Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 06-25-2013, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: '99 740iL
Love my 740iL! However... ;-)

Greetings everyone! So glad to be a part of the community of proud BMW owners.
Last year I stumbled into a wonderful deal. Even with the problems I'm going to discuss, as a diy wrench-turner, I still think I got a great car. I picked up my '99 740iL from a local dealer. They wanted $6k. I went online to KBB and looked it up. Long story short, after going over the car thoroughly, I shot them a price of $3k cash. They accepted. I decided to give it to my wife for our 5th anniversary. She almost crapped a brick. It's the first luxury car she had ever owned.
Let's move on to the problems so far:
1: Had to replace the high pressure line on the steering. Kind of a pain in the butt, but with the aid of a 3/4 crows-foot socket, and some online reference, I got it taken care of.
2: No sooner had I fixed the steering hose when the car developed a coolant leak. This one drove me nuts. Leak was somewhere at the back of engine on the passenger side. Could not figure out where! It was driving me nuts. Finally, with the help of a friend holding a flashlight at just the right angle, I was able to spot the source. The hose that runs from the auxiliary water pump had split right at the edge of the clamp holding it to the inlet. Cost to fix? $0. Cut of 3/8 inch of the hose and reclamp. Leak gone.
3: A week later, I start the car and a big puff of oil smoke (blue/white, non-dissipating) comes out of the exhaust on start up. Now what!? Some people have said "broken/cracked ring". Some have said "blown head gasket". Some have said "cracked head". Some have said "CVV, PCV or OSV" (btw, just under 160k on the car). Now I can tell you this: Icleaned the throttle body and the MAF. Compression check passes. All cylinders just under 14 bar. HOWEVER... All plugs had oil on them. All of them. Cleaned plugs, buttoned her back up. Cranked the key... Puff of smoke out the back.
So... what do you think? She does vibrate a bit at speed (50+) since the smoke has started. Any thoughts appreciated.
Have a great day everyone! Drive safe!
Advertisement
Old 06-25-2013, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
http://www.magnum1.com/magnum/BMW-74...-Cover-740.php

Check link above. Great write up.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:56 PM

Re: Love my 740iL! However... ;-)

Thanks for the link. I have done a lot of reading on this particular problem and do believe it is the culprit. Any recommendations as to where to pick one up at a good price? I'm on holiday this week and would love to get it done while I'm off. Tnx!!
Old 06-26-2013, 05:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
Click on the part # in the link. The cover goes for ~ 80 bucks. Quickest way may be dealer. I typically use partgeeks.com
Old 06-26-2013, 05:45 AM
Playing Mechanic At Home

Send a message via AIM to ou18 Send a message via Yahoo to ou18
Mein Auto: 1997 740 IL
there is alot of places online for this part. Depends on how quick you want to get it.
Pelican Parts, bavauto.com, ecstuning, oembimmerparts, pick your poison.....

1997 Black 740IL (w\ badass Phone in console)
Old 06-26-2013, 07:39 AM

Thanks! I need one, so I'm going to get on getting one right now. Any other tips and tricks, and things to be on the look-out for, are appreciated. Any vendors to recommend on getting the instrument cluster repaired?
Old 06-26-2013, 07:51 AM
Playing Mechanic At Home

Whats going on with the instrument cluster. Dead Pixels? Intermittent guages working?
There are several companies that offer dead pixel fixes. And several that offer the ribbon in order to fix it yourself. But be warned, i did mine, and it is a pure pain in the ass.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:12 AM

I thought about doing it myself. I'm a ham radio operator and am no stranger to a soldering iron, but... The message readout is almost completely unreadable, the tach doesn't work and the shift indicator plate is smudged (three indicator lights work correctly, just the P,R,N,D... aren't readable. Like they've been partially wiped off?) The indicators at the shift lever still work just fine.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:13 AM

That should have read "the indicator lights work" not "three".
Old 07-23-2013, 07:49 PM

Well, I repaired the intake manifold cover. Solved the oil smoke problem. I did the "10 minute fix" method I watched online. Worked like a charm. All I needed was a pry bar, a feeler gauge and some patience. Now to get the instrument cluster fixed.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:19 AM
Playing Mechanic At Home

im not sure, i might still have the guid on repairing the dead pixels. Like i said its a pita, but can be done.
There is a ribbon that attaches from the dash to the readout, that ribbon gets old and the rubber pieces that presses against the connections gets indentations in it. So the connection isnt a good one, therefore creating dead pixels.

The pixels display in the center of the dash is easier than the pixels in the instrument cluster. That one requires some dripping thru the cluster to get some screws out to replace the ribbon..

There are places online that will do it for you. The ribbons are cheap, but it took me quite a while to get it all apart and back together. Just time consuming and delicate to say the least...

Ill look for the manual that came with the parts. not sure though if i still have it or not...

There is also some videos showing how to do it on youtube as well.

Last edited by ou18; 07-24-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the help and info.