Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 07-28-2013, 01:30 AM

Mein Auto: 318i
318i starting trouble

I've had a problem with my 97 318i (auto) for the past month. One night it wouldn't start, so I called road side assistance and they got it started using some starter fluid.

I made it home and had my mechanic have a look at it and he couldn't find the problem.

Same thing happened a week later, this time I got it towed home. My mechanic replaced the fuel pump and it started working again.

A little over a week later it wouldn't start again, I popped the hood and wiggled a few fuses/relays, turned the key from off-acc a few times and pumped the accelerator while I tried to start it. After dying a few times (turning on then shutting off) I let it crank with the accelerator all the way down and then it fire up and started.

I know it is related to the fuel > engine. From looking around online I think it could be maybe the crankshaft position sensor, but to be honest I have no idea.

At the moment the car will start. I would like to have it fixed before I get stuck far from home again.

Any advice for a car noob?
Ads by Google
Old 07-28-2013, 04:42 AM

No experience at all
Old 07-28-2013, 05:02 PM

Thanks for taking the time to help
Old 07-28-2013, 06:34 PM

I'm looking at taking it to a shop at the moment
Old 08-01-2013, 12:02 AM

Found someone in my area that only services BMWs, car is there now. Just hoping the problem happens when its there so they can figure out what is causing it
Old 08-05-2013, 05:37 AM

No check engine light on.

Got the car back today, they checked for faults and they found EWS faults. It seems when I had a spare key cut (not by BMW), in the process of programming the key, something has gone wrong/come loose so that every now and again the car won't start.

I'm happy because the guy didn't charge me anything although he had the car at his shop for 3 days. I guess now I'll either have a look at trying to find the cause of the problem or a way to bypass the EWS.

Thanks for the help Jon
Old 08-05-2013, 05:57 AM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 328i, M3, 325is M-Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob9 View Post
No check engine light on.

Got the car back today, they checked for faults and they found EWS faults. It seems when I had a spare key cut (not by BMW), in the process of programming the key, something has gone wrong/come loose so that every now and again the car won't start.

I'm happy because the guy didn't charge me anything although he had the car at his shop for 3 days. I guess now I'll either have a look at trying to find the cause of the problem or a way to bypass the EWS.

Thanks for the help Jon
Call up Turner Motorsports. Get the color and last three big digits on your DME (405, 413, etc) and ask them for a chip with the EWS delete. It will cost you $299.95 with free shipping.
Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 1994 Alpine Weiss 325is M-Tech (converted to a true M3 prototype) - 1998 Hellrot 328i // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
My 325is M-Tech Restoration Thread
Old 08-05-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnaz View Post
Call up Turner Motorsports. Get the color and last three big digits on your DME (405, 413, etc) and ask them for a chip with the EWS delete. It will cost you $299.95 with free shipping.
Thanks I'll look into that

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCJon View Post
If you have the original key still, just go to BMW and have'em cut the spare. It'll cost about $75-$100 but it's better than a tow. No problem on the help! Glad he didn't charge you either. I'd remember him (mechanic) for anything you need in the future since he passed on the chance to shaft you this time.
I wish. Most places here tried to charge me upwards of $600 for a key with unlock/locking ability and around $400 for a normal key! Thats the reason I got someone else to cut one
Old 09-03-2013, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 318i Cabriolet
I'm in a no start situation here too. I took the seats and carpet out to replace rusty floors, then replaced the starter on my 318 automatic tranny. The car started before replacing the starter. I had to take out the intake manifold and all of the connectors for several sensors. I was careful and methodic and managed to replace the starter and re-connect everything. The connectors for the sensors only reach the right connector and the wires had their bends pointing out where they go. The two camfhaft position sensor wires are not the same lenght, so it was easy to see that the longer wire goes to the connector further up in the plastic connector block that goes in the middle of the intake manifold. I'm pretty sure I got all of the connections right. The fuel system was de-pressurized as the fuel rack had to come out. Now the car will not start, it will crank until the cows come home and there is spark on the wires (I also installed new spark plugs), but although it fires sporadically, it will not start. I have some mechanical experience, but never worked on a BMW before, so I'm in a lot of misery I wander if I misconnected the two camshaft position sensors. Would someone give me some pointers?