Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 525i and E30 M3
Speedo Issues and other stuff

It's time to fix this problem. This car (89 M3) has been really good to me and this is the one problem I really need to fix.

Symptoms are this....

The speedo is out most of the time. Sometimes it will work for a bit and or bounce around then die out again. When it is NOT working the odometer also stops along with any OBC functions associated with the speedo. Consumption, range, AVG MPG, AVG speed, things like that.

All other gauges work all the time.

I have checked the sensor visually in the diff and al the wiring seemed to be intact.

I'm trying to figure out the most common spot to check first.

TIA.

Steve
Ads by Google
Old 07-25-2013, 01:27 AM
Git

Mein Auto: 90 Ford Tempo
I would suggest that a continuity test of the speedo harness will expose a broken wire between the speed sensor and the first harness support gubbin on the chassis below the trunk... Unless you have Xray vision

m
Old 07-25-2013, 06:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E30 318i 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7pilot View Post
I would suggest that a continuity test of the speedo harness will expose a broken wire between the speed sensor and the first harness support gubbin on the chassis below the trunk... Unless you have Xray vision

m
I agree with this^^^^....problem is that the fault is intermittent.

@Steve...

A multimeter needs to be put on the leads to measure continuity....best is to short out the two leads on one end and put the meter, in Ohms mode, across the two leads at the other end. Then try moving the lead around to see if the continuity drops out.

Also need to check the lead for a short to chassis somewhere while moving the lead about.
My circuit diagram shows that the one lead, Brown, goes to ground in any case...if the cable is pinched or frayed anywhere then the signal lead, Brown/Red, could easily short out to the Brown lead or direct to chassis.

Could also be a loose connection on the cluster itself....even the +12 volts coming from fuse 12 could have a bad connection on the back of the speedo.