Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
400 miles / Drivetrain Malfunction :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlink View Post
Vanos valves and bolts!!!! One of my co-workers had the exact same thing happen to him with his car (328 x-drive sport line)!

Hope this doesn't turn into a very common problem like the HPFP that plagued the early 335s.
It's looking like it is, seems most issues is with vanos system.

On a side note, hearing a different sound when putting in park and shutting car off. Sounds like metal clanking. Never noticed that before?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-02-2013, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
I had same error message on my 170 miles new 328i, and got Vanos Intake replaced.
So sad!!!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 320i w/Sport & Light Pkgs
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAM328 View Post
I had same error message on my 170 miles new 328i, and got Vanos Intake replaced.
So sad!!!
Hopefully this has been corrected on new production models. If not good info if this happens to any of us.

Black on Black 2013 320i Sedan
+ Sport Pkg (M sport suspension, M steering wheel, 18" Light Alloy Wheel V-spoke, Sport seats, Power-adjustable side bolsters, Increased top-speed & Anthracite headliner)
+ Lighting Pkg (Xenon Adaptive Headlights, dynamic auto-leveling, LED Corona surrounds)
+ 2 Way Power Moonroof
Old 07-23-2013, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: Nothing now
Thought I should chime in since I'm dealing with the same "Drivetrain Malfunction" error on my 11-day old 328xi after putting 700 miles on it (I went on a road trip this weekend). The error came up when I put the car into reverse to parallel park. Car went into reduced power mode. Turned it off, waited a while, turned it on but still had the error.

I was able to drive it to the Service Center yesterday. Their initial diagnosis was that it was a cylinder misfire. Now they're telling me that the Vanos Solenoid has to be replaced, and that there's one more test that they have to do tomorrow when the car is cold to see if anything else needs to be done.

It goes without saying that I'm a little upset that this is happening on my first BMW.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Melbourne Red
my F30 had defective injectors that threw a check-engine-light right around 700 miles... it was still driveable but not very smooth...

took 3 trips to the dealer to finally get it fixed.... yes it was all for free but the time and frustration was enough to make this my first and last bimmer...
Old 07-23-2013, 03:20 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ningster View Post
my F30 had defective injectors that threw a check-engine-light right around 700 miles... it was still driveable but not very smooth...

took 3 trips to the dealer to finally get it fixed.... yes it was all for free but the time and frustration was enough to make this my first and last bimmer...
Friend of mine who is a master BMW tech told me he recently had to replace two engines on a couple of newer 7-series. Turned out there was a problem with a couple of fuel injectors that ended up flooding the chamber and the result was a blown engine upon starting the car. Cost of a new engine replacement was over $23,000!!!!
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Old 07-30-2013, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: Nothing now
Angry

Here's an interesting update. I just heard from my Service Advisor that the parts within the Vanos unit that need to be replace in order to resolve my "Drivetrain Malfunction" error are still on back-order and it's estimated that they won't arrive from Germany until August 15th-17th.

That means I had my new BMW for 10 days, received the error, and now my car will be in the shop for 27 or so days. Is this a joke?! I'm BEYOND UPSET.

Any advice before I blow a gasket (no pun intended)?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:16 AM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepimentel View Post
Here's an interesting update. I just heard from my Service Advisor that the parts within the Vanos unit that need to be replace in order to resolve my "Drivetrain Malfunction" error are still on back-order and it's estimated that they won't arrive from Germany until August 15th-17th.

That means I had my new BMW for 10 days, received the error, and now my car will be in the shop for 27 or so days. Is this a joke?! I'm BEYOND UPSET.

Simple, ask for compensation. If you are leasing, try and get a few months paid for. If you are buying and financing through BMW, try and get a credit to your loan, if you own it or have financing from another source, ask generally for compensation either monetary or in goodies.
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)
Old 07-30-2013, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 328i XDrive
400 miles/Drivetrain Malfunction

I had the same issue with 900 miles on my odometer and 3 weeks of ownership. Dealer had my car for one week to replace the Vanos and bolts. My car has been flawless since, and now I have 5300 miles on the odometer. I was frustrated too, but it all worked out.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328xi
I had the same issue, driving to Canada at 3500 miles. Car went into limp mode. i arrived safely. Then started the car the following morning and everything was fine. 3500 miles later, everything is still fine.

I should mention that i was racing a POS Hyundai when it happened on the QEW. was doing around 85-90mph.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:16 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
Friend of mine who is a master BMW tech told me he recently had to replace two engines on a couple of newer 7-series. Turned out there was a problem with a couple of fuel injectors that ended up flooding the chamber and the result was a blown engine upon starting the car. Cost of a new engine replacement was over $23,000!!!!
Yes, why I opt to lease and return . . .
Old 07-31-2013, 04:17 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:

three more days and you can lemon the car.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 325ci
I actually had the drivetrain malfunction and auto start stop failure come up with 32 miles on my car. Happened on the dealer lot when I took delivery. Turned out my issue was the electric motor, I have the AH3, part was backordered and took three weeks to get it from Germany.
They didn't have any other cars close to it on the lot or I would have taken delivery of something else.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
three more days and you can lemon the car.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 12-16-2013, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 3 series soon
Quote:
Thought I should chime in since I'm dealing with the same "Drivetrain Malfunction" error on my 11-day old 328xi after putting 700 miles on it (I went on a road trip this weekend). The error came up when I put the car into reverse to parallel park. Car went into reduced power mode. Turned it off, waited a while, turned it on but still had the error.

I was able to drive it to the Service Center yesterday. Their initial diagnosis was that it was a cylinder misfire. Now they're telling me that the Vanos Solenoid has to be replaced, and that there's one more test that they have to do tomorrow when the car is cold to see if anything else needs to be done.

It goes without saying that I'm a little upset that this is happening on my first BMW.
I had a problem initially diagnosed as two fuel injectors failing. They were replaced. Had the car back one day and problem returned--even more severe. In the shop now and the "new" diagnosis" is a fuel pump failure.