Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z 3
Good Morning People

Lost patience re my inability to attach jpegs to my Posts and found a Work Around to enable new be`s and other interested members to view/see three versions of OEM BMW seats in the Z 3. If you are interested click on My Handle go to my Profile and once there you will see My Albumn on the right of your screen. Then if you click on Odds and Sods and a new window will open and you will see four pictures which depict from right to left: the Standard (Base) Seat, the Sport Seat (with extention at the front), the (what I call the full M seat) (front Extention is more pronounced (a Hump), and just for more visability a two tone version of a full M seat just for Rare M.

Hope this proves useful to all parties.

RJJ

Last edited by rjjlz3; 03-10-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3, 2.8, Manual
I don't know if I would say I'm impressed. It does change your position for the better. There are a few things that come to mind though. You are still sitting on an uncomfortable seat. Also, it makes your legs a little higher. If you are like me and have long legs you run the risk of hitting the back of the wheel with your knee.Finally, I find that the mod forces me harder onto the seat back which makes the lumbar support uncomfortable.

Matt
Old 02-23-2012, 08:18 AM
formerly updmst

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe, 1997 318ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattochan View Post
I don't know if I would say I'm impressed. It does change your position for the better. There are a few things that come to mind though. You are still sitting on an uncomfortable seat. Also, it makes your legs a little higher. If you are like me and have long legs you run the risk of hitting the back of the wheel with your knee.Finally, I find that the mod forces me harder onto the seat back which makes the lumbar support uncomfortable.

Matt
Same thing for me. Shortening the spacers by 1/4 inch made for a better compromise.

Doug
Old 02-23-2012, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjjlz3 View Post
Good Morning People

Lost patience re my inability to attach jpegs to my Posts and found a Work Around to enable new bees and other interested members to view/see three versions of OEM BMW seats in the Z 3. If you are interested click on My Handle go to my Profile and once there you will see My Albumn on the right of your screen. Then if you click on Odds and Sods and a new window will open and you will see four pictures which depict from right to left: the Standard Seat, the Sport Seat (with extention at the front), the (what I call the full M seat) (front Extention is more pronounced (a Hump), and just for more visability a two tone version of a full M seat just for Rare M.

Hope this proves useful to all parties.

RJJ
Thanks for the post.
I didn't realize I had the full M seat.
It's black & Blue. My car is a 2001 Roadster 3.0 litre Non M.
I drove the car home in 14 hours when I first bought it in July 2010.
I didn't find the seats uncomfortable at all.
Howerver, I do a very strict regime of only 2 hours of driving at a time then a 5 or 10 minute break to stretch.
I started this regime about 30 years ago when I found myself in the wrong lane on a long straight stretch. (I had fallen asleep at the wheel). I scared myself, and did a lot of research on how to avoid doing it again. It's a real killer.

I have purchased the seat angle change kit, but am waiting for spring to get her out of storage to install it. We still have about 5 feet of snow here, and looks like there may be more coming this weekend.

RJJ, Living in La Bon Province, you know how I must feel.
Greg.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 M-coupe
Z3 tilt MOD.... AWESOME!!!! Couldn't believe how much of a change in the seat it makes form just a 3/4" rise (roughly)... Clearly BMW should have thought of that from the beginning instead of making us M/Z3 owners break our backs and feel as if we are sitting on the ground, since 1996... I haven't taking it on a long drive yet but some just stock height to MOD height, makes a HELL of a difference! Even getting in and out of the car is so much better.

Total kit ran me about $12 from ACE and Fastenal and 15 mins to complete each seat. (Side note: BMW has a Gorilla with Asian hands (NO offense to Asians) working for them in the factory tightening those rear seat bolts in those tiny spots!!! Clearly the hardest part was loosening them..) I added some Cut Washers with my install just for mind sake, don't know if it will really make a difference.

One thing I plan on doing is figuring out will be how much shear force it will take to snap them. (I'm an Engineer, so I kinda have too) Just so that I won't die in an accident, because of comfort. Will keep you all updated.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1987 Subaru Brat
This is a shot of the original and extremely comfortable seats in our 98 2.8.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z3 Seats.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	314771  

'87 Brat
Old 03-02-2012, 08:28 AM

RJJ Here

Glad to see Engineer pick up on my comment re possible problem at back end of seat rails when installing Tilt Mod Kit. I also agree with his way of thinking by adding half moon flat washer at front side of mounting point at rear of seat rail. For those of us with big hands would suggest raising seat to highest position prior to tackling modification exercise. Rare//M, Do keep us posted re any finding re your Shear Force concerns.

P.S. for those thinking about reducing lift by 1/4 inch or thereabout suggest you consider not using small washers on floor board and on top of coupler before trying to cut of the 1/4 inch off coupler. Unless done by a machinist DIY exercise will not result in cutting off exactly 1/4 inch on the four couplers. When I do the modification, I will also consider using Lock Washer between Seat Rail and Nut rather than ordinary flat washer.

For Aba4430 Have you done Tilt Mod or are you saying BMW Full M Z 3 Seats Extremely Comfortable as OEM ???
Old 03-02-2012, 06:24 PM

I tried the 1/4 inch cut on the spacers but there weren't enough threads left in the to make a good connection. I ended up putting 3 thick washers under the rear bolt to lift it up 1/4 inch. So far, so good.

M
Old 03-03-2012, 09:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1987 Subaru Brat
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjjlz3 View Post
For Aba4430 Have you done Tilt Mod or are you saying BMW Full M Z 3 Seats Extremely Comfortable as OEM ???
No tilt mod. My seats are non-M original sport seats and extremely comfortable. My better half drove the car from VA to FL last July, non-stop, other than gas and food breaks and she was full of praise about the seats and comfort.

'87 Brat
Old 03-03-2012, 12:01 PM

To aba4430 and other interested parties

FYI, Yr Z 3 has what I call the Full M Sport Seats. If you refer to Post 26 of this Thread and follow the directions therein to Odds and Sods file in My Album you will see the three types of Seats offered by BMW in Z 3`s. By chance I chose a Jpeg of seats like the ones in yr vehicle to depict the very evident extra (seperate) piece of leather used to form The Hump at the front of the M Sport Seat. These seats were standard equipment in M Z 3 3.2 l machine. Some Buyers who did not want to shell out the extra +15G`s to buy a Full M, could buy a Z 3 with Optional Packages including, in some cases the Full M Sport Seats. Some of these units were Special Orders or some came from the Assembly Plant in SC with certain/various M built in Options.

If you are not the original owner of this Z 3, I would say that when you bought the vehicle you were fortunate (Like Me) as you got a vehicle with Options that you did not have to pay full price for. I my case I got a Z 3 with certain M Options but I just have the Standard (Base) BMW Z 3 OEM Seats. I have purchased a set of used BMW OEM Sport Seats which I will be Installing in my Z come spring. They are the ones with the Extention at the front of the seat. Almost, but not Full M (see second picture from right in my Odds and Sods album). Even there, I was lucky to find these, as they are the same Interior Code as my Z 3 ie R7SN.

Hope this clarifies the terminology I use when I talk about the three versions of BMW OEM Z 3 Seats.

RJJ

Last edited by rjjlz3; 03-10-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:42 PM

Mein Auto: Car
Mattochan - sending you a pm.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:17 PM

Honestly, I know where on the site to respond to a private message.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:31 PM

Figured it out.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:42 AM

Good Day Friends RJJ here

Due to exceptional mild temperature, many people have taken their Toys out of storage early and I was able to do the same with my Z. Have been able to Remove my Base Seats and replace them with the Sport Seats I had purchased from a firm in Virginia. I installed the Tilt Mod Kit at the same time. As I mentionned in a previous Msg Replacement Seats were from 2001 Z 3 that had 40 some thousand + miles which had been Written Off. Switchover was rather straight forward, but Seats with Rails weight about 55 pounds each, thus care must be taken when removing and repositioning each Seat. Posturing very important especially due to confined space.

Will have to contact the salespaerson I dealt with as new/use passenger seat not fully functional. Very noisey when moved Forward and Backward.

Air bag light in dash stays On, probably due to fact that I disconnected Seats and at Start Up, Ignition sequence does/has not recognized Replacement Seats. May have to use OBD Scanner to double check error and Delete it and hope that clears/corrects/stops warning light in dash from staying lite. Otherwise may have to have situation checked out at Local BMW Dealer.

One final note, Tilt Mod exercise does make one sit In rather that On Seat. Oh, I did put half moon washer on floor boards at front of back bolts to compensate for angle resulting from use of one inch coupler at front seat mounting point.

RJJ
Old 07-19-2013, 12:31 PM
juandadavid

Mein Auto: BMW Z3 M Roadster
Hi I need the seats of a BMW Z3 M ROADSTER because my motors are very dead if know of someone that are selling tis seats let me know to my email

jrm6561@gmail.com
Old 07-22-2013, 04:58 AM

Do your realize what it would cost to ship these seats to Puerto Rico ????

RJJ