp, I don't think that is a switch failure. I think that you get three chirps and nothing locks if you have a bad switch.
Check to see if the trunk or any door is locked when it chirps once. If anything is locked, then whatever is not may have a bad lock actuator.