Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z3 2.5 liter
Slight (unusual) brake noise

I just recently noticed a slight brake noise...kind of a grunt or slight grind...late in braking. It is a low noise combined with a slight crunch felt in the pedal, and it occurs just before the vehicle comes to a complete stop.

My pads are new all around. Could this be an issue of water or air in the brake lines? Any info would be appreciated.

As always, thanks. -Scotty
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2014, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 Roadster
I recently bought a used 1999 Z3 that was well cared for by the previous one owner.
It has 48k easy miles and is in pristine condition.
But it came with this same annoying feature, a grinding brake noise just before dead stop.
It came from the right front wheel.
Fortunately, after much flailing, I found a simple fix.
After a round of swapping parts, which gets expensive in a hurry, I fixed the problem with my Dremel Tool.
I ground a 45 degree bevel all the way around the brake pad friction material. (Not the metal back plate).
I removed only about 1/16 inch of material.
Viola!! The annoying noise was gone!
Try it and good luck...
BillHopwood