Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:19 AM

Mein Auto: E36 325TDS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpire View Post
Allen screw on the hook, then turn the hook to tighten, then set it again with allen key.
thank you so much.. cheers
Old 11-07-2010, 03:22 AM

Mein Auto: E36 325TDS
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnivy View Post
thank you so much.. cheers
thanks sarah.. solved my leaking problem.

cheers
Old 12-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Equine 1/4 miler ancestor

Mein Auto: 2001 M Roadster, 1998 M3
Another thank you to Sarah / FastWoman.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: z3
Smile

Great fix for my leaking roof many thanks I would never have notice the drain hole or the triangular plug.GREAT POST JIMBO 45
Old 03-02-2011, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3
A $4 fix.

Sarah - my quote to repair the weather stripping was closer to $400. After reading your post - and spending $4 on black windshield sealer I am dry as a bone with $396 in my pocket.

You rock out loud.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:50 AM

Mein Auto: Z3
Thank you for a great piece of detective work - I never would have suspected the gap in the triangular as the culprit
Old 06-05-2011, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: Z3 2002 3.0 manual
In case the window seals are totally weathered down, does anybody know the part numbers or a good source to get them other than the dealership?

Nothing shows up anywhere on PelicanParts Bavarian Auto so so. I tried Gummipflege 3 times now in the last few months but it does not help, there is still a gap and water is coming in depending on angle parked and or angle of rain. The rubbers are somewhat compressed and lost their shape and form on the passenger side and there is still a gab between the window and the middle rubber seal. Maybe I have to adjust the rubber seal frames as I am just reading about these in another post.

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2012, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3
Thumbs up Hi to all my Bimmer land friends

First of all it's an honor to share & swap info.with all of you. I reside in the southeastern great state of N.C.,home to much history as the Wright Bros.,Cape Hatteras,BBQ & Moonshine. I'm about 3 hrs. from Greenville S.C. where the Z3 & Z4 Roadsters are assembled. I currently am having problems with a leaky window on my 2000 Z3. Hats off to Fastwoman here. I believe she solved my problem. The post goes back to 2008 and that is how I got here. Many thanks to all who contribute. New friend, Riki

Last edited by Rikeize 3; 01-01-2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Wrong word
Old 01-01-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastWoman View Post
Hi all,

Some of you were so kind as to help me with a leak problem at the A*****ar seal on my 2001 Roadster. The possibility was raised that the rubber had shrunken and needed to be restored with Gummi-Phlege (sp?) or something similar. I did that, with only modest improvement in the situation. Then I followed another recommendation of tightening the roof latch. That apeared to "fix" the problem, at least for the moment.

Then I got my new/used hardtop and fitted it to the car. I got slow leaks at the A*****ar seals on both sides. This time, I KNEW that I had good, tight contact between the rubber on both sides, so the problem had to lie elsewhere.

When looking at the problem further, I discovered the problem. I'm thinking it's got to be a problem on other cars too -- probably even a common one.

If you look at the A-pillar seal on the windshield side, it looks like this...

See the almost triangular-shaped rubber recess in the middle of the thing? That's actually a rubber plug. Take note of it.

Now look at the top side of the seal. In this picture, notice the rain groove, just forward of the seal above the windshield. It communicates with a recess in the A*****ar rubber. An overflow (?) hole exists just next to it. You can put a probe in one hole and see it through the other hole...

These holes both connect to the interior of the weather stripping in the door jamb, such that water flowing into these holes flows around the door and exits through weep holes in the weather stripping in the step plate area...

(pardon the focus)

Now, look back up at the rubber semi-triangular plug. That's what stands between the convoluted aquaduct system and the A-pillar seal.

This is the other side of the A-pillar seal (on a hardtop)...

Note that if the water gets past the plug, there is nothing to keep it from flowing into the interior of the car. In fact it is actually diverted in that direction.

AND HERE IS THE PROBLEM...

The glue/adhesive fastening the plug in the hole had given way, allowing the water to leak from the grand aquaduct, into the A-pillar seal, and ultimately into the interior of the car. I was able to verify that water came out from around the plug when I poured water through the drainage hole on the outside of the car. And yes, this had happened on both sides of the car. (Please note: I verified the leak before actually poking anything into this area!!)

Exploring further, I poked a screwdriver into the hole and found that the adhesive came apart VERY easily all the way around -- again, on both sides of the car. So I applied an adhesive to the gap between the plug and the surrounding rubber. It's curing tonight. I can only presume this will solve my leakage problem.

I *think* that may also solve the leakage problem of at least one other list member as well -- new ragtop, new leak. I think the leak can show up when a different amount of compression on the seal causes the gap between the plug and surrounding rubber to open up.

I hope that helps a few other folks!

Peace,
Sarah
As I had stated earlier in my first post. This fine persistent Bimmer member did her homework. I only hope Sarah aka Fastwoman is still around.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Puffessor

Mein Auto: 1997 z3 2.8
I'm chiming in late, but thanks for the descriptive solution. It's been a problem for over a year, and i'm hopeful this is the solution
Old 10-11-2012, 08:43 AM

I was just referred to this thread for help and I have the same exact problem. Thank you very much for this post. It was very helpful for my same situation.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:15 AM

HI THERE LMYZ3, CHECK THIS OUT. I tried the method that was in my original post you responded to and found i still had a leak. But I had my BMW Mech. to play around with it 1 day and he found this. When you pop the top up, look at the rubber seal over top the windshield where the latching hooks go into the hole. I found that over the years that area takes some punishment and there was some torn rubber there. He patched that and i have been leak free ever since. So if the A Pillar seal didn't fix the leak try that area. Happy Zeeing..
Old 10-11-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikeize 3 View Post
HI THERE LMYZ3, CHECK THIS OUT. I tried the method that was in my original post you responded to and found i still had a leak. But I had my BMW Mech. to play around with it 1 day and he found this. When you pop the top up, look at the rubber seal over top the windshield where the latching hooks go into the hole. I found that over the years that area takes some punishment and there was some torn rubber there. He patched that and i have been leak free ever since. So if the A Pillar seal didn't fix the leak try that area. Happy Zeeing..
Wow, thank you for your quick response. I will try that. I really love this thread as it is exactly the same problem I have. I have been tinkering with the Gummi Pflege which does not work for me.

I hate to ask but would you mind taking a picture of the troubled area and post it? I popped the top and I do not see any fraying but that doesn't mean it isn't destroyed possibly.

Last edited by lovemyz3; 10-11-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:15 AM

If i find time. But just check the entire seal across the top of windshield and along down the side of windshield. As well as the rubber seal that your door windows roll up against.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3 _ 2.2cc_ M Pack
Thank you all for the precise and effective solutions ! I feel so privileged to have joined this forum !
My Z3 is happy and dry again!
Greetings !
Athenian
GRC
Old 01-16-2013, 07:57 PM

Leakage

Hello ! Fast Women, I had the same problem but didn't delve into it as much as you did. I'm going to follow your steps to verify my leak. Thanks alot and the pictures surely helped. Blimey
Old 03-14-2013, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: Z3 Roadster
Thanks for the post.My 98 Z3 passenger side window was leaking.I tried silicone spray,It still leaked.Then the drivers side started leaking.I was about to spend over $140 on front seals when I discovered this thread thru google.I applied permatec flowable silicone windshield & glass sealer.I was careful not to fill the needed down spout hole for draining the grand aquaduct and now no more leaks on either side.So again thank you!!

Last edited by shaitan34; 03-14-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:20 AM

Mein Auto: 97 z3
[QUOTE=FastWoman;2920836]Hi thank goodness for folks like yourself who take the time to share yor problems and fixes,i have just got me first z3 really pleased and then it rained i now have a mobile duck pond,anyway ihave followed your a pillar fix and notice both A pillar trianglar plugs are not glued,can i ask how long are these plugs,can they be pulled out completely to clean and will i be able to get them back in and are they to be glued permantly,could i fill the hole with some sort of silicon ,thank you in advance from all mobile duck pond owners,regard K
Old 07-17-2013, 01:14 PM

Hello ! K,

You've delved into this problem much deeper than I had - so I'm just not sure what to advise you. What I did was treat the rubber all around the windshield with a rubber cleaner and conditioner and when I reattached the roof I always latch the drivers side first and then the passengers side - this seems to work for me. I wouldn't screw around with pulling the "plugs" out - at this stage I'd be tempted to go and pick the brains at a BMW dealer. Sorry I can't help you more.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3 _ 2.2cc_ M Pack
***919;***953; ***922;!
Just pull out the rubber plug -about an inch- clean it and apply some silicone glue around it. Push it back in and let it dry. I hope this will solve the problem.
Instead of silicone glue you could also apply some thick coat of pure Vaseline. Vaseline might repair (thicken) the rubber plugs, which will obviously not allow water to leak into the car.
Good Luck!
H.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: 97 Z3 2.8
Z3

I did the same thing using "Goop" which is readily available at auto parts stores. It instantly stopped the leaking.

BK85
Old 07-23-2013, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto: 97 z3
Smile z3 mobile duck pond

Thank you guys for your replys,thats the A pillers done,the third brake light done,door membraines done As the carprts are also wet up behind the seats does Anybody know what can done in the rear deck area ,what should i look out for,thanks
Old 07-25-2013, 06:29 AM

This thread is the best. I have been trying to solve this problem for 2 years. I used Gorilla glue and sealed the A-Pillar. Now I no longer have water coming inside the cabin. Thank you again.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:42 PM

Great old thread, and this solved the leak that my Z3 hard top had developed.
Not nice opening the door and sitting in a puddle on leather seats !

I actually took out the triangular plug at the top of the A pillar
(see attached photo for how HUGE it is, and note the groove)

I found the rubber tubing was full of water
- I could press on the inside of the door jam and see it spout out of the hole left by the plug at the top.

I cleared the tube by feeding some speedo wire down the tube,
and then tested to see water exiting around the sill area.

Finished up by putting the triangular plug back, with a spot of silicon on the top outer edge.

Had very heavy downpours since but my Z3 has remained drip free !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z3 A pillar plug.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	420490  
Old 02-03-2014, 04:58 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
I think your post with the photo of the plug finally explains how the drainage conduit in the a-pillar rubber seal works with the rubber plug. And how the plug should only get sealant around its top edge to avoid getting sealant in the plug's groove.