Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 07-28-2013, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMWM3
E36 Is it the Climate control Unit or something else

Recently my 1995 M3 started blowing heat on the drivers side and AC on the passenger side from only the defroster and floor settings. Everything is normal from the middle vents so I don't expect that it's an AC issue. When I use just heat all seems fine too. I suspect it's the climate control unit but I thought I would try to get some input from an expert on the Forum.

I think the problem started around the same time I changed the cabin micro filter but not sure.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Todd
Ads by Google
Old 07-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 323 convertible
Hiya, if you've got dual zone clmate control and both sides are set to the same low temperature but 1 side blows hot I think it's a sign the heater valve in the engine compartment is faulty. It's up against the bulkhead/firewall.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...26&hg=64&fg=18

Cheers J.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:34 PM

Hello Jbomz3,

The heat works fine though. Both left and right are normal. Do you still think its a heat valve?

Thank you
Old 07-28-2013, 07:29 PM

Yes, if you set your climate control inside your car to the lowest temperature on both sides but 1 side is cool and the other side is hot the side that isn't cooling isn't shutting off.
If the climate control is set to the highest highest temperature and 1 side gets hot and the other side stays cool then the valve on the cool side is stuck shut.
The valve has coils of copper wire inside and on my drivers side the copper wire had broken so wasn't shutting the water off no matter what my climate control was set to my drivers side got hot as the engine warmed up, but the passenger side was working as it should.
Cheers J.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:25 AM

You have convinced me. I found the heater valves. How in the world do I service them. They look very hard to get to with a wrench? Thank you so much for the help.

Todd
Old 07-29-2013, 10:23 AM

Hope this helps.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...e-Cleaning.htm
Cheers J.