Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: Nothing
Adaptive dampers vs M Performance suspension

So I've seen all these threads lately about how DHP is actually not that great and a bunch of professional reviewers even commented on how artificially harsh the sport mode is with DHP. One of them even went as far as quoting a BMW engineer, who told him the ride was made overly harsh on purpose, so you know you paid for the option. It was also said that the harshness doesn't necessarily equate to better handling and that a lot of the older BMW suspensions had better handling while not having this harsh feel.

So all this is making me question my choice of DHP on my ordered '14. I can still make changes at this point so I want to make sure I didn't make a mistake. There is another thread on the forum about if the DHP is worth it but it quickly turned into a ****-fest about unrelated topics.

What I want to know specifically is, should I go with DHP or M Performance suspensions? Is the M Perf option worth the extra cost, and will it be too harsh of a ride or just "right".

Needless to say I have no access to either DHP or M Performance suspensions so I have to rely on forums like this to form an opinion.
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2013, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: BMW F30 AH3 EBII
Really think it depends on your preferences. Reviews for the M Performance Suspension are pretty positive. It is, however, less comfortable than DHP. The DHP, despite being "artificially" harsh on sport mode, still gives you more options. I've heard of people setting the suspension to "Comfort" on Sport mode & "Sport" on Sport+.

My recommendations
Daily Car: DHP
Any track / autocross events: M Performance
Old 07-23-2013, 08:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
DHP - Does anyone know how many adjustable levels are there in the shocks hardware itself if BMW could later re-program the stiff of each setting (comfort, sp, sp+)?
Old 07-23-2013, 09:29 PM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Buttonwillow Raceway, also known as Bumpywillow, is a perfect place to test shocks and I can tell you that in my over ten years of driving that track I do NOT think DHP is overly harsh. Sure, for the street it may be, but I don't reach track speeds/conditions on the street. I find the two settings for DHP more than adequate though yeah, a part of me wishes I could crank it up even stiffer (I had PSS9 coilovers and they were even more harsh).

It would be cool if BMW allowed us to customize the shock rates. Perhaps in a few years someone will offer better aftermarket DHP shocks and tweaking via coding.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:52 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
I agree with SergioK in thinking that DHP in sport mode is not too harsh. The nice thing about DHP is that you can always set it to the softer setting when you're not at the race track or in the twisties.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:30 AM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
In my E60, which I dearly loved and which had the sport suspension, it could be quite embarrassing when driving with friends. The embarrassment would occur while crossing RR tracks, passing over small speed bumps, or driving on brick or heavily patched roads and such. These encounters could be teeth and bone jarring. "Pothole explosions" would be even worse. In the F30 with the DHP, under these same driving conditions I am generally not in Sport or Sport+ mode and I am very glad to have the comfort mode to drive in. Even if I were in Sport mode I doubt it would be as bad as the E60 was in these environments. Now, happy driver and comfortable passengers.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
Old 07-24-2013, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535xi Wagon
I was able to drive a 328 sedan with DHP, back to back with a non-DHP car. In the DHP-equipped car in Sport mode, I was most struck by how neutral the handling felt and by how flat the body stayed around curves. It wasn't a long test drive, and the roads around Doylestown are in pretty good shape, but the ride in Sport mode did not seem unduly harsh to me. I will probably order either a 328 wagon or GT within a few weeks, and will definitely include DHP on whichever car I choose.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
In my E60, which I dearly loved and which had the sport suspension, it could be quite embarrassing when driving with friends. The embarrassment would occur while crossing RR tracks, passing over small speed bumps, or driving on brick or heavily patched roads and such. These encounters could be teeth and bone jarring. "Pothole explosions" would be even worse. In the F30 with the DHP, under these same driving conditions I am generally not in Sport or Sport+ mode and I am very glad to have the comfort mode to drive in. Even if I were in Sport mode I doubt it would be as bad as the E60 was in these environments. Now, happy driver and comfortable passengers.
This is such a good point.

Too often did I drive through Boston with friends and it just felt damaging to the vehicle, let alone embarassing going over train tracks or minor divets (not potholes, these things are unavoidable). Glad DHP helps combat this.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
DHP in sport is not harsh at all.

2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Old 07-24-2013, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfestool View Post
So I've seen all these threads lately about how DHP is actually not that great and a bunch of professional reviewers even commented on how artificially harsh the sport mode is with DHP. One of them even went as far as quoting a BMW engineer, who told him the ride was made overly harsh on purpose, so you know you paid for the option. It was also said that the harshness doesn't necessarily equate to better handling and that a lot of the older BMW suspensions had better handling while not having this harsh feel.

So all this is making me question my choice of DHP on my ordered '14. I can still make changes at this point so I want to make sure I didn't make a mistake. There is another thread on the forum about if the DHP is worth it but it quickly turned into a ****-fest about unrelated topics.

What I want to know specifically is, should I go with DHP or M Performance suspensions? Is the M Perf option worth the extra cost, and will it be too harsh of a ride or just "right".

Needless to say I have no access to either DHP or M Performance suspensions so I have to rely on forums like this to form an opinion.
It's not harsh at all. Plus, I'm not sure why you're concerned about that anyway. You can switch to comfort mode on crappy roads. To be honest, when I got my car, I didn't think I'd ever use comfort mode, but I use it a lot. I use sport mode on nice roads when I can let it rip. I love it. Unfortunately, the roads just aren't that good around here, so I drive in comfort about 50 to 60% of the time. I really like the fact that I can switch back and forth depending upon road conditions.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: Traded M5 for Volt!?!?
Wish BMW would pursue a more sophisticated system like the magnetorheological shocks in the Vette and others. They offer it on their ATS, but only on the top-of-the line model whereas BMW makes there's available on any model.