Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Chris Harris on Cars: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.

Last edited by tim330i; 07-25-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 07-24-2013, 04:09 PM
10k Miles down!

Mein Auto: 435i
?
Old 07-24-2013, 04:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 328i
??
Old 07-24-2013, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: a car
Here it is

2013 328i Sedan | ULEV N20 | M Sport Line | Estoril Blue II | Black Dakota Leather | Premium Package |
Technology Package | Driver Assistance Package | Dynamic Handling Package | Lighting Package |
Harmon Kardon Surround Sound | Sport Automatic Transmission with Shift Paddles | Anti Theft Alarm |
Port install: BMW M Performance Exhaust |
Old 07-24-2013, 04:43 PM
10k Miles down!

Mein Auto: 435i
Great review, seems like he really enjoyed the car once he got passed the 4 series moniker and his feeling of the bland looks..(i dig the look)
Old 07-25-2013, 01:27 AM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Oops. Video Embed didn't work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is
I think that no matter what all the reviewer's say about the car, there is still going to be people on this forum and others talking about what horrible car it is because it is either too big, too heavy, too wide, it doesn't handle like an E46, don't like the electric steering, too ugly, etc. All the reviews are positive and it is quite likely an overall better car than the previous generation. Looks are certainly subjective, and I for one think the E92 is better looking, but I say, put my name on the dealers allocation list.

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
So, if I interpreted this correctly, Chris Harris thinks this is the best and most capable coupe in that segment on the market but with one problem - when you turn it on, it doesn't seem to return the favor. How big is that problem will be left for each potential customer to decide. Let's just say that, after hearing him trash the Miata, I would certainly go and see it for myself if I were in the market for a 4 series.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 07-26-2013, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 / '12 E70d
What Chris Harris has said is kinda the impression I've gotten of the newer BMWs myself, having driven both F10 5er loaners and done a test drive event with an F30. They're still great DRIVING and HANDLING cars, but you just can't FEEL that they're anything special, and that completely changes your perception of the car. I know the loaner 528's I've had are far better driving and handling cars than my parents 2012 Camry, but I just wasn't able to FEEL that it's any better in normal driving. A neighbor who test drove a 528i felt the same way, and ended up buying the new Honda Accord. Even my wife can tell the difference. Even though they're "better" in many ways, the new BMWs just don't appeal to your senses nearly as well as the older ones do. They ARE special cars, but you can't FEEL that they're anything special.

I've gotten back into my E93 after having an F10 loaner for a day or two and man what a difference! The difference in FEEL is night and day, and it feels special to drive. The F10 loaners I've had in particular have not felt any better to drive than my folks' 2012 Camry.

So it comes down to weather you actually care or not. I know the F30 is better in may ways than the E90 having driven both, but it's not better in all ways, and FEEL is a big one there. I really like the feel of the E9x 3ers and older Bimmers. One year left on the E93 here and starting to think about what to do. Tough to justify leasing or buying another new BMW if a big part of what I like and enjoy is MIA on the F30's. 328d M-Sport is appealing, as might be a 320i. 328d you can enjoy supreme handling of the M-Sport and great mileage from the diesel too. The 320i is a good basic car that you're not paying nearly as much of a premium for, so the "missing" Inline-6 and lack of feel isn't as much of an issue. A lot of it is psychological and what each individual is ok with.

more pics here
Old 07-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Chris Harris on Cars: BMW 435i

No Driftin :lol:

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: Graphite & Silver E92/E60
+1.

The new BMW's do everything sort of OK. Except for putting a smile on your face like the old ones did as soon as you got behind the steering wheel.

In other words the new ones are boring. I think that is what Chris Harris is saying a $50K performance GT coupe should put a huge smile on your face that you can't wipe off. Instead you come away thinking its OK. I was expecting more fun like in the previous BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
What Chris Harris has said is kinda the impression I've gotten of the newer BMWs myself, having driven both F10 5er loaners and done a test drive event with an F30. They're still great DRIVING and HANDLING cars, but you just can't FEEL that they're anything special, and that completely changes your perception of the car. I know the loaner 528's I've had are far better driving and handling cars than my parents 2012 Camry, but I just wasn't able to FEEL that it's any better in normal driving. A neighbor who test drove a 528i felt the same way, and ended up buying the new Honda Accord. Even my wife can tell the difference. Even though they're "better" in many ways, the new BMWs just don't appeal to your senses nearly as well as the older ones do. They ARE special cars, but you can't FEEL that they're anything special.

I've gotten back into my E93 after having an F10 loaner for a day or two and man what a difference! The difference in FEEL is night and day, and it feels special to drive. The F10 loaners I've had in particular have not felt any better to drive than my folks' 2012 Camry.

So it comes down to weather you actually care or not. I know the F30 is better in may ways than the E90 having driven both, but it's not better in all ways, and FEEL is a big one there. I really like the feel of the E9x 3ers and older Bimmers. One year left on the E93 here and starting to think about what to do. Tough to justify leasing or buying another new BMW if a big part of what I like and enjoy is MIA on the F30's. 328d M-Sport is appealing, as might be a 320i. 328d you can enjoy supreme handling of the M-Sport and great mileage from the diesel too. The 320i is a good basic car that you're not paying nearly as much of a premium for, so the "missing" Inline-6 and lack of feel isn't as much of an issue. A lot of it is psychological and what each individual is ok with.

Last edited by Kayani_1; 07-27-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
Re: Chris Harris on Cars: BMW 435i

Quote:

I would have to say normal cars have also gotten a lot better.

For driving at commuting speeds it just doesn't matter. I had an Audi before which being an Audi broke down three times. So I got a rental 2011 impala v6 and it was an older design. But for just commuting it felt perfectly fine if anything the v6 in it was smoother than the 2.0t in the Audi. I mean it was numb and the suspension was soft but it you are just driving to work there's not a huge difference

Having driven several e90s and a few other older BMW's I don't think the f30 feels any less special at say 7/10th or even 9;10th. It feels an awful lot better than my previous Audi near the limits. I've driven e46s and even used to drive my roommates old 1990 5 series 10 years ago. And if anything to me that 5 series was a boat but at the time the e46 felt special. That said normal cars were not as good 10 years ago so the e46 stood out.

I don't know I owned several similar level cars to my f30 recently and the f30 does seem special when you aren't just commuting. Or maybe my Audi and tsx were just not special
Old 07-27-2013, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series
I've driven a lot of cars, but my E46 and my current F30 are the only cars I have ever looked back to admire every time I've parked them. BMWs are special, at least to me.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335ixDrive Coupe 6MT
Quote:

I agree with pretty much everything you say. I am in a similar situation having to replace my wife's 2004 325 next year. We are really on the fence between a BMW 328 or a M-B C300. I am also considering waiting longer and seeing what the 2 series looks like. If I had to buy something now there are just not of exciting choices.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:13 AM

I disagree with you on few things.

The E46 even now feels special against the F30 or E9x. Also, I am not so sure if your room mates 5 series was flawed example or what. Because, an E39 5 series never felt anything like a boat. It was far from it and was universally praised for its great driving dynamics. In size it was almost the same as F30. I would consider it more raw then E9x generation 3 series.

Please, go drive a good condition E39 or E46 side by side with F30 and you would walk away seeing what is disappointing about F30 when it comes to driving dynamics. The E46 or E39 might not have the gizmos or tech but they are extremely satisfying fun cars to drive.

Yes, and you are right being behind the wheels of FWD TSX or Audi A4 (FWD/AWD) will make you love F30 cause it is far superior to those two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
Having driven several e90s and a few other older BMW's I don't think the f30 feels any less special at say 7/10th or even 9;10th. It feels an awful lot better than my previous Audi near the limits. I've driven e46s and even used to drive my roommates old 1990 5 series 10 years ago. And if anything to me that 5 series was a boat but at the time the e46 felt special. That said normal cars were not as good 10 years ago so the e46 stood out.

I don't know I owned several similar level cars to my f30 recently and the f30 does seem special when you aren't just commuting. Or maybe my Audi and tsx were just not special
Old 07-29-2013, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
1990 5 series=E34, not E39 which was around '95

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 07-29-2013, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkat09 View Post
If I had to buy something now there are just not of exciting choices.
I'm not so sure about that. Less than $40 k will get you a lot of fun/exciting stuff to drive. I'm also waiting for a 2 series before I decide what to get to replace the car in the signature picture. This is the second time I do wait for BMW before getting a car. First one ended with non-BMW added to my household. Hopefully they will not screw up the 2 series and send me elsewhere for the second time.

You can consider:

NEW

- BRZ
- FR-S
- MX5 (Miata)
- Mustang GT w/track pack

USED

- way too many to list. Let's just say that 987 Cayman should top the list.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 07-30-2013, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 / '12 E70d
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
I would have to say normal cars have also gotten a lot better.

For driving at commuting speeds it just doesn't matter. I had an Audi before which being an Audi broke down three times. So I got a rental 2011 impala v6 and it was an older design. But for just commuting it felt perfectly fine if anything the v6 in it was smoother than the 2.0t in the Audi. I mean it was numb and the suspension was soft but it you are just driving to work there's not a huge difference

Either you connect with a car or you don't. If you're able to connect with the F30 and don't think it's any "less good" than previous ones then that's great. I just haven't been able to connect with any of the newer BMWs, and I find that depressing. I had actually set out intending to buy a 2011 F10 528i with the last of the breed 3.0L NA Inline-6. Loved the engine and the way it felt to drive and how it sounded, but just couldn't connect with the rest of the car. The feel wasn't there. Test drove a 535i and the same thing. Drove the E93 and was in love. The feel was there, the sound, everything. As I've said, having had an F10 for a loaner a few times, driving that for a day or so and then getting my E93 back is a world of difference for me, yes even just driving around town.

Still kicking myself for not buying that 2007 E60 530i I was going to back in the day. The only reason that didn't happen is because our timing slipped into 2008 and then was forced to choose between a de-tuned NA Inline-6 which I couldn't stomach, or a completely new and unproven N54 which turned out to have a ton of issues. That killed the deal.

I had been on the fence about 50/50 about whether or not to keep our E93 335i and either get another BMW or something else completely different. After all the fun my wife and I had cruising around in it over the weekend and reading these reviews of the new models, I think I'm probably at about 75% keep and flip to a CPO now and trending more strongly on that. It really is the last of a breed apparently, and it makes both of us feel special driving it. An extremely tough sell on these newer ones which are even more expensive and don't feel as good to drive.

more pics here

Last edited by SteVTEC; 07-30-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:17 PM

+1

I came away disappointed with F10 examples one being 550i the other 535i. Once I got back into my E60 545i. It was immediately apparent that F10 had moved up in size and feel. They actually were closer to my E65 745i in overall feel and size.

In all honesty I would rank them in terms of driving excitement E60 545i > E65 745i > F10 550i > F10 535i.

The F10 550i has the E60 545i beat in refinement, interior room, power and tranny. But the rest of the package is quiet boring to drive.

Quote:
Either you connect with a car or you don't. If you're able to connect with the F30 and don't think it's any "less good" than previous ones then that's great. I just haven't been able to connect with any of the newer BMWs, and I find that depressing. I had actually set out intending to buy a 2011 F10 528i with the last of the breed 3.0L NA Inline-6. Loved the engine and the way it felt to drive and how it sounded, but just couldn't connect with the rest of the car. The feel wasn't there. Test drove a 535i and the same thing. Drove the E93 and was in love. The feel was there, the sound, everything. As I've said, having had an F10 for a loaner a few times, driving that for a day or so and then getting my E93 back is a world of difference for me, yes even just driving around town.

Still kicking myself for not buying that 2007 E60 530i I was going to back in the day. The only reason that didn't happen is because our timing slipped into 2008 and then was forced to choose between a de-tuned NA Inline-6 which I couldn't stomach, or a completely new and unproven N54 which turned out to have a ton of issues. That killed the deal.

I had been on the fence about 50/50 about whether or not to keep our E93 335i and either get another BMW or something else completely different. After all the fun my wife and I had cruising around in it over the weekend and reading these reviews of the new models, I think I'm probably at about 75% keep and flip to a CPO now and trending more strongly on that. It really is the last of a breed apparently, and it makes both of us feel special driving it. An extremely tough sell on these newer ones which are even more expensive and don't feel as good to drive.