Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 06-30-2013, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535xi, 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Are you sure you can't get the passive M Sport suspension on 528i M Sports (2013 MY's)? That would be odd and unfortunate.

I think the passive suspension is the best and definitely sportiest of the bunch, even against the Active suspension with DHP and all those things. However like said above, it's like taking the previous suspension, lowering it, replacing some existing parts with more sport oriented ones, etc. It's still a comfortable and "luxury car" riding suspension all in all, but I find it to be very dynamic (and it doesn't need technology with marketing terms "dynamic" in their names to feel dynamic, hehe).
M-Sport Line comes with M-Sport Package, but there is no explanation with regards to the suspension in the description. I hope it means passive sport suspension.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maril555 View Post
M-Sport Line comes with M-Sport Package, but there is no explanation with regards to the suspension in the description. I hope it means passive sport suspension.
Just to make it clear, 528i M Sport Line comes with M Sport Package, but the option of Dynamic Handling Package is NOT available. It is only available with 535 and 550.
As long as I know, that M Sport Package contains passive Sport suspension, I'm fine with it.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:24 AM

Another question- all models come standard with Driving Dynamics Control with ECO PRO- I understand, it changes suspension and steering settings b/w Normal, Comfort and Sport modes.
It does that whether DHS is equipped, or not?
Also, what seats come with M Sport Package in 528? And how multi contour seats are different?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maril555 View Post
Another question- all models come standard with Driving Dynamics Control with ECO PRO- I understand, it changes suspension and steering settings b/w Normal, Comfort and Sport modes.
It does that whether DHS is equipped, or not?
Also, what seats come with M Sport Package in 528? And how multi contour seats are different?
Driving dynamics can only adjust an active suspension, not a passive one.
Standard comfort seats come with the 528. Multi Contour seats have more adjustments and have adjustable thigh support extension. The downloadable brochure gives good info on the seats.
Coded myself: Turn off power when opening door, ASS off by default, Enable turn signals in HUD, DVD in Motion, Transfer telephone ringtone to car, Enable tire pressure and temperature display in iDrive. Disable iDrive legal disclaimer, Disable Rear/Side camera disclaimers.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 07-01-2013, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
To be specific, on the 5-series sedan non-528 models, the ZDH package must be included in order for that control button to change the suspension in addition to steering and tranny. Just adding the dynamic suspension aka Dynamic Damper Control alone is not available according to the guide. Your CA *may* be able to... YMMV
Old 07-05-2013, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicendeavor View Post
The 535d (aka 530d) is $1500 more than the 535i and the diesel will have slightly higher maintenance costs, all which should be offset by the increased mpg over a few years time.
Why do you think diesel would have higher maintenance costs?
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Continental RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrathon View Post
Hmmm ... am I the only one reading this thread interested in the 535d (530d for the rest of the world)? That engine is the event of the year for me.
I'm interested as well. very excited about this car and engine. However, my dealer says that as of right now, there is no eco credit for the diesel. has anyone else heard this?

Retired: 2011 328 convertible Jet Black
Old 07-07-2013, 06:31 PM
BMW-addicted

Mein Auto: Not worth mentioning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiz610 View Post
I'm interested as well. very excited about this car and engine. However, my dealer says that as of right now, there is no eco credit for the diesel. has anyone else heard this?
Yes, this has been confirmed.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=701715

Last edited by 760Lifan; 07-07-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiz610 View Post
I think your post says it all. There's strong interest in the diesel engine, so BMW doesn't see the need to offer a credit.
Coded myself: Turn off power when opening door, ASS off by default, Enable turn signals in HUD, DVD in Motion, Transfer telephone ringtone to car, Enable tire pressure and temperature display in iDrive. Disable iDrive legal disclaimer, Disable Rear/Side camera disclaimers.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 07-12-2013, 02:51 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
A basic No-Line LCI 535i beats out the brand-newly motor'd E400 with Sports (or Avantgarde) package which is gonna come to the U.S in 2015 apparently as a replacement to the E550, so it's especially impressive for the 535i which is will likely be a cheaper car. It's especially impressive that the N55 pretty much puts up neck and neck numbers with the brand new TT V6 from M-B which again is *supposedly* going to replace the E550's V8TT.

Apparently they say the 5er: Has better interior quality (duh), better gearbox (duh). equally comfortable with better and sportier driving dynamics, has better seats (duh), has better steering feel (duh), and better handling (duh). Apparently the E gets better fuel economy though. Again, very impressive for a 535i which is supposed to compete with an E350 (and of course excels past it enough to where even an E400 won't compensate for the W212's inherent shortcomings to the F10).

Of course, this isn't an M Sport F10 so I'd expect the results of that to further weigh in the 5ers favor. Also of course, they have strong enough eyes to notice the 5ers design superiority over what is the (IMO) hapazard mess of a joke that is the E Class facelift "mashup" design.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:18 AM

Mein Auto:
I know this sounds like sacrilege to the M Sport aficionados but I must ask whether it's possible to attain chrome/aluminium door trim with the M Sport package instead of Shadow Line. You see, I'm saving up for a 550i in either Black Sapphire or Azurite Black. I prefer the contrast of chrome/aluminium against dark paints because it highlights the Hoffmeister kink and adds to the aesthetic beauty of the car. Shadowline black window trim on black paint is too undifferentiated and dull in my opinion. Of course this is highly subjective. Yet I take issue with being railroaded into Shadowline without the choice of the chrome/aluminium. Is the M Sport + chrome door trim possible?
Old 07-20-2013, 05:56 AM
Dark Knight

Not sure if it is in the States, but I know that in Europe and Asia (based on members who have posted) you can get it like that. You have to opt for an "Individual" Package I believe.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto:
The following is the combination I'm looking for:

How come the French get it so easy? I have not seen a single M Sport 5 series sedan with chrome door trim in the USA.
BMW have bonded Shadowline to M Sport for the USA market. If anyone has a workable idea how I can circumvent this problem I would appreciate it. Call me awkward but I get a thrill out of the combination of M Sport, Dark Graphite Metallic paint and chrome door trim.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve J View Post
The following is the combination I'm looking for:

How come the French get it so easy? I have not seen a single M Sport 5 series sedan with chrome door trim in the USA.
BMW have bonded Shadowline to M Sport for the USA market. If anyone has a workable idea how I can circumvent this problem I would appreciate it. Call me awkward but I get a thrill out of the combination of M Sport, Dark Graphite Metallic paint and chrome door trim.
You'll need to work with your Dealer to see if they can do a special order. You can get satin aluminum with the Individual Composition package, but that package cannot be ordered on an MSport. Worst case, you could order the chrome trim separately from the parts department or online from a store like getbmwparts.com and have the Dealer or a reputable body shop replace the black trim with the chrome.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 07-21-2013, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto:
Well I'm going to make a complaint to BMW. It is unfair that the French get more choice when the USA is a bigger market. BMW should be more flexible on its Shadowline as it's not to everyone's taste. A choice of chrome or Shadowline door trim is the way to go. If BMW considers that I will be spending over $70000 for a 550i xDrive M Sport, that's the least they can do.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:50 AM

Mein Auto:
I wonder whether M Sport Suspension has been discontinued in the 2014 MY. There is no mention of it in the M Sport Package (ZMM).
Old 07-22-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve J View Post
I wonder whether M Sport Suspension has been discontinued in the 2014 MY. There is no mention of it in the M Sport Package (ZMM).
That is an open question. The German site lists the MSport suspension, and the DHP package in US pricing guide indicates that ordering DHP deletes the 704 MSport suspension.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 07-22-2013, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto:
Whoever compiled this list has omitted the M Suspension and its code. I didn't even know its code until you posted it. There is something seriously wrong here. The publisher does not feel it's important to include M Suspension in the features. Therefore I'm assuming it isn't in the 2014 MY..
I noticed that Carbon Black Metallic is only qualified with ZMM. Is it very different to Black Sapphire? From internet photos it seems to have blue in its DNA but that may be down to camera quality. I've never seen Carbon Black in vivo.
I must say that all this secrecy over the M Suspension in the USA market means BMW can quietly exclude the feature. A premium company like BMW should be able to write unambiguous price listings.
PS: I take it that ZMM and ZMP are synonymous (In the Ordering Guide it states that 704 is deleted when the Dynamic Handling Package is ordered in conjunction with ZMP; however, ZMP is not used to describe the M Sport package; ZMM is used. Therefore the statement may not apply to ZMM).
Old 07-22-2013, 11:04 AM

The sport suspension wasn't mentioned in the 2013 pricing guide either.
ZMP was the 2013 MSport package ZMM is 2014 MSport line.
Carbon Black was inspired by the old carbon paper. It's black in low light and takes on a black/blue hue in lighter conditions.
20/80 Highway/City

Last edited by Sonicendeavor; 07-22-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto:
Thanks again Sonic for your encyclopaedic knowledge. Looks like I've got alot of research to do. I infer that ZMP and ZMM are the same. They just changed the wording. A puzzling question still glitters: why do BMW list the M Suspension in the German site but don't bother in the USA? Americans are intelligent: they reached the moon before anyone else! BMW should clarify.........or is the game to keep it quiet so that punters will opt for the Dynamic Handling Package (ZDH) thereby fattening the coffers of BMW! So many are happy with the M Suspension introduced in 2013 that it may well have made ZDH redundant.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Dark Knight

It's unfortunate but via BMW marketing sent to a contributer here themselves, they don't even like to acknowledge the M Sport suspension like they do in Europe. They silently gave the F10 an actual "M" suspension and refuse to market it in the U.S, as they still tell you "the only Sports option is the DHP" which on enthusiast sites you will find the truth on i.e that is not the case at all. Sad to see them practically keep their ear so out of the loop that they will take the chance of sabotaging the F10's driving dynamics impressions as so many have been *un*impressed with the Active suspension since 2011.... and all of a sudden in 2013 you hear/see all these drivers who had older models even, claiming "BMW finally made the F10 feel like a 'real BMW'", yet BMW still doesn't run with the fact that the magazine test wins, raving reviews are all still right in front of their face again, they just need to tell people which package you need to get it.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto:
Well on further meditation I think my suspicions are correct. When one factors in that BMWs are more expensive in Europe and the Europeans are more stingy (therefore less likely to spend the extra cash on ZDP), BMW is attempting to improve the driving dynamics by introducing M Sport suspension in 2013. The US dollar is the reserve currency. The US have the cheapest new BMWs so the strategy is to sqeeze every cent out. Therefore they keep quiet about M suspension, and pray that the unknowledgable buy the inferior performing Dynamic Handling Package. Insodoing the customer has now spent more than was needed. If my memory serves me well the E39 had superb handling but did not use ZDH.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Let's drive!

Mein Auto: '14 LCI 550i xDrive Msprt
Official Pricing and Ordering Guide for 5 Series (F10) Model Year 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
mocha sounds great! Can't wait to see this car.
Ok - I completely agree! MOCHA!

But, what trim? With the M Sport package, I think you can only get anthracite or aluminum hexagon! I would really prefer dark wood (I think!).

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-24-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjacobs1000 View Post
Ok - I completely agree! MOCHA!

But, what trim? With the M Sport package, I think you can only get anthracite or aluminum hexagon! I would really prefer dark wood (I think!).

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
You can get dark wood (4BN) with the MSport package. Dark wood is very dark. You might want to consider anthracite with mocha. If you look at the LCI photos I believe there's a pic of mocha with Anthracite.
Here it is:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=48
20/80 Highway/City

Last edited by Sonicendeavor; 07-24-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i - Alpine White
Does anyone know how the factory is handling new orders? Are they busy? More orders than expected? Reason why I ask is that I have my Production number # that was submitted back on 7/11 and it's showing the status "We are currently processing your order and will inform you once your BMW enters production."

From what I have read the build process is pretty quick but how long does it typically take for them to start building??

Thanks.