Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F31
Quote:
Nokian Hakkapelita's.

I've run them for the last 8 winters on E93, E90, and F30 models, I swear by them.

BJ
OK. I am with you on the Hakka's for sure.

Can you please post the wheel/tire specs? You must not be running RFT's, correct?
Old 07-23-2013, 03:20 AM
Chuck

Mein Auto: 02 330cic, 13 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by samualcc View Post
I cannot recommend Michelin Ice X tires enough. They are excellent, with wonderful road manners when things are dry. They served me quite well this past winter in PA and my wife has had them on her car for 3 years now, excellent tires.

Mount them on whatever approx $100 rim from tire rack will fit your car. These are a great option:

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...lar=Sport+Line
Question for those of you purchasing the TireRack Winter packages with aftermarket wheels, did you include TPMS or are you not using them. If you included the sensors, any problems syncing with iDrive?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e46, X3
I can't believe you guys are buying an entire set of winter wheels/tires for a leased vehicle, and then selling the wheels after you are done.

That is such an undesirable cost proposition for me, when I use such tires so infrequently (I live in Southeastern Michigan).

I have only purchased sets for vehicles that I own and plan on keeping long term...
Old 07-23-2013, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotman View Post
I can't believe you guys are buying an entire set of winter wheels/tires for a leased vehicle, and then selling the wheels after you are done.

That is such an undesirable cost proposition for me, when I use such tires so infrequently (I live in Southeastern Michigan).

I have only purchased sets for vehicles that I own and plan on keeping long term...
Yea, the more I think about it, I'll likely not. I have my own driveway and with the blizzards we get, I'd rather just not leave if the roads are "that bad".

Plus, definitely don't see the value in shelling out $1200-1500+ for winter tires and wheels for a vehicle that is leased.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:17 AM

Mein Auto: The Batmobile
First of all thanks to boltjaM3s for the pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
No, you can go square - use the size of the front tire/wheel - probably 225/45R18.
Smaller is generally better for snow, but you might notice a bit more oversteer tendancies (less understeer) on dry pavement. Note that the xIce is not a performance tire - the Michelin Pilot Alpine PA3 is and will handle closer to your summer tires. However, they're not as good as a pure snow tire in snow. Bridgestone also has performance Blizzaks and non-performance models.
Thanks for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewes2 View Post
Question for those of you purchasing the TireRack Winter packages with aftermarket wheels, did you include TPMS or are you not using them. If you included the sensors, any problems syncing with iDrive?
I'm also curious about this : is there any way to "bypass" or disble TPMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilF30 View Post
Yea, the more I think about it, I'll likely not. I have my own driveway and with the blizzards we get, I'd rather just not leave if the roads are "that bad".

Plus, definitely don't see the value in shelling out $1200-1500+ for winter tires and wheels for a vehicle that is leased.
All right, not that I feel the need to justify myself, but let me explain why I need winter tires :

1) They are mandatory here in Montreal, which also means that if you ever get into an accident and you don't have winter tires, insurance can refuse to cover your damage.
2) Our winter conditions in Montreal are worse than yours, I'm pretty sure (except for that humongous blizzard you got last february...)
3) My wife will be driving the car
4) My wife drives 85km everyday to and from work (total commute distance), and it's all highway (thank God it's not rural roads), sometimes going through flat, open surfaces (which means windy conditions and blowing snow)
5) My wife can't stay at home in case of a blizzard (she's a medical doctor, the best she can do is arrive late) and she sure can't use public transportation to get to her work.
6) You don't know the advantage of real winter tires until you try them yourself. I was skeptical too.

Thanks to everyone for their input!
Aero.

Last edited by Aeromotive; 07-24-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: AH3, S4 Avant
Has anyone tried the Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II Run Flats? If so, what were your impressions?...they seem to one of the few winter tires offered in a RFT variety.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:39 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeromotive View Post
I'm also curious about this : is there any way to "bypass" or disble TPMS?

6) You don't know the advantage of real winter tires until you try them yourself. I was skeptical too.
No way that anyone has found.

I'm always amazed that people are willing to spend big bucks on the best cars, then cheap out and gamble their lives on poor-performing tires.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
All right, not that I feel the need to justify myself, but let me explain why I need winter tires :

1) They are mandatory here in Montreal, which also means that if you ever get into an accident and you don't have winter tires, insurance can refuse to cover your damage.
2) Our winter conditions in Montreal are worse than yours, I'm pretty sure (except for that humongous blizzard you got last february...)
3) My wife will be driving the car
4) My wife drives 85km everyday to and from work, and it's all highway (thank God it's not rural roads), sometimes going through flat, open surfaces (which means windy conditions and blowing snow)
5) My wife can't stay at home in case of a blizzard (she's a medical doctor, the best she can do is arrive late) and she sure can't use public transportation to get to her work.

Thanks to everyone for their input!
Aero.
Yea, if I were in Montreal I would definitely reconsider! Your winters are on average much worse with more consistent snowfall. We did have that huge ass blizzard, but I mean, no one was permitted on the road for that 24 hour period, so the tires on your car are useless at that point.

Also, 100 miles roundtrip per day! I can easily rely on public transportation if I absolutely must, but it sounds like you definitely are worth of needing the snow tires!

I never knew municipalities required snow tires. That's interesting.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:57 AM

Actually it's 85km total, so around 55mi. And it's a provincial law in Quebec.

Last edited by Aeromotive; 07-24-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:56 AM
Chuck

Aeromotive -

Given the critical nature of the car's mission, i.e., wife driver, MD must get through, considerable snow, etc, I don't see that a ultimate handling performance tire is necessary. Rather, I would select one that has the best snow/ice performance, even if you have to compromise during the Winter months with noise, wear and handling. The Tirerack reviews grades each tire by difference criteria, including ice and snow performance. Chose the best one.

Were I in your shoes, I would select one of the new Winter Michelins - check out the site here: http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...ategory/winter

Chuck
Old 07-24-2013, 03:38 PM

Thanks. I'm actually currently torn between RFT and non-RFT+buying a spare tire/wheel (and the hassle of "mounting" it in the trunk with no dedicated space...). I myself have Blizzak WS70's on my car and they're invincible in our snow conditions. But I'm leaning towards Michelin too because they seem to be the best snow/ice tires, even better than the Blizzaks...
And you're right, I'm not looking for a "performance" tire

Last edited by Aeromotive; 07-24-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Chuck

Aeromotive -

Will be interested to learn which winter tire you finally select and on what wheel will be be using. And also, as I asked before, how you handle the TPMS - none or after market, and if the latter, syncing with the iDrive system.

My wife absolutely loves the BMW 416 wheels which are standard on the Lux model. If we mount snows, I'll probably have to find a used set.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
1) What kind of winter rims is it preferable to put? Replicas? Cheapest brand? Does it really matter other than for the looks? And where to buy them? I was thinking about 1010tires.com (equivalent to TireRack here in Canada).
Buy a nice, quality set of wheels. Why cheapen your nice car with crappy wheels?
Old 07-25-2013, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
As far as the cost proposition:

I can get a GOOD set of performance winter tires and quality sport edition 18" wheels, mounted and balanced, for $1200. I swap them myself.

I can wear out the tires in 3 winters/20,000 miles most likely and sell the wheels for ~$500. So I spent $700 for the expense of performance winter tires at my disposal for 3 years.

Simultaneously I probably only put 25,000 miles on my other set of tires meaning they can probably still pass inspection. If I was a lessee, I might even be able to run 3 years/45,000 total miles without having to put new run-flats or similar on the car.

So I spent $700 total on tires during the life of a 3 year, 45,000 mile lease and I gained the advantage of having two sets of tires and a back-up set of wheels/tires in case of an emergency.

How is this not advantageous again?
Old 07-25-2013, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
Buy a nice, quality set of wheels. Why cheapen your nice car with crappy wheels?
I disagree. Why pay a premium price for wheels that are just going to get beaten up by snow, ice, etc., not to mention the salts and chemicals used to treat winter roads?
Old 08-04-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_335i View Post
If you have the blue brake calipers you need 18 inch wheels. I use 18inch Blizzak LM60. Get blizzak WS70 if you want the best winter traction. use whatever rim you like as long as it fits the tires. I never used winter RFT never got a flat in 5 years. and besides when it snows alot, the snow fills the potholes and stuff so low chance to get flat. but in summer i use RFT
(Bumping this thread as I resumed my research for winter tires/wheels...)

Are you sure 17"s won't clear the (blue) "M Sport brakes"? If that's the case, then it sucks because I had set my mind on a 17" set!
Old 08-04-2013, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: Subaru STi
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

Nokian Hakkapelita's.

I've run them for the last 8 winters on E93, E90, and F30 models, I swear by them.

BJ
I too have had Nokian Hakkapeliitta's for my cars. But I have a mixed experience. On the plus side, I believe Hakkapeliitta's perform very well in the snow and ice, probably better than any other snow tire. In my AWD Subaru's, I never got into any driving problems. They are quiet too.

On the negative side, they crack. I don't know what it is about the formula Nokian is using, but I have seen sidewall cracks in several of my tires, as if the tires were aging prematurely. Some cracking is ok, I guess, but these were serious cracks as the tires were losing air through the cracks.

And the odd thing is that most of the cracking was on the in-board sides of the tires, so it was hard to notice unless the wheel was removed. They all developed cracks in the same place, on the sidewalls about an inch up from the tread. I ended up throwing away an entire set well before the tread was worn down. Maybe I had a bad batch.

Hakkapeliitta's are a little scarce. They all come from a single distributor in Colorado.

I would not get them again unless the composition formula changes.

Acme
Old 08-06-2013, 01:20 AM

Mein Auto: cars & bikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzWorld View Post
Funny, my winter wheel set just arrived last Friday from TireRack (if the TireRack guys are reading - super fast shipping to an overseas location, so thanks!)... I got the Michelin X-ice X3 and a set of $90 rims for a 2014 328i RWD.

For the possible blow out during the winter, I got a Slime 70005 from Amazon (I was a Boy Scout!).
Nice, a way to escape Switzerland's cartel pricing on tires. So, you're ordering in the USA and having the tires and rims shipped to Germany. With customs and freight, still makes sense? And I think Germany to save a buck.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: 335i after May ED
Quote:
Hi all.

I know I'm a bit early on this but I would love the have the information before fall arrives and all tire shops become busy. We just got our 335i Xdrive with M Sport and the 19" wheels (403M), and I have a few questions (keep in mind this is a leased car so the set is probably going to be sold after 3 years, unless it fits the next car) :

1) What kind of winter rims is it preferable to put? Replicas? Cheapest brand? Does it really matter other than for the looks? And where to buy them? I was thinking about 1010tires.com (equivalent to TireRack here in Canada).

2) I'm guessing 18" is standard... is there any need to go 17"?

3) About tires, my wife does a lot of highway and conditions get harsh here sometimes, so I plan on getting her the best, even if it means paying extra $ (was thinking about Blizzak's or X-ice series). No cheap stuff here. Any suggestions?

4) RFT or not? This car doesn't have room for a spare tire. Also getting non-RFT's would mean buying 5 wheels/tires... is it just cheaper to go with RFT (and cross our fingers we don't get a flat tire)? Edit : It seems like they don't make winter RFT?

What did you guys choose for your cars?

Aero.
You will need 18s if you have M sport brakes.

I am getting the 400m...so basically the M sport rims in 18 inch
Old 08-07-2013, 07:41 PM

Yeah thought about those, but they'll probably be the most expensive option. Trying to get opinions on replicas (Replika brand)...
Old 08-14-2013, 01:23 AM

Mein Auto: x6
Why no one is advising to keep same rims (even 19") and just swap your summer tire with winter? I don't see it would cost more then $120 for one change. Please keep in mind if you are getting new set of rims you must by TPMS which even used goes around $150.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: On Order
Quote:
Originally Posted by x6_NJ View Post
Why no one is advising to keep same rims (even 19") and just swap your summer tire with winter? I don't see it would cost more then $120 for one change. Please keep in mind if you are getting new set of rims you must by TPMS which even used goes around $150.
People said its bad for the RFT if you keep switching and its a waste of time. And im sure people could live without the tpms for winter
Old 08-14-2013, 08:12 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by x6_NJ View Post
Not sure if RFT winter tires are easily available for 19" rims - tirerack only shows Pirelli on closeout as the only one available. Your selection is much more limited as you go up in wheel size - a lot more 18" availability, and by the time you get to 17" you can even pick non-speed rated ones.

And that is to nothing about the damage that de-icers and salt cause your wheels.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 12 528xi, 12 x5 35d,11 z4
Winter wheels and tires : which to choose?

Does anyone know what rims and winter tires you might need for base activehybrid 3??

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
2012 x5 35d
2012 528xi

Past rides
2010 BMW 528i
2009 BMW 328xi
2006 Bmw X3
2004 BMW 325i

SOON to be 2013 AH3
Old 09-01-2013, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dima123 View Post
Does anyone know what rims and winter tires you might need for base activehybrid 3??

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Nothing different than a standard 335i. Meaning most 17" wheels will not fit, you will most likely end up with an 18" wheel.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1