Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Michael Schott Michael Schott is offline
Moderator
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,540
Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
MSport X1 test drive review

I attended my dealer's Ultimate Driving Event yesterday and tested an X1 xDrive28i MSport model. This example was Mineral Grey with the red interior. I believe it had the Ultimate Package. Great looking car with great seats.

I'm considering the X1 for my next car and was anxious to try one out. Most impressive was the N20 engine. Tons of power and torque. And a nice sound when pushed hard. The new ZF 8AT is a gem. I drove mainly in manual sport mode. The manual shifts were quick but I could still feel a delay as I am used to the MT in my 328i E90. I'd probably leave it to do it's own work most of the time.

The workmanship and quality seemed very high. Much of the switchgear is similar to the E90 as is the lovely hydraulic power steering. Handling is sharp with more understeer under power than I'd like. This was perhaps the biggest letdown for me. I didn't notice what tires it wore but perhaps they are at fault.

Overall, the X1 is a fine vehicle and if I cannot budget the 328i Sport Line then I will seriously consider a more basic X1 xDrive28i.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 06-27-2013, 12:07 PM
floydarogers's Avatar
floydarogers floydarogers is offline
Pedant and Curmudgeon
Location: Renton, WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,845
Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Thanks, Michael, for the review. I've looked at them but still contemplating what to do, as we have too many cars. My wife is kind of stealing my 335d from me, as it's much more fuel efficient than our others, and more comfortable than her Boxster and Highlander.

Been trying to decide between a 328dxt (sports wagon) or an X1 xDrive28i. Wish they were selling a diesel in the X1. Hard to justify the $10K premium of the wagon over the X1, but I love the diesel mileage.

What is your opinion between the sport seats and the non-sport seats? or have you sat in non-sport to have an opinion?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Michael Schott Michael Schott is offline
Moderator
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,540
Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Thanks, Michael, for the review. I've looked at them but still contemplating what to do, as we have too many cars. My wife is kind of stealing my 335d from me, as it's much more fuel efficient than our others, and more comfortable than her Boxster and Highlander.

Been trying to decide between a 328dxt (sports wagon) or an X1 xDrive28i. Wish they were selling a diesel in the X1. Hard to justify the $10K premium of the wagon over the X1, but I love the diesel mileage.

What is your opinion between the sport seats and the non-sport seats? or have you sat in non-sport to have an opinion?
I have not sat in the X1 non-sport seats but my E90 is a non-sport model and I find the seats comfortable and supportive.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-27-2013, 01:51 PM
dgkfl dgkfl is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 179
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x28i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Thanks, Michael, for the review. I've looked at them but still contemplating what to do, as we have too many cars. My wife is kind of stealing my 335d from me, as it's much more fuel efficient than our others, and more comfortable than her Boxster and Highlander.

Been trying to decide between a 328dxt (sports wagon) or an X1 xDrive28i. Wish they were selling a diesel in the X1. Hard to justify the $10K premium of the wagon over the X1, but I love the diesel mileage.

What is your opinion between the sport seats and the non-sport seats? or have you sat in non-sport to have an opinion?
I've had my X1, which sounds as if it pretty much matches the one Michael drove, for a month and a half and about 1600 miles now. It replaced a 335d non-sport so perhaps you'd like a quick update from me on my thoughts (somewhat randomly).

1. The X1's seats are better.
2. By and large the controls are very similar to E90 as Michael stated. It's the same, only different. The 335d had a black interior. The X1's Coral Red/cross hatch aluminum interior is much sharper than the 335d's IMHO, and if there's somewhat less soft touch in the X1, I don't miss it. I find it comfortable and attractive, better in all respects than the 335.
3. I find the X1 more responsive than the 335d. I find it more fun to drive the X1 aggressively than the d. I realize the d has a faster 0-60, but for the kind of driving I do, the quicker response of the X1 (less lag at low RPM--whether turbo lag, transmission response, or both), together with more than sufficient reserves, in my driving, (suburban, suburban highway, and a lot of rush hour), make the X1 more fun IMHO. Note I am not drag racing, driving on switchbacks (I wish), nor racing, but for the day-to-day I much prefer the X1 to the 335.
4. I like the X1's steering a little more than the 335, but it is actually stiffer at low speeds. I like it, but some people might object. The X1's brake feel is far superior to the 335d, which I always felt was too light.
5. The X1 feels very planted and controllable, but it does lean. You can tell it is a higher center of gravity. On the other hand, it rides better than the 335d, almost none of the crash the 335d had. I have the staggered hp runflats on 18". The 335d also had 18" with slightly smaller sidewalls.
6. Coming from the diesel, the N20 sounds fine to me. I also drive my wife's X3 35i, so I know what smooth and good-sounding power is, and I would say a 4 is a 4, but I think it's a very pleasant and potent engine. You know if you floor the 335d at speed, you feel endless reserves of smooth torque. The X1 is not like that, but it's more than satisfactory in terms of power, smoothness and sound relative to the 335d.
7. Mileage. Well, here the d wins hands down. I'm still amazed that the d averaged over 30 mpg during the time I had it. The X1 is averaging 24.0 on the computer right now (same driving). I assume that will improve a bit with more miles but no more 500+ miles on a tank for me I guess.

Oh, and for those who are thinking of the X1 as an SUV. It isn't. I would call it a tall hatchback. It drives much more like an e90, than like an X3. Relative to the X1, the X3 feels big, heavy, tippy and clunky (strictly by comparison); the X1 feels like a lithe sports car in comparison to the X3. And don't get me wrong, I like the X3 (for my wife). The two SAV's look superficially similar, but they drive completely differently.

I know I am probably still in the honeymoon period, but I am very very pleased with the X1 and prefer it to the d. I look forward to getting into it every day and my Miata is feeling a bit under appreciated.
__________________
David

dd: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i MSport
in garage: 2011 Mazda MX5 Miata 6mt
Wife's car: 2012 X3 35i
retired:
2011 335d
2008 328i 6mt
2005 325i 5mt

Last edited by dgkfl; 06-27-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Add comment about X1 vs X3
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-27-2013, 03:36 PM
bmw_again bmw_again is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 284
Mein Auto: 2001 325i manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkfl View Post
I've had my X1, which sounds as if it pretty much matches the one Michael drove, for a month and a half and about 1600 miles now. It replaced a 335d non-sport so perhaps you'd like a quick update from me on my thoughts (somewhat randomly).

1. The X1's seats are better.
2. By and large the controls are very similar to E90 as Michael stated. It's the same, only different. The 335d had a black interior. The X1's Coral Red/cross hatch aluminum interior is much sharper than the 335d's IMHO, and if there's somewhat less soft touch in the X1, I don't miss it. I find it comfortable and attractive, better in all respects than the 335.
3. I find the X1 more responsive than the 335d. I find it more fun to drive the X1 aggressively than the d. I realize the d has a faster 0-60, but for the kind of driving I do, the quicker response of the X1 (less lag at low RPM--whether turbo lag, transmission response, or both), together with more than sufficient reserves, in my driving, (suburban, suburban highway, and a lot of rush hour), make the X1 more fun IMHO. Note I am not drag racing, driving on switchbacks (I wish), nor racing, but for the day-to-day I much prefer the X1 to the 335.
4. I like the X1's steering a little more than the 335, but it is actually stiffer at low speeds. I like it, but some people might object. The X1's brake feel is far superior to the 335d, which I always felt was too light.
5. The X1 feels very planted and controllable, but it does lean. You can tell it is a higher center of gravity. On the other hand, it rides better than the 335d, almost none of the crash the 335d had. I have the staggered hp runflats on 18". The 335d also had 18" with slightly smaller sidewalls.
6. Coming from the diesel, the N20 sounds fine to me. I also drive my wife's X3 35i, so I know what smooth and good-sounding power is, and I would say a 4 is a 4, but I think it's a very pleasant and potent engine. You know if you floor the 335d at speed, you feel endless reserves of smooth torque. The X1 is not like that, but it's more than satisfactory in terms of power, smoothness and sound relative to the 335d.
7. Mileage. Well, here the d wins hands down. I'm still amazed that the d averaged over 30 mpg during the time I had it. The X1 is averaging 24.0 on the computer right now (same driving). I assume that will improve a bit with more miles but no more 500+ miles on a tank for me I guess.

Oh, and for those who are thinking of the X1 as an SUV. It isn't. I would call it a tall hatchback. It drives much more like an e90, than like an X3. Relative to the X1, the X3 feels big, heavy, tippy and clunky (strictly by comparison); the X1 feels like a lithe sports car in comparison to the X3. And don't get me wrong, I like the X3 (for my wife). The two SAV's look superficially similar, but they drive completely differently.

I know I am probably still in the honeymoon period, but I am very very pleased with the X1 and prefer it to the d. I look forward to getting into it every day and my Miata is feeling a bit under appreciated.
This. Completely agree. My wife drives X3 and it is nice, but X3 really feels like older generation 3 series. But while the new auto is great I still want manual...

I guess at some point it will be either buy an M car or just accept the auto.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-27-2013, 03:37 PM
bmw_again bmw_again is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 284
Mein Auto: 2001 325i manual
Typo, above meant X1 feels like older ...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Kansasstate Kansasstate is offline
Registered User
Location: Kansas
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 28
Mein Auto: X1 M Sport
I have had my M Sport X128i for a few weeks now and really see it as a raised 4 door sport sedan with a hatch. I didn't pay for any of the additional options other than heated seats and the PANO roof. If I wanted to waist money I probably would have paid for a better stereo and leather seats. It is a bit annoying more than anything that they didn't put a little bit better materials in terms of plastics, etc. I reminds us of our old turbo 4 Saab and that is why we bought it. But, there is a bit a quality difference in materials compared to a pre GM saab.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:18 PM
woohoo's Avatar
woohoo woohoo is offline
What to do...?
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 648
Mein Auto: 128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I attended my dealer's Ultimate Driving Event yesterday and tested an X1 xDrive28i MSport model. This example was Mineral Grey with the red interior. I believe it had the Ultimate Package. Great looking car with great seats.

I'm considering the X1 for my next car and was anxious to try one out. Most impressive was the N20 engine. Tons of power and torque. And a nice sound when pushed hard. The new ZF 8AT is a gem. I drove mainly in manual sport mode. The manual shifts were quick but I could still feel a delay as I am used to the MT in my 328i E90. I'd probably leave it to do it's own work most of the time.

The workmanship and quality seemed very high. Much of the switchgear is similar to the E90 as is the lovely hydraulic power steering. Handling is sharp with more understeer under power than I'd like. This was perhaps the biggest letdown for me. I didn't notice what tires it wore but perhaps they are at fault.

Overall, the X1 is a fine vehicle and if I cannot budget the 328i Sport Line then I will seriously consider a more basic X1 xDrive28i.
I drove the same car this past weekend in California. I think it is a Sport Line. Did the floor mats have red trim? Also, did the red leather seats have the grey detail in the middle of the seat back? If so, it is a Sport Line and has the regular, non-sport suspension.

It also has the Cold Weather and Lighting packages, along with the Harmon Kardon upgrade.

I think the tires are all season P7 Pirellis.
__________________
128i | Manual | AW Terra Alum | M-Sport | Convenience | Moonroof
X1 sDrive28i | AW Sand Beige Fineline | M-Sport | Ultimate | Lighting | Servotronic | HK | Heated Seats
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-09-2013, 05:04 AM
tonydetiger tonydetiger is offline
Registered User
Location: Nashville
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 86
Mein Auto: I wish it was a Bimmer
MSport X1 test drive review

I drove the same one. It was a Sport package.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-09-2013, 11:09 AM
dgkfl dgkfl is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 179
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x28i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
I drove the same car this past weekend in California. I think it is a Sport Line. Did the floor mats have red trim? Also, did the red leather seats have the grey detail in the middle of the seat back? If so, it is a Sport Line and has the regular, non-sport suspension.

It also has the Cold Weather and Lighting packages, along with the Harmon Kardon upgrade.

I think the tires are all season P7 Pirellis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydetiger View Post
I drove the same one. It was a Sport package.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Just as a point of information: My MSport with red interior has both the gray trim (the upholstery code is LUTZ, same as on the Sport) and the red-trimmed mats. It is most definitely an MSport, not a Sport.

There are several ways to tell the difference, including the door sill plates, steering wheel and dead pedal, but the easiest way is: if the roofliner is black it's an MSport; if not, it isn't.
__________________
David

dd: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i MSport
in garage: 2011 Mazda MX5 Miata 6mt
Wife's car: 2012 X3 35i
retired:
2011 335d
2008 328i 6mt
2005 325i 5mt

Last edited by dgkfl; 07-09-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-09-2013, 11:44 AM
tonydetiger tonydetiger is offline
Registered User
Location: Nashville
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 86
Mein Auto: I wish it was a Bimmer
MSport X1 test drive review

Not to argue over this, but the BMWUSA rep at the event specifically told me it was the Sport package. There was no M badging on the steering wheel, dead pedal, or door sills. There were no paddle shifters.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-19-2013, 04:38 AM
spydrz's Avatar
spydrz spydrz is offline
Sandlapper Chapter
Location: RVA
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,751
Mein Auto: 2013 X1 xDrive35i
I drove that one too, it wasn't M Sport but Sport Line.
__________________
1984 318i/man./Tornadorot*
1990 525i/man./Alpinweiß*
2001 525i/man./SP/PP/Cosmosschwarz/Sandbeige*
2002 X5 3.0i/man./SP/PP/Sirius/BT/Titansilber/Sandbeige*
2006 330i/man./SP/PP/CWP/Sirius/Blackline/Rear Fogs/Arktis/Grau*
2001 525i/step./SP/PP/CP/CWP/Xenons/Rear Shade/OEM Sirius/OEM BT/OEM AUX/M5 Rear Sway/Bilstein HDs/Beisan Vanos/Rear Fogs/Schiefergrün/Sandbeige*
2012 VW Golf R/Rising Blue*
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Premium/Tech
*retired
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-19-2013, 10:22 AM
nostatic nostatic is offline
Registered User
Location: socal
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 58
Mein Auto: x1 x28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydetiger View Post
Not to argue over this, but the BMWUSA rep at the event specifically told me it was the Sport package. There was no M badging on the steering wheel, dead pedal, or door sills. There were no paddle shifters.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
You can get paddle shifters for N/C with the Sport Line. But they have to be specifically ordered.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-24-2013, 09:07 AM
greyX1's Avatar
greyX1 greyX1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 209
Mein Auto: 2013 s28i X1
The wheels on the M Sport are also badged with the M logo...
__________________
SOLD Mineral Grey Metallic X1 s28i M-Sport
for sale: BurgerMotorSports Stage 1 tune
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms