Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 07-21-2013, 10:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535Xi M Sport
640xi Vibration Problem

Hi Folks,

I did the test drive for both cars as part of BMW Ultimate Driving Experience, the CLS was very powerful, smooth, light and numb steering, however the seats were uncomfortable for a bog guy like me.. however the Airmatic suspension didn't feel special on both comfort and sport settings also there was some sort of road noise(very minimal, but I could feel the tires running)

The 640i was nicer, driver position and view was better. Definitely the dash and NAV was much better and bigger screen.

Two things, the car was silky and very smooth when driving, minimal noise, very quiet cabin, steering weight is more boosted compared than the CLS and little annoying at parking speed while on the CLS I could turn it in one finger. On problem I found and it bothered me, I felt some sort of vibration when idling or driving 2-5 miles per hour !! I could fell the vibration on the steering wheel and underneath my feet ....on some occasions it felt like its radiating to the driver seat too!!! My brother was with me and he said he is feeling the same under his feet!

I've seen this problem on some 4 cylinder cars like the Honda Accord, If you put it on Drive + Turn the AC on and stop at the traffic signal you will feel a great deal of vibration and even the whole Dashboard sometimes vibrate!! Its expected on a 4 cylinder Japanese car, but not on a 6 Cylinder 2013 BMW!

I am really surprised as I never expected this from a car at this class!! I remember this problem existed on the previous generation 5 series but used to feel the vibration on the steering wheel only and they resolved it on the new generation. Current 5 and 7 series does not have that and very smooth with minimal to no vibration at all.

Do you have guys have that problem? Did any of you noticed the same?

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by ahmadddd; 07-22-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2013, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 650xi GC
I don't feel this vibration in the 650xi, so it might be a characteristic of the 640xi or other cars with the N55 engine.

If you are going to compare the CLS to the 6GC, you should be aware that they are geared towards slightly different buyers. While both are heavy on style, the non-AMG CLS is more of a luxo-cruiser with a more isolated cabin and compliant ride. The 6GC is more sporty and as such will not be as refined in its ride quality but will have superior handling.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the info
Old 07-23-2013, 03:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Re: 640xi Vibration Problem

For the best "Parking Speed" experience, Integral Active Steering is amazing. I have it on my 650i and swear by it. The rear wheels turn so you dont have to turn the steering wheel as much to negotiate tight spaces. Only downside is that it's not available on X-Drive models.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-23-2013, 07:30 AM

The parking assist feature is also not available on xDrive models, which I found frustrating. The hydraulic steering makes up for these shortcomings though
Old 07-23-2013, 08:14 AM

Yes, I've noticed that when I turn the steering wheel all the way I hear the noise of the pump.. that means it does not have electric steering.

would the 640i have electric steering? It supposed to be lighter at parking speeds and smoother
Old 07-24-2013, 09:19 AM

Yes, both the 640i and 650i have electric steering for improved fuel economy. The only reason the 650xi (and I believe 640xi as well) retained hydraulic steering was because BMW couldn't fit the electric steering hardware into the chassis along with xDrive. I'm sure they will "fix" that in future models though
Old 08-10-2013, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexvectigal View Post
I don't feel this vibration in the 650xi, so it might be a characteristic of the 640xi or other cars with the N55 engine.

If you are going to compare the CLS to the 6GC, you should be aware that they are geared towards slightly different buyers. While both are heavy on style, the non-AMG CLS is more of a luxo-cruiser with a more isolated cabin and compliant ride. The 6GC is more sporty and as such will not be as refined in its ride quality but will have superior handling.
I just returned from test driving a 650 xdrive today. I experienced a periodic vibration coming up through the steering column.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:41 PM

I hear you, I don't think steering vibration is considered as part of the sports car characteristic!! Sport steering should be smooth too and provide road feedback when driving, but not engine vibration while idling or driving on a very low speeds
Old 08-11-2013, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: Hawk
640xi Vibration Problem

Are you sure you weren't experiencing the intended steering wheel vibration from the Lane Change or Lane Departure Warning functions?
Old 08-11-2013, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 330XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyjd View Post
Are you sure you weren't experiencing the intended steering wheel vibration from the Lane Change or Lane Departure Warning functions?
Yes, I am sure. I was not changing lanes or drifting when i experienced the vibration. I was on a test drive with the CA, who could not explain why the periodic vibration was felt.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:52 AM

It reminds me of my previous Honda Accord, same thing when the the car is on drive and AC is on and I stop on a traffic signal the whole car vibrates and I can see the front seats vibrating too until I move it to Park!