Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0si
2006 3.0 si Oil Check Indicator

When I push the dash button to check the oil I get 3 segments and then the OK light comes on. I am not sure but I think that prior to this I would get 4 segments and then the OK light. What does it mean when only 3 segments are indicated? Does that mean the oil is low but not enough to add 1 quart? Or am I just imagining that there were 4 segments? The OM does not address this. Thanks in advance for any input.
Ads by Google
Old 07-16-2013, 06:16 AM
Drivin' the dream

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X5 & 2007 Z4 si
It means you are a quarter quart down from full. It is ok.

2007 3.0si w/Sport Pkg, Navi, Leather, Strut brace, garage door opener and delete airbag warnings on sun visors
Old 07-21-2013, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0si
I was on another forum, Duck Hunters talking about the oil used in their trucks, and came across this statement-

I tried using the vehicle manufacturers recommended oil viscosity with a new GMC pickup I bought several years ago and oil consumption began in hot weather especially while towing.
I called Valvoline and got one of their R&D people on the phone, he told me the thin oil was actually vaporizing with the high temperature's and added load and said to go to a thicker grade oil.

The oil level on my 06 3.0si never changed for the first 7500 miles that I owned it. It currently has 40K. I then changed the oil and used Castrol Edge full synthetic 5w-30 as per the strong recommendation of my indy mechanic.

Could vaporization be a possibility? I live where 100+ degrees for a week or two in a row is not uncommon. Our high here this summer was 113.
Is it nuts to even consider a thicker oil for summer driving? Are there some inherent problems with Castrol?

What are your thoughts? As per the original post, why would I lose oil when there are no leaks and no visible smoke when driving?

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4
2006 3.0 si Oil Check Indicator

Castrol has a new full synthetic that's states on the front it's for BMW, Volkswagen and Mercedes... 5-40 and on the back it states it meets LL-01 specs. I found this right after doing an oil change. My oil consumption is about I litre in about 1000-12000 Km's or less. I intend to switch next oil change.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-22-2013, 06:14 AM
Z ENTHUSIAST

Mein Auto: 06 3.0 si Z4R
Three bars means that your level is still OK. I personally do not worry until all bars are gone and then I will add a full quart. Better to be a bit low than to overfill. IMHO.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ZSCCACalifornia/