Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillmaster View Post
Fail: sounds like marketing to me. Why 7 years?! the fact is there is no reason for it. If they wanted to, then they could decide not to change it...just as they decided to change it. Its a free world, anything is possible. Let's think outside of the box guys...
That's right. Let's all be conspiracy theorists! BMW should give out a new version of every car every year! There is no reason that they should let any car pass 1 year. Look at what Apple is doing with the iPad!

[/Sarcasm]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Steve thanks again just saw it go into my account! But why didn't you tell me about the x3m's being sold in our area

Old 07-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Porsche and BMW guru

Mein Auto: AH 3 & Countryman
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Steve thanks again just saw it go into my account! But why didn't you tell me about the x3m's being sold in our area

Awesome!

Also, beware people randomly badging their cars as Ms...
Old 07-23-2013, 04:42 PM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/335
DC area M3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven@BMWRockville.com View Post
Awesome!

Also, beware people randomly badging their cars as Ms...
LOL.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Porsche and BMW guru

DC area M3s

I wish I could find it but my favorite pic was of a minivan that someone put kidney grills and a roundel on...

Old 07-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
As sad as this is, soon we'll see a lot more M badges on non-M cars (all the M-Sport pkg cars, M-line cars -- e.g. M135i) from the factory... Talk about whoring out the revered brand.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 07-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Re-Badged

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
As sad as this is, soon we'll see a lot more M badges on non-M cars (all the M-Sport pkg cars, M-line cars -- e.g. M135i) from the factory... Talk about whoring out the revered brand.
Yup. Those very people that we use to make fun of, will now be laughing at us.

O what a sad day.
Quote:
Old 07-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Porsche and BMW guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post

O what a sad day.
Taking off my enthusiast hat for a moment and putting my business hat on, it makes sense from a brand perspective and a sales perspective. The IS line never caught on. most people didn't care and saw no value in it. So instead, use a marquee name, build up performance (in the case of the M235i which is supposed to be faster than the 1M around the 'ring), and sell baby sell. Will it dilute the M brand? Probably some however, the people who care about the M brand are the same ones who know the difference between an M4 and a M435i... There are people who have no idea what an M3 is and no matter what they will be confused.

BMW is doing like Porsche did with the Cayenne. Release something the faithful will rebel against, sell a crap ton, profit, and keep making awesome cars that us enthusiasts will keep buying. Is it a perfect scenario? No. Will we know that the M435i /= the M4. Yes. Will they both drive like hell? I'm sure of it. On a personal level, as long as BMW is around and is profitable so I can keep buying them and the drive like the Ultimate Driving Machine, I don't care about much else
Old 07-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Porsche and BMW guru

OFC now that we've talked about the dilution of the M brand, let's talk performance.

We have a 2013 BMW M3 coupe 6 speed manual coming in that is Le Mans Blue, Black Extended Leather, Comp Package, Cold Weather, Premium, Carbon trim, Auto High Beams, Satellite, Apps, Premium Sound, Aluminum Pedals, Black Kidneys, Performance Exhaust, Carbon Fiber Front Splitter, CF Mirror Caps, CF Rear Spoiler, M performance steering wheel.

Only two stick shifts on the East Region now
Old 07-26-2013, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:

O what a sad day.

Not really, just ask "them" to pop the hood/bonnet followed by the statement "I thought ///M cars had ///M engines?"
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)

Last edited by car-fan; 07-26-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:54 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by car-fan View Post
Not really, just ask "them" to pop the hood/bonnet followed by the statement "I thought ///M cars had ///M engines?"
Car-fan!! - you live...

I thought you might have turned to the dark side and you might be flying your car-fan flag over at rennlist. Good to see you back in the neighborhood!
Old 07-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Re-Badged

Quote:
OFC now that we've talked about the dilution of the M brand, let's talk performance.

We have a 2013 BMW M3 coupe 6 speed manual coming in that is Le Mans Blue, Black Extended Leather, Comp Package, Cold Weather, Premium, Carbon trim, Auto High Beams, Satellite, Apps, Premium Sound, Aluminum Pedals, Black Kidneys, Performance Exhaust, Carbon Fiber Front Splitter, CF Mirror Caps, CF Rear Spoiler, M performance steering wheel.

Only two stick shifts on the East Region now
Holy Snap, that thing is loaded up to it's gills. Good color choice, though!
Quote:
Old 07-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Re-Badged

Quote:
Taking off my enthusiast hat for a moment and putting my business hat on, it makes sense from a brand perspective and a sales perspective. The IS line never caught on. most people didn't care and saw no value in it. So instead, use a marquee name, build up performance (in the case of the M235i which is supposed to be faster than the 1M around the 'ring), and sell baby sell. Will it dilute the M brand? Probably some however, the people who care about the M brand are the same ones who know the difference between an M4 and a M435i... There are people who have no idea what an M3 is and no matter what they will be confused.

BMW is doing like Porsche did with the Cayenne. Release something the faithful will rebel against, sell a crap ton, profit, and keep making awesome cars that us enthusiasts will keep buying. Is it a perfect scenario? No. Will we know that the M435i /= the M4. Yes. Will they both drive like hell? I'm sure of it. On a personal level, as long as BMW is around and is profitable so I can keep buying them and the drive like the Ultimate Driving Machine, I don't care about much else

That's the problem, they're no longer 'the ultimate driving machine'.
Quote:
Old 07-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
That's the problem, they're no longer 'the ultimate driving machine'.
That's still to be seen. I am no fan of the recent BMWs, but I am still hopeful that they won't ruin the M2/M3/M4. We shall see.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 07-27-2013, 12:18 AM

first run in with the pigs 82 in a 45. Getting more rear jammers put on tomorrow

lawyer said no worries as the points will be dropped for first timer but still now they have a record
Old 07-27-2013, 07:51 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
first run in with the pigs 82 in a 45. Getting more rear jammers put on tomorrow

lawyer said no worries as the points will be dropped for first timer but still now they have a record
Egregious Speeding : “Yes, Worries”

Sorry to pontificate, but you might take a moment and think about your actions. Speeding tickets are not like a strike of lightning – more realistically, you get nicked for behavior that is habitual. We both live in Potomac. Given the congestion and deer, and ……bicycles…, in Montgomery County – this continued behavior will surely result in tragedy. On Travilah Road a few years ago 4 kids were killed when they rolled their SUV doing 70 mph on a 30 mph curve - everyday I see the teddy bears and crosses that mark the spot. Yeah I know you are driving a very cool M3 but it appears this just raises the bar.

Intellectually, I expect you know that your actions can have tragic results but you have not internalized the consequences. BTW, if you’d been stopped across the river in Virginia – you would have been charged with felony reckless driving and your car could have been impounded and you; hauled off to jail in cuffs – anything over 80 mph in VA constitutes reckless driving – your family would be paying the big bucks to spring you from that one, and those consequences.

On a general note – it is not a good idea to post on the internet that you speed and have seemingly an entitlement to do so. All of us have engaged in stupid immature behavior – but you might regard the ticket as a flashing yellow light – caution – think about it – I am sure you understand on reflection that the cop was doing his job, and that it was you that was piggish, and deserved the lesson that ticket should provide.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
Egregious Speeding : "Yes, Worries"

Sorry to pontificate, but you might take a moment and think about your actions. Speeding tickets are not like a strike of lightning – more realistically, you get nicked for behavior that is habitual. We both live in Potomac. Given the congestion and deer, and ….....….....bicycles…....., in Montgomery County – this continued behavior will surely result in tragedy. On Travilah Road a few years ago 4 kids were killed when they rolled their SUV doing 70 mph on a 30 mph curve - everyday I see the teddy bears and crosses that mark the spot. Yeah I know you are driving a very cool M3 but it appears this just raises the bar.

Intellectually, I expect you know that your actions can have tragic results but you have not internalized the consequences. BTW, if you'd been stopped across the river in Virginia – you would have been charged with felony reckless driving and your car could have been impounded and you; hauled off to jail in cuffs – anything over 80 mph in VA constitutes reckless driving – your family would be paying the big bucks to spring you from that one, and those consequences.

On a general note – it is not a good idea to post on the internet that you speed and have seemingly an entitlement to do so. All of us have engaged in stupid immature behavior – but you might regard the ticket as a flashing yellow light – caution – think about it – I am sure you understand on reflection that the cop was doing his job, and that it was you that was piggish, and deserved the lesson that ticket should provide.
I mean I know all that and I'm well aware of the risk and have really only ever done it on like the empty icc when I'm ripping it hard. Doubt I'd be getting 23 mpgs in this bad boy if I was hammering it and swerving like an idiot .

I have far more confidence in this car between 0-80 than I do in anything else I've driven around our area. Maybe thats overconfidence but the #'s don't lie our car can run with anything and handles amazing in that range.

Yeah he's fine and I'm always polite and even if I'd been going 120 I'd have accepted the consequences and dealt with it as best I could. As you know 80 in our car on an open 3 lane straight (as this was, it wasn't like ripping down near anglers inn at 80) isn't the same as a 92' geo, so cars are very much not created equal. I do need to slow it down a tad as instead of 5-10 like with the 335i over I'm now 10-20, but a little more protection doesn't hurt, and we won't even get into bad weather driving I drive like grandma with the flashers on with any kind of accumulation as I'm not confident in my rwd ability in adverse conditions

And honestly even with 4+k of jamming and detection going into the car it still wouldn't save one from all the unmarks in our area that will nab you real quick if you're ripping around at insane speeds.

Lol and thanks for the feedback if I didn't know any better I'd say you were in my kitchen when I was getting yelled at lol.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 07-27-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:43 AM
East Coast Commuter

DC area M3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
That's still to be seen. I am no fan of the recent BMWs, but I am still hopeful that they won't ruin the M2/M3/M4. We shall see.
Me too. I have high hopes for the m4.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:44 AM
East Coast Commuter

DC area M3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
Egregious Speeding : "Yes, Worries"

Sorry to pontificate, but you might take a moment and think about your actions. Speeding tickets are not like a strike of lightning – more realistically, you get nicked for behavior that is habitual. We both live in Potomac. Given the congestion and deer, and ….….bicycles…., in Montgomery County – this continued behavior will surely result in tragedy. On Travilah Road a few years ago 4 kids were killed when they rolled their SUV doing 70 mph on a 30 mph curve - everyday I see the teddy bears and crosses that mark the spot. Yeah I know you are driving a very cool M3 but it appears this just raises the bar.

Intellectually, I expect you know that your actions can have tragic results but you have not internalized the consequences. BTW, if you'd been stopped across the river in Virginia – you would have been charged with felony reckless driving and your car could have been impounded and you; hauled off to jail in cuffs – anything over 80 mph in VA constitutes reckless driving – your family would be paying the big bucks to spring you from that one, and those consequences.

You know it was coming the way Terp drives....

Old 07-27-2013, 09:48 AM
East Coast Commuter

DC area M3s

Quote:
I mean I know all that and I'm well aware of the risk and have really only ever done it on like the empty icc when I'm ripping it hard. Doubt I'd be getting 23 mpgs in this bad boy if I was hammering it and swerving like an idiot .

I have far more confidence in this car between 0-80 than I do in anything else I've driven around our area. Maybe thats overconfidence but the #'s don't lie our car can run with anything and handles amazing in that range.

Yeah he's fine and I'm always polite and even if I'd been going 120 I'd have accepted the consequences and dealt with it as best I could. As you know 80 in our car on an open 3 lane straight (as this was, it wasn't like ripping down near anglers inn at 80) isn't the same as a 92' geo, so cars are very much not created equal. I do need to slow it down a tad as instead of 5-10 like with the 335i over I'm now 10-20, but a little more protection doesn't hurt, and we won't even get into bad weather driving I drive like grandma with the flashers on with any kind of accumulation as I'm not confident in my rwd ability in adverse conditions

And honestly even with 4+k of jamming and detection going into the car it still wouldn't save one from all the unmarks in our area that will nab you real quick if you're ripping around at insane speeds.

Lol and thanks for the feedback if I didn't know any better I'd say you were in my kitchen when I was getting yelled at lol.
All Capo is trying to say is slow it down a couple of notches to save your hide and that of your fellow motorist. The car is very capable, but the environment around you can be unpredictable hence the increased risk the faster you go on public roads. We like you Terp and want you to live long enough to continue contributing to the fest. Just be careful out there.....

Old 07-27-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
All Capo is trying to say is slow it down a couple of notches to save your hide and that of your fellow motorist. The car is very capable, but the environment around you can be unpredictable hence the increased risk the faster you go on public roads. We like you Terp and want you to live long enough to continue contributing to the fest. Just be careful out there.....

Yeah, I appreciate it my mom said what makes you think you're so special you don't have to follow the laws like everyone else lmao... Anyway the cars just different than the 335i those turbos made you feel like (same in our turbo s) you were going too fast where this car is just like oh you're at 80 which is what happened I was just on my way to work lol and sure enough over I got pulled, I was more worried because I wasn't quite sure how fast I was going .

And honestly the car is WAY more fun then the 335i I mean that engine and the noise... Chills (and I haven't even gotten the vt2-650 on it or upgraded the exhaust ; and I got an amazing price on the install )... I figure if I get cracked again by the cops I'll get rid of it if I can't get it under control.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 07-27-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Re-Badged

The car completely transforms with an exhaust and stage II. I ran an S4 and I was bus lengths by 4th gear.
Quote:
Old 07-27-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
The car completely transforms with an exhaust and stage II. I ran an S4 and I was bus lengths by 4th gear.
What car? 335i? I know lol I did cobb stage 1 aggressive +FMIC, stage 3 dinan suspension, and was getting ready to do vargas turbos before I got powned.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:53 PM
East Coast Commuter

DC area M3s

Quote:
What car? 335i? I know lol I did cobb stage 1 aggressive +FMIC, stage 3 dinan suspension, and was getting ready to do vargas turbos before I got powned.
Hot/Ice also has an m3 and has modded it recently.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Re-Badged

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
Hot/Ice also has an m3 and has modded it recently.

Quote: