Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 03-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Air Conditioner dead

2011 Z4 35i ...
Air Conditioner was working fine. I drove for sometime and had to wait for 15mnts to pick up my kid. So I opened the windows and turned off the car. When I restarted, air conditioner didn't start. I checked all the settings. This happened sometime back when I picked up the car from the dealer after service. They said they reset the control unit. Can I do it myself ? Appreciate any help.
2011 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i * Titanium Silver Metallic * Black Kansas Leather * Cold Weather Package * Premium Package * Premium Sound Package * 7-Speed Double Clutch Transmission * Style 293 Wheels * Navigation System * BMW Apps * European Delivery * Performance Center Delivery * Joy Unlimited !
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Retired

Mein Auto: 12 z & 09 Accord Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddapah View Post
2011 Z4 35i ...
Air Conditioner was working fine. I drove for sometime and had to wait for 15mnts to pick up my kid. So I opened the windows and turned off the car. When I restarted, air conditioner didn't start. I checked all the settings. This happened sometime back when I picked up the car from the dealer after service. They said they reset the control unit. Can I do it myself ? Appreciate any help.

is everything working 100% except the 4 big dials in the car that handle heating, blowers and A/c?

RTOM.....

Last edited by Glen E; 03-25-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen E View Post
is everything working 100% except the 4 big dials in the car that handle heating, blowers and A/c?
Yes. Everything is working fine. I even noticed the air conditioner indicator blink when I start the car. Wonder if it is a loose connection somewhere. Would like to know if there is any thing I can check instead of driving to the dealer.
2011 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i * Titanium Silver Metallic * Black Kansas Leather * Cold Weather Package * Premium Package * Premium Sound Package * 7-Speed Double Clutch Transmission * Style 293 Wheels * Navigation System * BMW Apps * European Delivery * Performance Center Delivery * Joy Unlimited !
Old 03-26-2012, 05:28 AM
Retired

It is a software hangup. As a former general manager of a BMW dealership, I can tell you with 90% probability that the car just needs a master reset. We've been doing this since the early 7's....It is simply done by taking the battery cables off the battery and touching the cables together. THIS WILL NOT HURT A THING. It is simply draining all the electricity out of the car like you are pulling the plug out of the wall on your computer. Turn everything off, ignition off and do it. Then wait 10 min and hook the cables back up. It will not spark or exhibit nay problems. You will lose you time and date setting, nothing else. We have been doing it for years this way in service when the diagnostics show no fault found. In fact, most techs have a wire with two alligator clips in their tool box for this task. Sometimes the car just gets confused and this solves it. This came straight from a BMW factory master tech from Germany. It is like a Ctrl-Alt- Del on a PC.

My new Z4 did the exact same thing the 2nd day I had it - no a/c or anything, opened the trunk and did this and it's worked perfectly ever since.

RTOM.....

Last edited by Glen E; 03-26-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
It is a software hangup. As a former general manager of a BMW dealership, I can tell you with 90% probability that the car just needs a master reset. We've been doing this since the early 7's....It is simply done by taking the battery cables off the battery and touching the cables together. THIS WILL NOT HURT A THING. It is simply draining all the electricity out of the car like you are pulling the plug out of the wall on your computer. Turn everything off, ignition off and do it. Then wait 10 min and hook the cables back up. It will not spark or exhibit nay problems. You will lose you time and date setting, nothing else. We have been doing it for years this way in service when the diagnostics show no fault found. In fact, most techs have a wire with two alligator clips in their tool box for this task. Sometimes the car just gets confused and this solves it. This came straight from a BMW factory master tech from Germany. It is like a Ctrl-Alt- Del on a PC.

My new Z4 did the exact same thing the 2nd day I had it - no a/c or anything, opened the trunk and did this and it's worked perfectly ever since.

Strangely it started working again all by itself. I am new to the engine and battery. From the picture can you tell me which wires to unplug to disconnect ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-2.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	318578  
Old 03-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Retired

The cables that hook to battery lugs and power the car...
But if you don't know what this means, I caution you not to do it....

RTOM.....

Last edited by Glen E; 03-26-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: se zee
Quote:
2011 Z4 35i ...
Exactly the same problem I have (had) with mine 2010.
Problem started after the 2 year service. Dealer upgraded the car and I have had all kind of problems after that. Car has been at the shop for more than 3 weeks last 2 months.

Finally they fixed all the problems by changing some major parts and recodec the car. But........

Today, 3 days after getting the car back the A/C fails again!!!!! Never had any issue before the 2 year service...............

cuddapah, have they solved the issue for you?
Old 07-04-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow4 View Post

cuddapah, have they solved the issue for you?
Shadow4 - I am in FL. This was happening very frequently. This may sound very weird. I noticed that iPhone Snap-In adapter is getting very hot and thought it be doing something to the AC. So I replaced it last month. I didn't have any issues with AC after that.

Are you using Snap-In or connected any kind of electronic extras ?
Old 07-10-2012, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: se zee
Quote:
Shadow4 - I am in FL. This was happening very frequently. This may sound very weird. I noticed that iPhone Snap-In adapter is getting very hot and thought it be doing something to the AC. So I replaced it last month. I didn't have any issues with AC after that.

Are you using Snap-In or connected any kind of electronic extras ?
Hi cuddapah, thanks for answering.

Noope, nothing I haven't used before the 2 year service. I don't have a snap-in adapter and only have a USB stick with music there.

I know it is hard to belive but BMW flashed my car with the wrong software at the service.

I noticed this after the AC would not start by getting some funny options on the control display. (for ex. "Spirit of ecstasy" up, down or auto, Rolls Royce stuff)

Hybrid drive... with graphics !! Guess 750 and some 6-series have that........... B&O sound settings..... I have the DSP pro sound system and this made the sound lousy.

Bmw tried to reprogramme the car twice..........with no luck. Then the replaced the CIC and all was fine except the sound. So the replaced the amplifier and that fixed the sound also.

Thought all was ok until the AC failed again.........so now I expect them to replace the whole climate control! Car is useless without at least a functioning ventilation fan in cold rainy Sweden.

Glad to hear your solved the issue, and to tell you, I do not think anything is wierd anymore with all this "digital" stuff they put in the cars nowadays.

Why did I sell my 67 Camaro?
Old 07-23-2012, 04:23 AM

It started again .. AC stopped working twice last week. I didn't have to do anything. Later in the day when I started the car it started working. Funny thing I noticed this time is, even when the engine is not turned on, I can still open and close the side view mirrors. But when the AC is not going to work, the side view mirrors won't open/close until I start the car.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:01 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Quote:
It started again .. AC stopped working twice last week. I didn't have to do anything. Later in the day when I started the car it started working. Funny thing I noticed this time is, even when the engine is not turned on, I can still open and close the side view mirrors. But when the AC is not going to work, the side view mirrors won't open/close until I start the car.
This has nearly always been a power problem, especially as you say the side mirrors do not work......this fault is a process of elimination , next time you have it go round the switches and see what works and what doesn't , build a picture because there is guaranteed to be a common denominator. Sadly we don't have wiring diagrams for this model on line, the E89 is the new generation were BMW have put everything online, so it seems no more discs, a real pain now.
If you know anything about wiring diagrams you could look up the E85 model, actually wiring diagrams on some features don't change that much so you may get an indication..... hope this helps???

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 08-11-2012, 07:49 PM

It started again .. I drove for 5hrs ... stopped the car for 3hrs and later when I started the car, AC is dead .. side mirrors are working fine .. the AC indicator blinks once when I start the car .. thatz it .. later after a 15mnt stop, when I started the car, the AC started working again
Old 07-07-2013, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 730I
Quote:
Thank you very much for the reset advice!! it worked for me with a problem that the a/c blower was not reaching the full speed even after replacing the final stage electric resistor....
Old 07-15-2013, 07:49 PM

It happened again .... more here ...
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865250
Old 07-20-2013, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 z4 3.0
Air Conditioner dead

Mine did the same thing yesterday... 102 outside but only drove it for about 30 minutes... Turned it off and then back on and nada... Drove straight to dealer who of course could not look at it then since it was friday at 4:30....

After i got back home and let it sit for 30 it worked again! Now i am freaked! Just drove it off the lot on wed. It has never done this before (i was the original lease owner).

I am going to take it back in to see if anything shows up on the diagnostics but am assured that now its working they prob will not be able to replicate!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-22-2013, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 z4 3.0
Air Conditioner dead

I was doing some research on the issue incl reading various other posts and was curious if there is any "appropriate way" to shut on and off the car? I read the manual and it discusses 1push to turn on electronics and another (w brake engaged) to start engine. i would assume to turn off is same process.

The reason i ask is because when the ac went out the other day i had done it differently than i normally do....

I had put in park (brake off) then 1 push and heard weird noise but thought nothing of it until i tried to start it again a few minutes later and the ac dash strip was out.....

I normally do not engage the electronics seperately... 1 long push w brake engaged to start and go and same to turn it off. Probably overthinking this but "bugs in the system" bother me and i want a fix. kansas weather is too extreme to go wo ac or heat most times except on the infrquent top down cruise days.

One post suggested a "t fix" which got me to thinking about correct on/off process??

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-02-2013, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
The "T Fix" is the "Tranquility Fix."

Quote:
'Tranquility Fix'
Ok, guys, I may have stumbled upon a possible solution. You know how presumably everyone starts the car by pressing the brake, and then pressing the start/stop button? I've been doing it the other way around, i.e. holding the start/stop button and pressing the brake to start the car. So far, no more HVAC prbs (knock on wood). Pls note that if you do it the 'normal' way and the HVAC malfunctions, you can't try to restart it using my way afterwards as the HVAC needs time to recover (as per usual whenever it malfunctions).

I'll leave it up to you guys to field-test this to see if my solution actually does work. Just call it the 'Tranquility Fix' if this does work.
The A/C panel issue happened to my wife twice on her 2011 sDrive 35is. She changed to start the car this way and has not had the issue since. It appears to change the way the computer "boots up" and it doesn't have an issue when it boots the A/C module.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Z4 35is
This issue cropped up the second day I owned the car. I remember reading these posts and referred back to them.

I've used the "T Fix" and not had a single issue since.