Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 07-30-2013, 02:24 AM

Mein Auto: E36 325i
I think I blew my engine.

Hey everyone,

I've been on this forum for a while but I've been a ghost who just reads a lot and doesn't really post anything. So I decided it's time to make an account now as I need your guys' help! I just bought my e36 about a month ago, and have driven it about a total of 50 miles. I am huge into modifying cars like many of you are, so I immediately started to drop money into it. My latest mod (just put it in about 5 hours ago) was the Dinan chip mixed with a K&N intake system. Oh my god was it beautiful. It completely changed the way the car drove and sounded. The added power was amazing and I felt it immediately. Anyways, I was driving "spiritedly" and I miss shifted from 2nd to 3rd and it never engaged so I ended up revving it to an estimated 8500rpm (I was already at 7k thanks to dinan lol). Anyways, I lost power right after that happened so I put it in neutral and pulled over to the side of the road where it proceeded to die. I tried starting it to see if maybe I just stalled it but no it's dead. It made a really loud ticking sound when i was pulling in before it died though. The engine now will turn over for about 3 seconds then proceed to die.

I think I just blew the motor guys but I've read that this is called moneyshifting or something, and that its just bent valves?

What do you guys think? If it is blown is it even worth fixing?

Oh, and if it matters the car is a 1992 and is running a 1995 swap with a 413 red label ecu!

Thanks in advance everyone!
Ads by Google
Old 07-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Yeah, you grenaded the engine. It will be far less expensive for you to replace the engine as whole, rather than replacing individual valves and pistons, etc. This is why replacing engine and transmission mounts is important. The driveline moves under load, and what is 3rd gear when putzing around slowly might be 1st gear when you're hammering it due to how much the engine & trans have rotated under heavy load with failed/failing mounts.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 07-30-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:09 AM
WYKDBMR

Mein Auto: BMW E39 6 Speed
Ouchhh! Sounds like engine may be toast. You can probably try draining your oil to see if you have chunks of metal or shavings. Otherwise you can pop open the top of the engine and see what you have going on. This is the reason why I drive my baby like a granny most of the time lol. I do open her up on occasions when some idiot is revving next to me in his civic and thinks he is tough with his 100 hp spoiler on his trunk lol. Other than that smooth shifting is where its at. Hope this incident you experienced teaches you a lesson.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:10 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
Nice , and welcome to the world of mod's

So what's up with that computer u got now ? U trying to sell that ?
Old 07-30-2013, 02:12 PM

Never mind the engine is still alive! I believe its just the valves. Because checked it out today in the day time light and my oil level is still good and the block is still in perfect condition! What do u guys think?
Old 07-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 93 Dinan S3, 325is base
Pull the head to be sure, if you haven't run it i doubt the oil has had much time to leak, just flow back down to the pan.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:24 PM

Ya I drove it home from nearby and it runs but has loud ticking noise. And the oil level was still good when I got home. I'll pull the head off and see for sure what's going on in there.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:38 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
sounds like a lot of work to do on a 'hunch', or interwebz diagnosis...

do a compression check first. if the valves are damaged, you will see lower readings.

the tick could be from a lifter....and may go away. i would suggest some seafoam or cd-2 if the compression readings are ok.

df
Old 07-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Could also remove the plugs and check the cylinders with a borescope.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback