Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-24-2013, 05:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 540i
Alpina front Lip

Hello everyone,

Some of you might think this is tacky, some of you might think this is cheesy, but what do you guys think of this Alpina front lip: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BMW-E39-ALPIN...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

I am not trying to make a fake Alpina i simply just like the look. The wheels I have, have been the best purchase for the vehicle and have been getting nothing but compliments.

I think this lip is subtle yet would make a nice touch to the front end. Obviously its a replica and the only downside is that it is fibreglass. Basically if i bump it then its toast right? Also if I do decide to get this, should I leave it all the same color, or have the ALPINA painted in white, and the rest the color of the body of the vehicle, as displayed in the image... or paint it all the same color.

Need some honest opinions. Here are some pics of my car. I personally don't see this any different then putting non ///M bumpers on ///M vehicles, just my opinion though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	388263   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 (3).jpg
Views:	233
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	388264   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1 (2).jpg
Views:	173
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	388265   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3 (2).jpg
Views:	177
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	388266  
19" Alpina Reps, H&R Sport Springs (50464), Business unit with GROM Ipod Interface, BMW LED 10w AE bulbs, AFE Cold Air Intake Stage 1, Black Kidney Grilles, M5 rear lip, Extreme Bright LED License plate lights

Advertisement
Old 07-24-2013, 05:49 AM

Mein Auto: 540I
I'd be concerned that as soon as you bumped something with it it could crack as you mentioned. What is the real lip made of?
Old 07-24-2013, 06:01 AM

Mein Auto: '02 540iT
honestly its really hard to tell the difference between that and OEM, I wouldn't spend the money

ColdWeather+Summer+Sport--20/30 Ceramic Tint--Euro Armrest--JL 13tw5-3 Subwoofer--LED AEs
Old 07-24-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94CSI View Post
I'd be concerned that as soon as you bumped something with it it could crack as you mentioned. What is the real lip made of?
For a bit of an updated front look I am willing to take that chance, maybe it will teach me to stay away from curbs. From my understanding the real one is made of some kind of plastic, which I am guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the540wgn View Post
honestly its really hard to tell the difference between that and OEM, I wouldn't spend the money
I don't get it, are you being sarcastic or... Its hard to tell the difference between that and oem which sounds like a good thing and then you wouldn't really recommend it. I mean for $80 if its bad at least i didn't spend too much money.

The real one is $1200
19" Alpina Reps, H&R Sport Springs (50464), Business unit with GROM Ipod Interface, BMW LED 10w AE bulbs, AFE Cold Air Intake Stage 1, Black Kidney Grilles, M5 rear lip, Extreme Bright LED License plate lights

Old 07-24-2013, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: 03 540, 06 E53 4.8, Z32TT
I like it, even though it's hardly noticeable. Should work well with your car.

FS 2001 ///M5
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=791509
2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's DD), 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy ride)

Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32TwinTurbo
Old 07-24-2013, 07:14 AM

Alpina front Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmvE39/E53/Z32 View Post
I like it, even though it's hardly noticeable. Should work well with your car.
Thanks, that's exactly what I am going for. Just a subtle change to the front end.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 07-24-2013, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: e39 530i e28 535is(Sold)
I think its hardly noticeable and personally would not bother even though its pretty cheap. If you do get it I say go for the Aplina lettering in white because it is hardly noticeable I think that would set it off better.

Also if you are unsure about the Alpina lettering instead of getting it painted you could see if you could get the Aplina lettering as custom decal from one of those shops that do custom wraps. That way if you change your mind about the Alpina lettering you can take it off.

Alternative
I think the OEM style lower valence is better look than the Alpina. It looks really good on darker colored cars like yours. The first one is the facelift version. The last two are the pre-facelift versions. I think standard mounting or molded like the last pic both look good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KarbonBumper.jpg
Views:	1741
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	388287   Click image for larger version

Name:	HoZy_Front01_plateshop01.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	391.0 KB
ID:	388288   Click image for larger version

Name:	prefaceliftlip.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	388289  
Old 07-24-2013, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i
I think that's a pretty cool looking lip. Does that bolt on or do you use really strong double sided tape?

Old 07-24-2013, 09:03 AM
DINAN 5

Mein Auto: E39
I bought a pre-face lift one off ebay, and it fit (prefacelift) perfectly. Unfortunately it was for pre-facelift but the guy advertised that it fit 97-03 which was untrue, so he gave me some of my money back. (He offered all my money back if I were to destroy the lip and send him a picture, and I thought that would be a shame - i'd rather see it get installed on someone elses car). What pisses me off, is the guy STILL advertises his lip as 97-03 even though he knows it doesnt fit 01-03.

This other seller here, has ZERO feedback as a seller, and 6 feedback as a buyer, with only $5 total worth of items purchased in the last three days, take a look for yourself. He bought a picture of a flower for 99 cents for instance. This has all the characteristics of your typical ebay scam. The scammer spends a few bucks on trash to get 100% feedback, hopes to make some sales to unsuspecting customers, pockets the money. You'll end up having to file a dispute with ebay/paypal, and sure, you'll get your money back in a couple of months but it's more annoying than anything else.

I have been searching for an affordable 01-03 Alpina lip for about a year now, with no luck. If you guys find something, please please please let me know.

Last edited by fullthrottle540; 07-24-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo12 View Post
I think its hardly noticeable and personally would not bother even though its pretty cheap. If you do get it I say go for the Alpina lettering in white because it is hardly noticeable I think that would set it off better.

Also if you are unsure about the Alpina lettering instead of getting it painted you could see if you could get the Aplina lettering as custom decal from one of those shops that do custom wraps. That way if you change your mind about the Alpina lettering you can take it off.

Alternative
I think the OEM style lower valence is better look than the Alpina. It looks really good on darker colored cars like yours. The first one is the facelift version. The last two are the pre-facelift versions. I think standard mounting or molded like the last pic both look good.
All great suggestions, i think i will just go ahead and paint the Alpina lettering white. I have wanted that lower valence ever since I have laid eyes on it. For the post facelift the ebay versions of it are too sharp and cheap looking and there is no oem valence lip sold anywhere in North America. I am not going to pay $400 for one from overseas if i cant guarantee its an OEM item, but i have always liked that oem valence lip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNJE39 View Post
I think that's a pretty cool looking lip. Does that bolt on or do you use really strong double sided tape?
I have a good body guy that will do that for me. I'm guessing it bolts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle540 View Post
I bought a pre-face lift one off ebay, and it fit (prefacelift) perfectly. Unfortunately it was for pre-facelift but the guy advertised that it fit 97-03 which was untrue, so he gave me some of my money back. (He offered all my money back if I were to destroy the lip and send him a picture, and I thought that would be a shame - i'd rather see it get installed on someone elses car). What pisses me off, is the guy STILL advertises his lip as 97-03 even though he knows it doesnt fit 01-03.

This other seller here, has ZERO feedback as a seller, and 6 feedback as a buyer, with only $5 total worth of items purchased in the last three days, take a look for yourself. He bought a picture of a flower for 99 cents for instance. This has all the characteristics of your typical ebay scam. The scammer spends a few bucks on trash to get 100% feedback, hopes to make some sales to unsuspecting customers, pockets the money. You'll end up having to file a dispute with ebay/paypal, and sure, you'll get your money back in a couple of months but it's more annoying than anything else.

I have been searching for an affordable 01-03 Alpina lip for about a year now, with no luck. If you guys find something, please please please let me know.
Is the lip you bought from Poland? Because there is a guy on ebay, who i think is the same guy i bought my lip from, and he is advertising from 97-03 and says it needs modification. Didn't go with that one I went with the other one specific for post facelift. That sucks and I know the pre facelift style is different from the post facelift mounting area. I am worried now that you said the guy has no feedback and might scam me. I mean for $80 i took the risk, I can do a dispute in a week if i dont hear from him.

His communication has been perfect and said Sunday that he was packaging it and it was being prepared for air mail. He said monday he would ship it out and give me a tracking number. What should i do? Should I open a dispute... I really want this item and hope it arrives or I receive reassurance that it ships.

Do you think I got scammed? I mean its only $80 and I know paypal will refund, now im upset as i really want this Alpina lip.

I have been looking for a nice 01-03 lip for a long time as well. How long should I wait to open a dispute or should I wait for now.

I know the guy just made an ebay account and i know the replicas come from Poland, he has been making the pre facelift for a long time from some research I have done. Maybe he is selling a few of these or maybe I got scammed.

He replied to me monday and was replying back very promptly and with proper english. I will wait a few days and if i dont get a response I will open a dispute.

Now you have me worried

Old 07-24-2013, 12:41 PM
DINAN 5

Yes, the 97-00 lip I bought was from Poland. Upon arrival and test fitting, I told the guy, in polish and in english, that the lip does NOT fit 01-03. The bumpers are far too different. He asked me if there is any way I can make it fit, NO WAY. it's not even just the foglights, the bumpers themselves are different sizes. The 01-03 bumper bulges out more than the 97-00. I sold the lip to a 99 owner and it fit perfect - so perfect in fact, that it was difficult to remove after the test fitting.

don't worry. Like i said, if something goes wrong, you WILL get your money back. If everything goes right, then I am buying the same lip.

It's just that i've been scammed on ebay before, and it looked exactly like this... I thought the guy had 100% feedback, turned out he just bought a bunch of worthless junk in the week before I made a purchase.... even gave me a tracking # that didn't work.... let me know how it goes either way, because I want the Alpina lip!!!
Old 07-24-2013, 01:21 PM

Alpina front Lip

Quote:
Yes, the 97-00 lip I bought was from Poland. Upon arrival and test fitting, I told the guy, in polish and in english, that the lip does NOT fit 01-03. The bumpers are far too different. He asked me if there is any way I can make it fit, NO WAY. it's not even just the foglights, the bumpers themselves are different sizes. The 01-03 bumper bulges out more than the 97-00. I sold the lip to a 99 owner and it fit perfect - so perfect in fact, that it was difficult to remove after the test fitting.

don't worry. Like i said, if something goes wrong, you WILL get your money back. If everything goes right, then I am buying the same lip.

It's just that i've been scammed on ebay before, and it looked exactly like this... I thought the guy had 100% feedback, turned out he just bought a bunch of worthless junk in the week before I made a purchase.... even gave me a tracking # that didn't work.... let me know how it goes either way, because I want the Alpina lip!!!
Definitely will let you know. Sounds like I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not worried as its not too much money and Paypal has treated me well thus far. If the seller replies il be ok, if it shows up at my door even better. If not well il open a dispute.

I hope I get the item but yeah we'll see what happens. He was replying promptly and in proper English even after I paid him. You'd think he would just disappear after he got paid Lol, if he is a scammer.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Alpina front Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo12 View Post

Alternative

If I where to do a front lip this is the way to go. Looks badass. That alpina lip nothing but a strip of fiberglass

Old 07-24-2013, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Alpina front Lip

Where can you get that OEM style lower valance?

Old 07-24-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
sorry for the confusion.

Its hard to tell the difference between the alpina lip and no lip (oem for lack of a better term)

I wouldnt want to pay $80 for something that is not noticeable.

Do like the other front bumper splitters though

ColdWeather+Summer+Sport--20/30 Ceramic Tint--Euro Armrest--JL 13tw5-3 Subwoofer--LED AEs
Old 07-24-2013, 05:59 PM
DINAN 5

Quote:
sorry for the confusion.

Its hard to tell the difference between the alpina lip and no lip (oem for lack of a better term)

I wouldnt want to pay $80 for something that is not noticeable.

Do like the other front bumper splitters though
Let me ask you - have you ever seen the Alpina lip on an E39, in person? I only ask because pictures don't do it justice. The Alpina B10 lip is subtle but perfect... blends in with the car. Anything gnarlier will "stand out" too much. The OEM E39 lip looks more like Japanese style in my opinion (which isn't too bad, considering the E39 was sculpted and designed by Joji Nagashima, born and raised in Tokyo), but I still prefer the clean, European touch on the E39. No lip at all, on the other hand, is kind of boring.

Last edited by fullthrottle540; 07-24-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
have you ever seen the Alpina lip on an E39, in person?
Nope, I have not

Old 07-24-2013, 06:27 PM
Ball Don't lie

Mein Auto: 2001 Dinan m5
Buy the alpina lip or go sit on a knife
Resident Grammar and Spelling expert
Old 07-24-2013, 06:29 PM
DINAN 5

PS - the seller that advertises 97-03 alpina lip from Lodz, is definitely reputable. I have their shop address and may visit them next time I go home (my condo in Poland is only an hour drive from their shop). I want to talk to them face-to-face about making a 01-03 lip, obviously my communication with them in both languages over email, WITH PICTURES, wasn't enough for them to correct their ad.

I honestly don't trust this new ebayer. He also put Lodz, PL as his hometown but his screenname is not Polish, more like Lithuanian or Latvian, and his feedback throws up a huge red flag.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:31 PM
DINAN 5

Quote:
Nope, I have not
kudos for being honest. I also thought the lip looked boring in pictures - seeing it driving down the road is a whole 'nother story.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 540iA
I like the Alpina lip, always have. But I don't see a picture of the the replica this guy is selling. Maybe I'm wrong, but all I see is what appears to be the original equipment from an Alpina photo shoot. Yeah, if the knockoff comes out looking indistinguishable from the real thing great, but if looks like a disaster, well, it's a problem. Buyer beware.
BMWCCA#401441
Old 07-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Ball Don't lie

Mein Auto: 2001 Dinan m5
Whats wrong with Lithuania?
Resident Grammar and Spelling expert
Old 07-24-2013, 07:26 PM

I actually purchased "Alpina" lip from this seller. It took me about 2-3 months to receive it and only I received it it wasn't even for my car. haha
Old 07-24-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesnoob View Post
If I where to do a front lip this is the way to go. Looks badass. That alpina lip nothing but a strip of fiberglass

The BMW oem valence is one of my favorite front lips. Unfortunately no one makes it anywhere. The "Alpina" lip when real, is more then just a piece of fibreglass, its plastic, and much nicer haha. But to each their own... I hope it just arrives so i can verify for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesnoob View Post
Where can you get that OEM style lower valance?

No where, unless you want a cheap ebay knock off that looks nasty, or spend big money and get it from Europe. Pretty sure BMW stopped making it all together.

Quote:
Let me ask you - have you ever seen the Alpina lip on an E39, in person? I only ask because pictures don't do it justice. The Alpina B10 lip is subtle but perfect... blends in with the car. Anything gnarlier will "stand out" too much. The OEM E39 lip looks more like Japanese style in my opinion (which isn't too bad, considering the E39 was sculpted and designed by Joji Nagashima, born and raised in Tokyo), but I still prefer the clean, European touch on the E39. No lip at all, on the other hand, is kind of boring.
+1

Quote:
PS - the seller that advertises 97-03 alpina lip from Lodz, is definitely reputable. I have their shop address and may visit them next time I go home (my condo in Poland is only an hour drive from their shop). I want to talk to them face-to-face about making a 01-03 lip, obviously my communication with them in both languages over email, WITH PICTURES, wasn't enough for them to correct their ad.

I honestly don't trust this new ebayer. He also put Lodz, PL as his hometown but his screenname is not Polish, more like Lithuanian or Latvian, and his feedback throws up a huge red flag.
I thought it was the same guy at first, but after looking at it i then realized its someone different . I hope i just get the item as described. I know if all fails I will get my money back from Paypal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms540i View Post
I like the Alpina lip, always have. But I don't see a picture of the the replica this guy is selling. Maybe I'm wrong, but all I see is what appears to be the original equipment from an Alpina photo shoot. Yeah, if the knockoff comes out looking indistinguishable from the real thing great, but if looks like a disaster, well, it's a problem. Buyer beware.
Yeah thats what I am afraid of, but its a chance I have taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hh3uunp View Post
Whats wrong with Lithuania?
I don't care where the lip comes from as long as it comes... and comes as described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavelK313 View Post
I actually purchased "Alpina" lip from this seller. It took me about 2-3 months to receive it and only I received it it wasn't even for my car. haha
I don't get it, what you mean when you received it, it wasn't even for your car? Exact same guy though? I just hope i get the item and its not a scam.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to King 5
Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i
Alpina front Lip

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1374720809.355383.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	388369

Heres a picture I stumbled upon on instagram that just so happened to have Alpina wheels and front lip. Looks very clean, descrete and sexy to me

1997 BMW 528ia 2/97

2004 BMW 330ci 4/03

2008 BMW 335i 3/08