Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 07-12-2013, 11:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528e
'88 528e Bad oil leak. Oil Filter Housing Gasket?

Hi, I decided to take on a project car and well it's become a headache.
I bought this car from craigslist for $600 (the tires + rims on it are worth at least 5) so I figured what the hell.
It has a very bad oil leak coming from above the oil filter on the side of the block that leaks down the front right of the block then back through again over the oil pan. It only leaks when it is running. I've read that BMW's are notorious for the oil filter housing gasket going bad and leaking oil causing the front of the block to look like a sludgy mess, which is what my car has, and the leak seems to be coming from the housing.

I also plan on changing the oil pressure sending unit because they're so cheap and easy and I can't tell if it's leaking because it's such a mess when the car is running.

There is a very, very small antifreeze leak as well and I hope the two unrelated and I hope it isn't a blown head gasket.

Another thing I hope is unrelated is the loss of power this car has. It has zero power from 0 to 30. I'm guessing it's the ignition coil. (problem for another day? I can test it tomorrow)
(Also, how could this be related?)

The car has pretty low miles for an old car (130k) which leads me to believe it sat for a while, then ran again without changing the fluids or gaskets.

My question is: do you think it's the oil filter housing gasket? And I couldn't find any information on disassembling/assembling the housing on a 528e engine. Has anyone ever done this to this engine? What are your thoughts?

Thank you for looking
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2013, 06:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
When you say housing are you talking about the filter? I would suggest replacing the oil and cleaning up the engine so you can see where it is leaking. As to the antifreeze leaking where is it coming out? Last but not least if you plan on driving the car make sure you replace the timing belt, it is nly good for 60 thousand miles or 4 years. If it breaks bad things happen to the engine.

Andy
Old 07-13-2013, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the reply. I found the oil leak. It seems to be coming from a (pressure?) house by oil pan and from the other side of the hose. The hose by the oil pan will leak first and then a few seconds later it leaks from the other side and the oil goes through a house where other wire are wrapped it, it's strange. I included picture. I would replace this hose but I have no clue where the other end is! It disappears into the harness. I don't even know what this sensor/hose is called. Can someone help? I have pictures.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: '74 tii / E28s / '03 530i
528e uses a spin-on filter - is it tight, or is there an additional O-ring/gasket stuck onto the housing? The oil pressure switch can fail where the metal & plastic are "bonded" together - it's near the filter.
The small 6's leak in the front right corner is common. Is the valve cover is good shape, as well as the rubber "blocks" that fit in the corners under the cover?

Last edited by John in VA; 07-14-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:43 PM

It was happening before, but I just changed the oil and yes the filter is pretty tight, but I had an inexperienced friend put it in, I didn't even think to look for an o-ring, but I tightened it. Would that cause this leak? Also, where is the oil pressure sender? I can't find it. I thought for a minute that what I circled in my picture was it, but it would have to actually be screwed into the block, no?
I found once leak, the hose I circled, but along the wire it's leaking also, I'm guessing from the other side of this sensor and it's trickling down the tube that the wire are wrapped in. There is zero oil coming from the valve cover, the only oil i see dripping is from the two spots in my pictures.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: '74 tii / E28s / '03 530i
The boot for the oil pressure switch on our 325e looked different from what you depict, but yes - it screws into the block below the filter and has a wire attached to it. Ours had a spade connector; yours might have a pin connector as it's newer, I'm not sure.

See #3 here: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...=11&fg=10&hl=9

To know which one you need put the last 7 digits of your VIN in at the start of realoem.com - http://realoem.com/bmw/select.do?kin...el=528e&arch=1
Old 07-14-2013, 05:28 PM

Okay, so I pull the sensor from the car and I found out that it's the Oil Pressure Switch
w/ injector type electrical connector. No place here has it from what I can tell so I have to order it from rock auto, it's only $2. I hope this solves the problem.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:52 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
I had the same leak that you had some time ago. It was suprising that it came out of the oil pressure switch at a rapid rate. Its a $10 or less part, a very cheap repair.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:22 PM

Thank for the input Catso.
I have a question, when you had that leak; was it leaking from 2 different places? Like what's shown in my pictures. The second leak from the hose housing the wire to the pressure switch?
Old 07-15-2013, 07:56 PM
catso

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePro8011 View Post
Thank for the input Catso.
I have a question, when you had that leak; was it leaking from 2 different places? Like what's shown in my pictures. The second leak from the hose housing the wire to the pressure switch?
I had just one leak, but it travelled along the wire. The leak was actually only coming from the sensor.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:46 PM

Thanks catso. Just wanted to that I changed out the oil pressure switch and that fixed the oil leak problem
Old 03-11-2014, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 86' 528e and 00' 528IT
Hey guys, I have an 86 528e with similar leak issue. But mine looks like the oil is coming from the pressure sensor and somewhere higher up, toward the front of the block, below the exhaust manifold. It's definitely not coming from the valve cover gasket, since I just replaced it. But is there another place I should look? Hard to tell, even tho I degreased and cleaned it pretty well.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:55 PM
catso

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocodile View Post
Hey guys, I have an 86 528e with similar leak issue. But mine looks like the oil is coming from the pressure sensor and somewhere higher up, toward the front of the block, below the exhaust manifold. It's definitely not coming from the valve cover gasket, since I just replaced it. But is there another place I should look? Hard to tell, even tho I degreased and cleaned it pretty well.
Change the sensor, clean the area very thoroughly, and watch for more leakage. The oil is under pressure at the sensor, so maybe there was a small hole causing it to spray upward.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: 86' 528e and 00' 528IT
Quote:
Originally Posted by catso View Post
Change the sensor, clean the area very thoroughly, and watch for more leakage. The oil is under pressure at the sensor, so maybe there was a small hole causing it to spray upward.
Will do. Thanks for the tip.

And for anyone trying to eliminate other leaks, be very careful when seating and torquing the bolts after replacing the valve cover gasket. Too much torque = leak. Too little torque = leak. (learned the hard way)