Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 05-22-2013, 12:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 02 540/74 911/01 Z3(hers)
front right wheel locking up, car fails to stop!

I am reposting this here as I don't expect many people to read the z3 site and it is pretty much the same car. Please help!

Ok guys so I need a little help with this one. The car is an 02 z3. 2.5L/5 speed. Recently had to put all new rotors/pads on it as the ones that were on it at the time of purchase were worn. Ok so new pads and rotors are installed and bled/bedded in properly. The front right caliper locks up. Fine, replaced the front right caliper as well as the brake lines. I need to check as I am not sure if we replaced the front calipers/pads again due to this issue or not. The car drove fine for about 3000 miles or so. Again, the front right wheel is locking up. This time the ABS/Traction light will come on. When the light comes on the car seems to stop and drive as normal. When it starts to flash the pedal does nothing to stop the car. Recently replaced one of the two sensors under the drivers seat due to error codes stored by the OBDII. We did have an issue with a failed seal on the window that caused water to sit in the car. All of the interior has been removed dried and all of the leaks fixed. I am assuming we may need to remove the sensors and replace both of them this time? They are sealed units and they didn't appear to have any damage but they were wet due to water pooling under the seat. Would these sensors cause the car to have these symptoms. I am half tempted to just try to find a way to remove the damn ABS/Traction from the car entirely. Whatever is happening is making the car VERY unsafe to drive. If the car is turned off and restarted it seems to drive as desired and we can get several miles before the problem comes back. Suggestions from anyone out there are greatly appreciated. I know my indy is going to go crazy with me as every time I drop it off the car drives well.
Ads by Google
Old 05-22-2013, 12:26 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Wait for someone else to confirm, but sounds like you need a new master cylinder. That or you have a kink in a brake line.

Ed

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 05-22-2013, 01:12 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: A redhead E90
try to compress the brake calipers, if one is sticking or frozen, you'll know right away. also check for kinked lines. the master cylinder is bleedable so i would try that before going buck wild and replacing it. usually a fault in the ABS will cause the exact opposite of the wheel locking up, as it actually disables the whole system when a fault is detected. That being said, i would check the tone rings for cracks or missing teeth if you've already replaced the sensors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
Drop the clutch, proceed and ain't care.
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 05-22-2013, 03:26 PM

The lines are oem new within a few thousand miles. The weird thing is after washing the car the rotor rusted as normal...after several miles it didn't clean off as normal. After the failure it was shiny again. I haven't been in the car when it takes place. It seems to only happen after a long drive of at least 30 miles. I am going to have my Indy daily drive it till it does it for him. I will be sure to post what it was once it is solved.

Last edited by abanjableu; 05-22-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:07 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Sounds like an ASC issue to me. The ASC computer monitors all 4 wheels and applies braking to try to keep them all rotating at the same speed (with some allowance to allow for turning, etc.). I could see where a faulty wheel speed sensor could be giving a bad indication to the controller and it's reacting by clamping down hard on the right front to try to bring the car back under control. I'd be tempted to check the sensor for the left front first. If the ASC controller thinks the left front wheel is spinning too slow, which would be indicative of losing control of the car with the rear sliding out to the right, it's going to react by applying right front brake really hard to try and make a pivot point to bring the car back on a straight line.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
yeah, the wheel lock and not stopping are the exact opposite of what happens when this occurs.

if the rf wheel were to lock up, the vehicle would pull hard to that side while stopping, not fail to stop.

i'd look at the wheel speed sensor wiring, and check for system codes. this will at least give you a heads up as to what the abs module is seeing. they're blind and can only see what is told to them by the wheel speed sensors. sounds like you may have a faulty one.

df
Old 05-22-2013, 10:11 PM

Wheel speed sensors are cheap at this point...will give that a shot.Thank you. I just hope it isn't the abs unit.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
yeah, the wheel lock and not stopping are the exact opposite of what happens when this occurs.

if the rf wheel were to lock up, the vehicle would pull hard to that side while stopping, not fail to stop.

i'd look at the wheel speed sensor wiring, and check for system codes. this will at least give you a heads up as to what the abs module is seeing. they're blind and can only see what is told to them by the wheel speed sensors. sounds like you may have a faulty one.

df
I think the key here is that they're separate symptoms that happen independently. Sometimes the right front wheel locks up, sometimes there's no brakes, but not both together. The ABS/ASC light flashing when he has the no brakes condition says to me that ABS or ASC is trying to take control but obviously not doing it correctly.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:58 AM

Another strange tidbit. She just told me when she tried to put the 4 ways on they were flashing super fast. I hate electrical issues. This only happened when the malfunction was going on, they returned to normal when the car was restarted.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:58 PM

quick update

It seems that it may be a failure related to the rotational rate sensor. With a diagnostic computer the FR wheel is around 23. This number may creep as the trip gets longer?
Old 05-26-2013, 07:17 PM

Rotational rate sensor = wheel speed sensor Have you tried replacing any of them yet?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:54 AM

Just texted my Indy and requested he move the sensor to another wheel and see if the issue follows.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
that's a great way to have to purchase 2 wheel speed sensors....if one breaks, i mean...

why not check the signal??

df
Old 07-29-2013, 06:54 PM

Replaced the rotation rate module with a 200 junk yard part. Had it recoded and no issues since. The old one had water damage and was heavily corroded.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:07 PM

Replaced the rotation rate module with a 200 junk yard part. Had it recoded and no issues since. The old one had water damage and was heavily corroded.