Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 1988 BMW 325is
Engine roar diagnostics

Hi folks!

I am new to the BMW world and am not disappointed in the least. I have recently acquired a 1988 BMW 325is (e30), and she's a beauty.

However, I have recently started to hear a loud engine roar that grows louder with acceleration. I have noticed a significant decrease in MPGs since the start of the noise. The kicker is that when I was driving on the highway about an hour in, the noise stopped and the mpg gage showed a 3-4 mpg increase. Shortly after the noise stopped, it resumed once more with the same reduction in mpg. I haven't noticed any reduction in power, though I have yet to push her hard in order to tell. The engine roar is smooth and not high pitched. Sounds as if it is coming from under the hood.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 07-17-2013, 06:58 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
oh no youve awaken gretchen!

vids would help the best
Old 07-17-2013, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the response Downhiller! I don't know who Gretchen is? Do I google it? Have any links to videos?
Old 07-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Bavarian Autosport

Mein Auto: 1989 325is
Tough to really say what it is without seeing/hearing it in person but have you checked the intake boot from the throttle body to the air flow meter for cracks? It's a common failure part and could potentially "open up" under load with the engine physically moving on it's mounts and seal up somewhat at rest. And intake noise is often described as a roar. How's the car idle? If you do find the boot is cracked we typically keep them in stock but there are a few different ones used for your year. You should know the production date of the car (look in drivers door jamb) and of course what transmission it has to get the right one.

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter
Old 07-18-2013, 01:15 PM

Ken, the boot is not cracked. It is still in great shape surprisingly enough. The idle is also solid - no fluctuations in the rpms or sputtering. My older brother looked at it said that he thinks the fan clutch is sticking, although I have not had any problems with the car over heating. Have you ever heard of problems associated with the clutch fan other than over heating? Thanks!

Last edited by mississippster; 07-18-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Bavarian Autosport

Mein Auto: 1989 325is
If the fan clutch is engaged all the time it would make a bit of a roaring/whoosh noise too. And it would make the car run cooler, not hotter. But a fan clutch that doesn't disengage can sometimes cause the plastic fan to explode which isn't pretty. The fan clutch should lock up and draw air through the radiator when the car is hot, but once the temperature comes down they freewheel to take the load off the engine. So decreased gas mileage and a lot of noise underhood could be a locked fan clutch. We stock Behr fan clutches for $59.95 and Sachs for $64.95. Both are excellent. I recently put a Behr in my 89 to replace the original. They do require a special 32mm thin wrench to install and maybe a pulley holder. It's reverse threaded too. We sell the wrench for $18.95 and the pulley holder for $21.95.

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter
Old 07-18-2013, 09:23 PM
livin large

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippster View Post
Thanks for the response Downhiller! I don't know who Gretchen is? Do I google it? Have any links to videos?
gretchen is just an evil german lady you dont piss off. i forgot the movie i saw her in.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:02 AM
Nick's Toys

Mein Auto: 323i E30 2-door
Red face

I saw another movie with Gretchen called
Quote:
3 Schwedinnen in Oberbeyern
Old 07-22-2013, 07:05 AM

Though I am appreciative of the film suggestions, I'm not quite sure if that is going to solve my engine problem, haha!
Old 07-23-2013, 07:11 PM
livin large

were tryin to. but we havnt gotten a vid yet