Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-22-2013, 02:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535I & 2008 G35
Looks like it is just another addition, just a shade darker than space grey. I bet it will replace Space Grey in 2015

Last edited by BlakeH; 07-22-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeH View Post
@Sonicendeavor: Looks like we are on the same boat. Did you order from Jon? I will be taking the train to Santa Barbara from Orange County to take final delivery.
Excellent. Yes, I ordered from Jon as well. We were thinking about taking the train but I think I'll just do a one way rental through Enterprise. They have a facility a couple of miles away from the Dealership.
The ship is heading into the first set of locks in the canal right this moment.
Webcam is at http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html
Click on the Gatun -High Resolution tab
Coded myself: Turn off power when opening door, ASS off by default, Enable turn signals in HUD, DVD in Motion, Transfer telephone ringtone to car, Enable tire pressure and temperature display in iDrive. Disable iDrive legal disclaimer, Disable Rear/Side camera disclaimers.
20/80 Highway/City

Last edited by Sonicendeavor; 07-22-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by eichlerbimmer View Post
That's the hope; already have ticket to fly down to SoCal on Saturday 7/27, so fingers crossed. Been watching those of you who opted for the 2014, and gone back and forth about switching. But, then I didn't do the M-Sport, so I think the changes were minimal enough to stick with the 13 and save a few bucks for now and look to the next set of improvements in 3 years.

I will also be going down to Santa Barbara from the SF Bay area to pick mine up, not until late September though. Was wondering if you somehow got a non-stop flight out of SFO or another bay area airport? It looks like you mostly need to fly into LAX first to get a reasonable price for the flight. Any info is appreciated. Congrats on your new F10!

2014 550i, Dark Graphite Metallic, Mocha Nappa, Anthracite. M Sport Pkg w/704, Exec Pkg, Luxury Seating, Heated Seats, Bang & Olufsen Sound System, LED Lighting Pkg, Side and Top View Cameras.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull21 View Post
I will also be going down to Santa Barbara from the SF Bay area to pick mine up, not until late September though. Was wondering if you somehow got a non-stop flight out of SFO or another bay area airport? It looks like you mostly need to fly into LAX first to get a reasonable price for the flight. Any info is appreciated. Congrats on your new F10!
Have you seen an example of mocha brown?

Are the foot wells black?
Old 07-22-2013, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace535i View Post
Have you seen an example of mocha brown?

Are the foot wells black?

I saw a picture a few weeks ago (someone from this site posted a link, don't remember where I saw it exactly). It looks nice, kind of a rich dark brown, at least better (to me) than the 2013 cinnamon color. And white, gray or tan interiors are just not my thing - it's really subjective. I would much prefer black nappa, but BMW in their infinite wisdom decided not to offer that in the 2014 F10.

I don't remember if the foot wells are black or brown. I would guess black as the dash is black?

2014 550i, Dark Graphite Metallic, Mocha Nappa, Anthracite. M Sport Pkg w/704, Exec Pkg, Luxury Seating, Heated Seats, Bang & Olufsen Sound System, LED Lighting Pkg, Side and Top View Cameras.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:06 PM

What do you think of a imperial blue with a black nappa interior and piano black trim?
Old 07-22-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull21 View Post
I saw a picture a few weeks ago (someone from this site posted a link, don't remember where I saw it exactly). It looks nice, kind of a rich dark brown, at least better (to me) than the 2013 cinnamon color. And white, gray or tan interiors are just not my thing - it's really subjective. I would much prefer black nappa, but BMW in their infinite wisdom decided not to offer that in the 2014 F10.

I don't remember if the foot wells are black or brown. I would guess black as the dash is black?
Yes, the carpet is black with the mocha interior.
Coded myself: Turn off power when opening door, ASS off by default, Enable turn signals in HUD, DVD in Motion, Transfer telephone ringtone to car, Enable tire pressure and temperature display in iDrive. Disable iDrive legal disclaimer, Disable Rear/Side camera disclaimers.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 07-22-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
What do you think of a imperial blue with a black nappa interior and piano black trim?
Very nice combination. Personally, I would break up the black with the anthracite wood trim to provide a little contrast on the dash and door panels, but the piano black will look nice.
I recommend heading over to a local dealer and browsing the different colors in sun and shade. Earlier in the day or late afternoon will allow you to see the sunny side and shady side. If they don't have the color in a new car, head over to the pre-owned area.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 07-22-2013, 09:24 PM

The Grand Venus exiting the third stage of the Gatun locks this afternoon and on its way into the into the Panama Canal....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	388087  
20/80 Highway/City
Old 07-22-2013, 09:25 PM

Delete duplicate

Last edited by Sonicendeavor; 07-22-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:31 PM

@Sonicendeavor: Thanks for the update. From your prior post, I was able to watch the Grand Venus pass through the locks. It is amazing how fast the vessel rises in the locks.

Looks like the vessel is at rest now and not moving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	venus.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	388091  
Old 07-22-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
@Sonicendeavor: Thanks for the update. From your prior post, I was able to watch the Grand Venus pass through the locks. It is amazing how fast the vessel rises in the locks.

Looks like the vessel is at rest now and not moving.
Great! Yeah, I saw it stop in an odd place in the canal just before the entrance to the lake then restart 30 minutes later and make a hard left to get out of the shipping lanes, then anchor. Hopefully this is scheduled activity.
20/80 Highway/City

Last edited by Sonicendeavor; 07-22-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb535 View Post
Has anyone else on the East Coast received their car yet (or at least have their car in port?

Just curious to see if my ship (California Highway) is the first to ship the LCI to the east coast...
I just read a short article in Car and Driver dated 7/11/13 indicating that some 5 series LCI's have already arrived at the Dealerships. Same thing on Autoweek.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 07-23-2013, 02:01 PM

Who in CA has the 2014s?
Old 07-23-2013, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M-Sport
[QUOTE=Sonicendeavor;7727980]I just read a short article in Car and Driver dated 7/11/13 indicating that some 5 series LCI's have already arrived at the Dealerships. Same thing on Autoweek.[/QUOTE

I saw that but if there is still a Monroney hold for the window sticker how can they be anything but demos?

Retired:
2011 335is 6MT
2008 535i
2007 328i 6MT
1987 325is 5MT
Old 07-23-2013, 02:51 PM

[QUOTE=sb535;7728027]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicendeavor View Post
I just read a short article in Car and Driver dated 7/11/13 indicating that some 5 series LCI's have already arrived at the Dealerships. Same thing on Autoweek.[/QUOTE

I saw that but if there is still a Monroney hold for the window sticker how can they be anything but demos?
Agreed. I was only addressing the question of whether the ships arriving this week had the first batch of LCI's. I touched base with Jon this morning and he indicated that the EPA hold will be cleared in time for the August launch.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 07-23-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I just read a short article in Car and Driver dated 7/11/13 indicating that some 5 series LCI's have already arrived at the Dealerships. Same thing on Autoweek.
Actually, that is probably a good thing that cars are arriving early. Let a few hundred/thousand go through production so they figure out the slight differences with our cars. I am still a bit nervous about getting the first run on the 2014s. Hopefully we get free software updates as bugs are discovered in the new Navigation system and iDrive.

I also noticed that the vessel with my car has remained anchored for a day now. Hopefully this is planned and not an issue with the ship.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Actually, that is probably a good thing that cars are arriving early. Let a few hundred/thousand go through production so they figure out the slight differences with our cars. I am still a bit nervous about getting the first run on the 2014s. Hopefully we get free software updates as bugs are discovered in the new Navigation system and iDrive.

I also noticed that the vessel with my car has remained anchored for a day now. Hopefully this is planned and not an issue with the ship.
Yeah, something's up with our ship. The AIS transponder hasn't sent a signal out since last night. Best case, the transponder died and the ship is already out in the Pacific ocean. Worst case, bubble bubble there are 6400 cars at the bottom of the Panama canal. (Kidding).
I'm guessing either mechanical problems or its been boarded by international inspectors looking for Soviet era Mig parts.
Anyone have any other guesses (the more humorous, the better)
20/80 Highway/City
Old 07-23-2013, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M-Sport
[QUOTE=Sonicendeavor;7728121]
Quote:

Agreed. I was only addressing the question of whether the ships arriving this week had the first batch of LCI's. I touched base with Jon this morning and he indicated that the EPA hold will be cleared in time for the August launch.
So to clarify, does August launch mean 8/1? My ship gets to the VDC tomorrow and I would expect two days before it is ready to ship (no dealer installed options).

Which means it should be ready to ship either 7/25 or 7/28. If I only have to wait another 5 days (8/1 is a Friday) that wouldn't be too bad.

Thanks for the info sonic....

Retired:
2011 335is 6MT
2008 535i
2007 328i 6MT
1987 325is 5MT
Old 07-23-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:

So to clarify, does August launch mean 8/1? My ship gets to the VDC tomorrow and I would expect two days before it is ready to ship (no dealer installed options).

Which means it should be ready to ship either 7/25 or 7/28. If I only have to wait another 5 days (8/1 is a Friday) that wouldn't be too bad.

Thanks for the info sonic....
Not sure about the official launch date. You may want to ask your Dealer about when they can release the car. Jon just said the EPA hold would be cleared by the time mine is ready for delivery. August 2nd ship arrival, one day to unload the ship, hopefully 3 days to get through the VDC provided there's no shipping damage that requires body work or paint shop, 1-2 days waiting for a car carrier, one day transport to the Dealer (actually 1 hour since my Dealer is very close to the port), two days for Dealer prep, would put delivery for mine around 8/10.
20/80 Highway/City

Last edited by Sonicendeavor; 07-23-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Yeah, something's up with our ship. The AIS transponder hasn't sent a signal out since last night. Best case, the transponder died and the ship is already out in the Pacific ocean. Worst case, bubble bubble there are 6400 cars at the bottom of the Panama canal. (Kidding).
I'm guessing either mechanical problems or its been boarded by international inspectors looking for Soviet era Mig parts.
Anyone have any other guesses (the more humorous, the better)
If the ship sinks, then I think I might change to the 535d. Sounds like it may be faster than the 535i and with better fuel economy.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
The Grand Venus exiting the third stage of the Gatun locks this afternoon and on its way into the into the Panama Canal....
How many cars do those ships contain?
Old 07-24-2013, 04:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to skilletbgm
Mein Auto: 2014 535D (US Spec)
Quote:
Several thousand. I've heard 5-8000 depending on the size of the cargo. large trucks and heavy equipment will take more space and weighs more than a passenger auto.

Here's a link to wallenius, one of the major car carriers, for more info --> http://www.walleniuslines.com/Fleet/Fleet-List1/

BMWCCA - 341029

ED P/U - 09/13/2013
ED D/O - X1 (09/15), 535d (09/21)
REDELIVERY - X1 (10/31), 535d (11/4)
Old 07-24-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
The ship mine is on has a capacity of 6400 cars.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 07-24-2013, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d
Quote:
If the ship sinks, then I think I might change to the 535d. Sounds like it may be faster than the 535i and with better fuel economy.
Blake, have you seen any performance specs for the US 535D? I am contemplating changing my order(if possible) from a 535I to 535D. The higher torque and therefore more usable everyday power/performance in addition to the greater fuel economy that I've read about the Euro spec 530D makes a good case for the US 535D. The N55 is a sweet engine, really curious if the diesel is as fun to drive(or more so).

European delivery 9/13/2014, 2014 535d MSport, Carbon Black, Mocha Nappa, Anthracite trim Cold Weather Package, Driver Assistance Package, Harman Kardon, SAT, Multi Contour Seats
----------------------------
Past BMWs
1997 528i
2001 530i Sport pkg.-ED then 265K glorious miles, gone but not forgotten....