Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
"Preventing an engine stop using the brake pedal" -- Can you do it?

From F30 manual's section "Preventing an automatic engine stop with automatic transmission":

Preventing an engine stop using the brake pedal

The engine stop can be actively prevented within one second after the vehicle comes to a standstill.
* Immediately after the vehicle comes to a standstill, briefly press the brake pedal forcefully.
* Then press the brake pedal with normal braking force

I tried it. But 90% of times I failed.

Do you have the same issue? Or master the "trick" without any problem?

Last edited by valley_nomad; 07-24-2013 at 03:33 AM.
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2013, 04:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Works every time for me. After pressing forcibly release just enough force to prevent the car creeping forward.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-24-2013, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: The Batmobile
Thanks for this. I didn't have the time to thoroughly read the manual, but I'm happy to hear it can be done. It looks like it has to be "mastered", though.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:18 AM

2 or 3 goes to get it to work every time. You can also add steering angle which will also prevent an engine stop.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Sport Line
Ahhh, fellas..... just get the ASS reprogrammed. Nothing to remember. Works 100% of the time. Just sayin'...
Old 07-24-2013, 09:40 AM

You don't pay GBP 1.45 per litre!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Chuck

Mein Auto: 02 330cic, 13 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedbmw View Post
Ahhh, fellas..... just get the ASS reprogrammed. Nothing to remember. Works 100% of the time. Just sayin'...
Yep, what he said.

When I was using ASS, I would just let the engine turn off, and then immediately let up on the brake, just slightly, and the car would restart and stay running. I never tried to catch it before it turn off, usually because I simply forgot ASS was active.

Also, simply pressing the ASS defeat button while stopped and the engine off will immediately restart the car.

Now that we had the dealer ASS recode freebee, I no longer think about it.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:23 PM
10k Miles down!

Mein Auto: 435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratters123 View Post
You don't pay GBP 1.45 per litre!!!!!!!!!

U.S.A. U.S.A. U.S.A., jk, I never understood why Europeans stood for such high gasoline prices. You guys are sitting there so close to all of that north sea brent crude. The Government just takes it out of your ass for no better reason than because they can. Oh well, CA is taking us in the same direction.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by valley_nomad View Post
From F30 manual's section "Preventing an automatic engine stop with automatic transmission":

Preventing an engine stop using the brake pedal

The engine stop can be actively prevented within one second after the vehicle comes to a standstill.
* Immediately after the vehicle comes to a standstill, briefly press the brake pedal forcefully.
* Then press the brake pedal with normal braking force

I tried it. But 90% of times I failed.

Do you have the same issue? Or master the "trick" without any problem?
I mastered it by getting it reprogrammed to remember last setting. POS ASS is a waste of money and should be an option. Rather have the Xenons as standard than that ASS!!
Old 07-24-2013, 12:51 PM
10k Miles down!

Does "last user mode" mean that the default setting is now off AND that if I want to turn it on for a drive, I can just click the button to activate it. However, when I turn the car off and get back in the next time, it is automatically off until I press that button?
Old 07-24-2013, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 Sportline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwm1166 View Post
Does "last user mode" mean that the default setting is now off AND that if I want to turn it on for a drive, I can just click the button to activate it. However, when I turn the car off and get back in the next time, it is automatically off until I press that button?
Last user mode means that the Auto start stop setting will " remember " the last state it was in when the car was turned off. So, if you turn the feature off by pushing the button, and turn the car off, the feature will remain in the OFF position the next time you start your car.

Ditto for the "ON" position. If the feature is ON, when you turn the car off, and back on, the feature will remain ON (meaning the light is OFF).

What people normally do, is get it coded to last state, turn it off, then forget about it since it will stay off (instead of resetting itself each time you turn off your car). The only "gotcha" with this is, turning on ECO PRO mode automatically turns the auto start stop feature ON. So, if you have last state coded, and use eco pro mode, the next time you start your car the auto start feature will be ON, unless you remembered to turn it off after using eco pro.

You can also get it coded to DEFAULT to the "off" state, which means that no matter what mode it was in, it will return to the OFF state the next time you start your car. Not sure if the dealer will default it to the off state, but a third party coder can do so. I can verify that it works, as I have coded my car, a co workers car, and a forum members car to default to the off state.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i xdrive
Quote:
no.
it remembers how you set it the last time you drove the car.

So if you turn it off today, and tomorrow go for a drive it will still be turned off.
And, although less likely, if you turn it on today, and tomorrow go for a drive it will still be turned on.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:04 PM
10k Miles down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Last user mode means that the Auto start stop setting will " remember " the last state it was in when the car was turned off. So, if you turn the feature off by pushing the button, and turn the car off, the feature will remain in the OFF position the next time you start your car.

Ditto for the "ON" position. If the feature is ON, when you turn the car off, and back on, the feature will remain ON (meaning the light is OFF).

What people normally do, is get it coded to last state, turn it off, then forget about it since it will stay off (instead of resetting itself each time you turn off your car). The only "gotcha" with this is, turning on ECO PRO mode automatically turns the auto start stop feature ON. So, if you have last state coded, and use eco pro mode, the next time you start your car the auto start feature will be ON, unless you remembered to turn it off after using eco pro.

You can also get it coded to DEFAULT to the "off" state, which means that no matter what mode it was in, it will return to the OFF state the next time you start your car. Not sure if the dealer will default it to the off state, but a third party coder can do so. I can verify that it works, as I have coded my car, a co workers car, and a forum members car to default to the off state.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification. It makes sense that it functions like it sounds. However, things are not always what they seem, and for my money, this is the way it should have originally been coded. And my CA added some confusion because he seemed to believe the only option was to take it in and have the functionality totally turned off forever.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 Sportline
Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the clarification. It makes sense that it functions like it sounds. However, things are not always what they seem, and for my money, this is the way it should have originally been coded. And my CA added some confusion because he seemed to believe the only option was to take it in and have the functionality totally turned off forever.
Yeah, before I got myself setup to code my car myself, my CA / SA made it sound like "off" was forever off. It actually MAY be "forever off" if the dealer does it, as the way a dealer does it, and the way a third party coder does it are different. This is off topic for this thread however.

If you want more detail on the differences, you can PM me and I will explain. You are also a pretty long haul from me here in San Diego, but if you wanted to get it coded to "default off" for free, I would be willing to do that for you if you came down here to SD to me. PM me if interested and we can set it up
Old 07-24-2013, 02:22 PM

For people who like to use ASS and also want to avoid very short (e.g. <10 sec.) stop/restart cycle which makes no sense or even does more harm to the car and environment, the "trick" of using brake to briefly disable ASS on the fly is actually quite useful. But it seems that in many cases the "trick" can not be used reliably. Maybe they should put a dedicated button on the steering wheel ;-)

As for the re-coding, it looks like that some CAs do not know that possibility (or service) yet. When I asked my CA about the feature of remembering last ASS setting, he just simply told me that it is only available for 2014 models without mentioning the re-coding.

The re-coding can be performed by anyone who has the ENET cable and necessary software. However, any "unofficially" added feature will disappear if the car receives software update during the service in the future.

Last edited by valley_nomad; 07-24-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
I found that if I come to a stop and then immediately release the brake to creep forward just an inch or two then the ASS function is defeated and does not shut down the engine for the duration of that stop.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valley_nomad View Post
For people who like to use ASS and also want to avoid very short (e.g. <10 sec.) stop/restart cycle which makes no sense or even does more harm to the car and environment, the "trick" of using brake to briefly disable ASS on the fly is actually quite useful. But it seems that in many cases the "trick" can not be used reliably. Maybe they should put a dedicated button on the steering wheel ;-)

As for the re-coding, it looks like that some CAs do not know that possibility (or service) yet. When I asked my CA about the feature of remembering last ASS setting, he just simply told me that it is only available for 2014 models without mentioning the re-coding.

The re-coding can be performed by anyone who has the ENET cable and necessary software. However, any "unofficially" added feature will disappear if the car receives software update during the service in the future.

Thats why you have a copy of the bulletin from BMW ready to show them... Most will act ignorant about it because they dont want to spend the time doing it when they can get more money doing something else. Someone posted a link to the bulletin and sure you can find it with a search.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:42 PM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
Most will act ignorant about it because they dont want to spend the time doing it when they can get more money doing something else.
The dealer gets paid its normal rate by BMW for recoding ASS. It is a BMW approved procedure.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:14 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328xiT
Does anyone know for sure if BMW is still paying dealers to do this?

Last edited by Fredric; 07-24-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredric View Post
Does anyone know for sure if BMW is still paying dealers to do this?
Mine told me they do it as a courtesy and don't get paid for it. Not saying it is fact, just what I was told by the CA. Perhaps he was trying to act like he was doing me a favor. For me, it is hard to believe so many people write on here that their dealers deny knowing how to do it, can't do it, make up excuses to not do it such as they can't because they have to make the customer owns the car for a certain amount of time or deny they are allowed to do it when there was a bulletin by BMW to all service personnel stating they can if they got paid their normal labor fee. Especially for something so simple to do. Easy money if they get paid. Also some dealers say you can only get it done when you have other service too which was another excuse others have stated. So if they get their full reimbursement for the work then why would it bother them if you use their time?

Last edited by Dippydo; 07-25-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:31 PM

This may have something to do with the fact that BMW 3-series' ASS has a somewhat bad reputation with its excessive jerk and jolt. The more its customers turn off the feature, the worse it looks. So maybe they just want to discourage such intent

Last edited by valley_nomad; 07-25-2013 at 04:35 PM.