Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: 98 Z3 M-Sport
Z3 M Coupe - Electrical problems

I just purchased a Z3M coupe yesterday and noticed last night when driving that neither the instrument panel nor driver side rear and front markers don't work. I have checked the bulbs in question with a DVM and replace one which was burnt out. I have also cleaned the contacts and checked for voltage at the bulb connector and at the harness with not luck. I also checked for severed wires at the harness that is connected to the trunk lid and it looked fine also.

On reading previous posts on the dash lights I will just order a replacement switch from BMW.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2013, 08:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 99 Z3 M Coupe/99 540i
I suspect someone has been in the dash. The left side running lights are are powered from the same contact on the headlight switch (right side looks to be a different contact, same switch). The light switch also lights the instrument cluster lights. I'd take a look at the head light switch. Could be a bad headlight switch, or maybe just a loose connector.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:09 PM

Thanks Marty.

I will replace the headlight switch assembly for I did check the wires to the shifter knob and they were frayed. I will post my results after replacement. I hope to get this wiring issue behind me so I can start enjoying the car!
Old 07-21-2013, 07:36 PM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Before you replace the hdlt switch, VERIFY that the gray w/red stripe wire is NOT shorted to ground! The rheostat in the switch WILL BLOW before the fuse that's supposed to protect the circuit.

Most obvious location is @ the shift knob; knob gets pulled off during a quick shift, and jammed back on while keeping an eye on the road__crushing the insulation in the process.

Or, in the case of my own gray car, you pinch the gray w/red stripe wire when reinstalling the console! Since I always kept the instrument panel light on full brilliance, I soldered a jumper across the rheostat terminals (ON the switch). I bought a new switch about five (>5) years ago, but it's still in the box, haven't put it on the car yet.

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 07-21-2013, 10:19 PM

Thanks Randy for your reply. Upon checking the shifter knob it appear the insulation on the wiring had worn away leaving bare wires exposed. The local BMW dealership wants $70 for a replacement switch so I may just try your suggestion on jumping the terminals on the rheostat. I am sure there is a post on it somewhere.

Cheers,

Ken.