Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 e30 325i
A Perfect Valve Adjustment?

Hello everyone... I've been trying to adjust my valves perfectly on my 1990 e30 325i for a whole now and have not been able to get it right.
Is there anyone that knows any good tricks on how to get the valves to be nice and quiet?
What happens if they are too tight?
What happens if they are too loose?
What happens when I get it just right?...
Thank you!
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2013, 09:10 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
20w50 oil. its the only way to get those to quiet down. even with a "perfect" adjustment, they still make noise.

if the valves are too loose, the valve doesnt open enough causing loss of power and are noisier causing the top of the valve to mushroom more

if the valves are too tight, it wears the top of the valve quicker causing you to adjust the valves more often and can potentially open the valve alil bit causing extreme loss of power or worst case, valve to piston contact.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: 1990 e30 325i
Just did another adjustment again today. I think I've had some pretty good luck on this one, allthough the idle is a little instead. But the valve train is pretty much un-bearable from inside the car, which is what I wanted.
But since my idle kind of sputters, does that mean that they are too tight?
Old 07-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Bavarian Autosport

Mein Auto: 1989 325is
We sell a spring loaded tool for holding the eccentric when you adjust the valves on these cars. The part number is 113070 and they are $24.95 currently. When the spring is bent it puts the proper tension on the feeler gauge. You can do it with an old coat hanger but the tool makes it a lot quicker and error-free especially if you haven't done it a bunch of times. And yes if the idle is a bit choppy after an adjustment you probably got one or two tighter than they should be. Or you have a performance cam like my M20 and in that case it will likely never idle smooth. Also on cars where valve adjustments weren't always done when they should have been the eccentrics themselves get beat up making proper adjustments difficult.

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter