Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 07-29-2013, 07:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: what ever starts
REMOVED VANOS no special tools

If you need to remove your vanos and do not have access to the special tool needed to do this you can do what I did. Unbolt everything as needed. Tap the vanos a few times with a rubber mallet or a piece of wood to wake it up. On mine you could see it start to separate from the head. The BMW tool rotates the exhaust gear not the cam. The chain turns the vanos gear clockwise (backwards). So what need to do is move the chain in a clockwise direction. I did not want to scratch the chain or damage any of the gears so I needed to come up with a way to do it without the needed tools. I took a piece of covered wire. It was from a busted trailer brake away system. I looped it through a link in the chain, wrapped the bitter end around a piece of wood overlapping the cable so it will bind on itself when you pull on it. A little tug on the cable/wire and a tap with the mallet and the vanos was off in my hands in a second.

Works on exactly the same principle.
Ads by Google
Old 07-30-2013, 08:53 PM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 328i, M3, 325is M-Tech
Cool trick bro!
Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 1994 Alpine Weiss 325is M-Tech (converted to a true M3 prototype) - 1998 Hellrot 328i // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
My 325is M-Tech Restoration Thread
Old 07-30-2013, 09:44 PM

Mein Auto: 330 rag 328i
looks like a good way to do this. I had a problem getting the cam travel correct resulting in a p1519 code. I had to go back in and re- time the cams. What I learned was this: Take the exaust cam bolts out when you rotate the cams clockwise as this will fully rotate the intake cam. When the vanos pulls in the gears must all move at the same time. Watch this Utube vid and pay attention @ 19:26 when the cam gear moves and the vanos does not. This is a very key bit of information and will screw you up.

Good luck
Old 07-31-2013, 05:44 AM

I agree. I was watching the same video and had to go back and forth a few times. The key is the gear moves but the cam does not. You can't see it in my shots but the e torx on the exhaust cam are out. Bottom line is if you have access to the tools that is a big help but you do not need them in order to remove the vanos. I was parting out this engine so it was never going back together. I needed a way to get the unit off and the special tool moves just the chain which in the end is all I did. I would add that the chain only moves about a link in order to pop the vanos.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:50 AM

The point at which you reference is because he did not have the vanos lined up properly. He does a great job of explaining that. I think he makes a note to make sure they seat together.