Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:14 AM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
You are wrong.

In Europe you can have all the options on a 320d. Just because BMW USA restricts options in the US does not justify them calling a 320d a 328d.

The number after the 3 indicates performance historically, not options.
I wonder if out of America, there is a 320d with an urea system, like the 328d. This looks to me as the most significant difference. And some 335d owners have a lot of problems with it.

Last edited by Saintor; 07-17-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: Nothing
You hear seemingly everyone complain on the forums that the US doesn't get the diesels, yada yada yada and they bring one and nobody buys it. Not really surprised actually.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Re: Why no one talk about 328d?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfestool View Post
You hear seemingly everyone complain on the forums that the US doesn't get the diesels, yada yada yada and they bring one and nobody buys it. Not really surprised actually.
No MT - no talk, no interest, no sale.

Full of it? Talk to VW salesman who is getting my signature on Sat - unless they screw something up royally with/during car delivery. Golf TDI. MT.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 07-17-2013, 09:41 AM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
I wonder if out of America, there is a 320d with an urea system, like the 328d. This looks to me as the most significant difference. And some 335d owners have a lot of problems with it.
It is available in Europe with the BluePerformance option (urea system).

Not sure if I'd consider the experiences of 2009-present BMW d's as having "a lot of problems" with the system.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:44 AM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
What do you mean? there aren't any 328d's or 535d's on the lot yet to drive/buy. After they have been available for test drives then you can make a judgement on whether they are wanted or not.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:50 AM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post

Full of it? Talk to VW salesman who is getting my signature on Sat - unless they screw something up royally with/during car delivery. Golf TDI. MT.

I really hope VW straightens out the failing HPFP for the new tdi's.
I'm also curious to see if BMW is spec'ing anything special for the Bosch CP4.1 HPFP used with the 328d. This same Bosch pump has been failing in some VW tdi's.

The Golf and Jetta tdi have used the higher output HPFP with piezo injectors adn there's an on-going investigation. The Passat uses the same HPFP set to lower output and solenoid injectors. It is my understanding that the 320d/328d uses a system similar to the Passat.

Another possiblity is since BMW spec'd special coatings on the internals of the pumps used in the N American 335d/x5d to deal with the fuel over here they will take the same precaution on the 328d.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:24 PM
diesel evangelist

3 series diesel EPA numbers just came out yesterday:

2014 BMW 328d:
37 Combined
32 City
45 Highway

2014 BMW 328d xDrive & 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sports Wagon
35 Combined
31 City
43 Highway

Better than any of the VW tdi
Old 07-20-2013, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
Yes, not surprising at all, considering the typical BMW clientele in the US. For most people, the added expense of the diesel isn't justifiable economically.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:16 PM
BMW aficionado

Mein Auto: 535i
Why no one talk about 328d?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post

2014 BMW 328d:
37 Combined
32 City
45 Highway

35 Combined
31 City
43 Highway

They are fantastic numbers!

Old 07-21-2013, 07:32 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35

Quote:

2014 BMW 328d:
37 Combined
32 City
45 Highway

35 Combined
31 City
43 Highway

If it actually gets 45 hwy then great. My.former 335d got nowhere near its advertised fuel economy numbers.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
If it actually gets 45 hwy then great. My.former 335d got nowhere near its advertised fuel economy numbers.

It probably will. The ZF 8AT is fantastic for highway cruising. Seems like all 328i/335i owners can hit the EPA highway numbers, as long as you're keeping it under 75mph.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
Quote:
You are wrong.

If he's wrong, he has company. As in Company. As in BMW AG.
What BMW offers in other markets isn't really relevant, unless you're planning to live there.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
You are wrong.

In Europe you can have all the options on a 320d. Just because BMW USA restricts options in the US does not justify them calling a 320d a 328d.

The number after the 3 indicates performance historically, not options.
Historically it has, but not anymore. This the new BMW, and the old rules don't apply anymore. I don't like the new numbering system either, but that's the way it is.

I think OBS3SSION is right on the money with his analysis.

BTW, here in Delaware, diesel is around $0.25 or so cheaper than Premium....at least right now.

Last edited by fastm3; 07-21-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:05 AM

Mein Auto: '11 golf TDI
Quote:

2014 BMW 328d:
37 Combined
32 City
45 Highway

35 Combined
31 City
43 Highway

I have been waiting to see these. I am considering a d wagon and was hoping to get AWD and better mileage than my golf TDI, which routinely gets 38 city and 42 on hilly vt highway. Looks like the d wagon may do better, mainly because of 8 spd. Finally got some seat time behind a 2014 SW on Friday and really liked it. Dealers first d wagon is just entering production now. If ca is smart, he will have optioned as I told him I wanted, that will be hard to refuse.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:

Better MILEAGE than TDI. Sure. Still no MT, therefore, meaningless to me

By the way, they DID succeed to eff up something, so now I will be getting one (Golf TDI MT) from the port of entry, not the previously agreed one. Don't have ETA yet.

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 07-22-2013, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 328Xdrive-Budget Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
In my 335d I got the advertised highway numbers but not the city numbers...it was probably too much of a temptation to jump on it.
I have a 328d on the boat and should have it in three or four weeks and will be happy to share honest experience I have with the car.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:25 PM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticman View Post
I have a 328d on the boat and should have it in three or four weeks and will be happy to share honest experience I have with the car.
Looking forward to a first hand review
Old 07-23-2013, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: Volvo XC90 & BMW R1200R
Quote:

I wouldn't buy that TDI engine. Look at VWVortex forum and count the people who have had issues with the diesel fuel pump imploding on its self and costing thousands of dollars for repairs which VW won't acknowledge is an issue. My motorcycle riding buddy has a TDI Sport Wagen which at 32K miles had the fuel pump issue occur. Due to his flawless maintenence at his local VW dealer VW agreed to cover the labour for the fix and 50% of parts. The total repair cost was almost $4K. He is going to sell it before this occurs again.

Run Forest....Run!
Old 07-23-2013, 07:06 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuger99 View Post
I wouldn't buy that TDI engine. Look at VWVortex forum and count the people who have had issues with the diesel fuel pump imploding on its self and costing thousands of dollars for repairs which VW won't acknowledge is an issue. My motorcycle riding buddy has a TDI Sport Wagen which at 32K miles had the fuel pump issue occur. Due to his flawless maintenence at his local VW dealer VW agreed to cover the labour for the fix and 50% of parts. The total repair cost was almost $4K. He is going to sell it before this occurs again.

Run Forest....Run!
VAG policy of screwing its customers with warranty issues is why I refuse to buy another VAG product.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:36 AM
diesel evangelist

Quote:

Run Forest....Run!
According to most posters on tdiclub.com, VW has been covering almost all fuel system repairs (even out of warranty). But they won't put it in writing, and no one knows when they'll yank the policy of 'goodwill' repairs and leave the customer hangin'.

As I posted earlier- BMW is using the same Bosch HPFP for the 328d that VW is using on their 2L tdi engines. The only difference I am aware of is that the 328d (assuming it is identical to the 320d) will use the lower pressure pump and solenoid injectors that are used on the Passat tdi. The Jetta, New Beetle & Golf tdi all use the higher pressure HPFP and piezo injectors. I'm not aware of any Passat tdi HPFPs grenading, so BMW might be in the clear.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: Everything
320d uses 2000 bar injection. See http://www.thesmokingtire.com/2012/u...y-mpg-numbers/ suggesting the Passat also suffers from the problem?

Summary:
The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) and Volkswagen (VW) have received a total of 160 complaints and field reports alleging incidents of engine stall and/or loss of power that appear to be related to high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) failures in certain model year (MY) 2009 through 2010 Volkswagen Jetta and MY 2010 Volkswagen Golf and Audi A3 vehicles equipped with TDI clean diesel engines. Approximately half of the reports indicate that the failure resulted in an engine stall incident, with many of these alleging stall incidents at highway speeds in traffic with no restart. There has been one minor crash alleged to have resulted from HPFP failure in the subject vehicles. In response to ODI's information request for PE10-034, VW indicated that it had "found no defect related to motor vehicle safety with relation to the TDI Clean Diesel fuel system at issue in this investigation" and attributed problems with HPFP failure to operation with gasoline contaminated diesel fuel. Volkswagen stated that "even a small amount of gasoline in the diesel fuel may disrupt the necessary lubrication required and may cause the HPFP to fail." In response to concerns that fuel contamination was the major cause of HPFP and related fuel system failures, VW issued a Technical Service Bulletin in May 2010 (VW TB V011011 2023624 and Audi TB A011008 2023360-1), with instructions to inspect the diesel fuel for vehicles requiring fuel system service that have symptoms associated with HPFP failure. The bulletin states that "fuel system damage incurred by use of fuel not complying to ASTM-D-975 Grade 2 S15 (B5 or less biodiesel content) standards will not be covered under warranty." Volkswagen also provided information about 121 mis-fueling incidents reportedly acknowledged by consumers or dealers and test results for about 50 diesel fuel samples taken from complaint vehicles in late-August through early-October 2010. The mis-fueling incidents include about 20 reports involving incorrect fueling by dealer sales or service personnel and generally report symptoms such as rough running, stalling and/or no start within a few miles of refueling the vehicle with gasoline. Volkswagen indicated that the testing of fuel samples from complaint vehicles found that nearly 90 percent contained high amounts of gasoline. Volkswagen implemented design changes for the HPFP in May 2008, September 2009 and November 2010 to improve the robustness of the pump when used with poor quality fuel. ODI analysis of HPFP failures identified from all sources shows failure rates of 0.53% for MY 2009 vehicles and 0.11% for MY 2010 vehicles. This investigation has been upgraded to an Engineering Analysis to continue to investigate the issues with mis-fueling and HPFP design identified during the Preliminary Evaluation.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:10 PM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmie_ View Post
320d uses 2000 bar injection. ....
Are you sure? This is what is shown on the 320d spec sheet from the BMW site back in Jan & Feb. I can't find anything more recent there:
BMW TwinPower Turbo technology with variable-geometry turbocharger,
Common Rail direct injection with solenoid valve injectors
(max. injection pressure: 1800 bar)

If you have something more recent that indicates the higher pressure, please share a link. Thanks.

Last edited by d geek; 07-23-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:07 PM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmie_ View Post
... See http://www.thesmokingtire.com/2012/u...y-mpg-numbers/ suggesting the Passat also suffers from the problem?....
The writer of thesmokingtire blog is citing the tdiclub.com. I can't think of one Passat HPFP failure discussed there that wasn't attributable to a misfueling incident. He's wrong about the Passat being as failure prone as the other tdi.

You had me worried there with the claim of the 2000 bar HPFP being used on the 328d. I thought you might be an insider with new info. Now I'm pretty sure your sources are not accurate- that's a relief!
Old 07-25-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Run Forest....Run!
Thanks for heads up, but I bought the car in picture without even knowing it will be N55 - I thought it will be same engine as all other 335i with huge problem with fuel pumps. People on Internet boards are 2% of customers. 2% of those 2% have a huge problem. Good enough odds when alternative is automatic transmission. At least for me.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
Quote:
Thanks for heads up, but I bought the car in picture without even knowing it will be N55 - I thought it will be same engine as all other 335i with huge problem with fuel pumps. People on Internet boards are 2% of customers. 2% of those 2% have a huge problem. Good enough odds when alternative is automatic transmission. At least for me.
You way way WAYYY underestimate the volume of fuel pump issues on the n54 in 2007-2010. I think 2010-2011 was when replacements actually started working consistently and reliably.

And I own a '08 n54 on it's 4th fuel pump.

If you've got $5k you can torch and go on smiling, then it's totally fine to have that attitude with a long-term car. I've got a ~$3-4k torch account for my m5, so I can understand that

Thatbeing said, you shouldn't dismiss it as simply an internet phenomenom.