Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 07-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 525xi Monaco Blue
Looking to buy used X3

Starting to look at MY 11, 12 and 13. Any input on what to look out for with each MY? Are there any common reliability issues with these units? Is 11 more prone to issues due to the first year of this body style? I know this is a broad question but when I purchased my 5 series it was the HPFP issue which steered me clear of 535s. Concerned that there might be a similar issue plaguing the X3s.
Ads by Google
Old 07-31-2013, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
Search these forums. I believe that more issues have been reported with the 11.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
The one F25 '11 issue that I recall that was never satisfactorily resolved for some people was an issue with the steering rack at low speed. Search here, and you should find a few posts on it, which will let you know what to check for.

There were probably more battery issues reported for '11s, in part as a result of the way that F25s charge the battery to less than 100%, and in part because a number of F25s were not properly taken out of Transport Mode. The bottom line is that an F25 needs to be driven a bit of distance in order to keep the battery charged, and that a lot of short trips do not do that.

Other issues that come to mind for various years were window regulators, particularly on the passenger side, and rear washer pumps going crazy (bad JBE module) on a few 13's. There have been complaints about wind noise, probably more so in the '11 and '12 models.

I'm sure that I'm forgetting something, but those are the items that come to mind. Every year has had a handful of reports of lemons, which have been eventually resolved. Every year has an odd problem that impacts one or two people, but nothing pervasive.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:52 AM

Mein Auto: Honda
I'm going to jump on this thread instead of starting my own for the same questions and more I have.
I'm also looking to by a used X3 11,12 or 13. I have some additional questions. I have heard in the past BMW had service lights that would come on and if you didn't take it to the dealer in time for oil change or other minor service and to reset them it would shut down the engine (fact or fiction?). I like to do most of the maintenance myself on my cars/motorcycles ect. And don't care for any of that stuff…. only the dealer can do that….
Any insight of me working on my own car would help. Thanks

Last edited by Don.; 08-01-2013 at 04:53 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:16 AM
On our 2nd Alpine X

Mein Auto: 06 X3/2010 MCSC
My suggestion is by the latest model with the lowest miles for the sake of warranty.
GONE>>>Sold. One of the best rides I ever owned. My 1st BMW-2006 X3 3.0 White w/blk. Prem/Nav/Sirius/Servo/Heated seats,steering/Park Dist./Xenon/Privacy.I got the auto. trans. so my wife can drive it.
Our 2nd Bimmer2014 X3 i35 Alpine/Chestnut. Nav,Prem,Tech,Cold Weather, Shades. Got the Automatic cause we had no choice
My 1st Mini-2010 PW, I got the 6 speed so my wife can't drive it. Laurel Edition Convert
Old 08-01-2013, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don. View Post
I have heard in the past BMW had service lights that would come on and if you didn't take it to the dealer in time for oil change or other minor service and to reset them it would shut down the engine (fact or fiction?).
Actually, when the oil change light comes on, if you dont take it to the dealer immediately for an oil change, the car will self destruct
Old 08-01-2013, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 06 525xi Monaco Blue
We ended up purchasing a '13 X3 28i fully loaded. Unfortunately within hrs of driving it off the lot we got a message on the rear camera malfuntioning but we still had a good image on the display. We'll take it to the dealer in time but for now that's the only problem.

Overall, really like the vehicle and hope it's fairly reliable. I have no illusions of it being Honda reliable but hope it isn't a main nightmare.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 2.8i
Looking to buy used X3

Prior to buying a 2008 X3, I owned several Honda Accords that all went well past 150k miles trouble free. The '08 was solid but had a couple nagging quality issues- nothing major but the kind of things that normally just didn't happen on a Honda.

I'm now 6k miles into my 2013 X3 2.8i and have no such feelings. Tight, comfortable, economical and quick when I want it to be.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-02-2013, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Nothing I am aware of will cause the car to shut down because of failing to respond to a service due light. However on the X5 diesel if you go run out of the urea fluid the engine will continue to run, but you will not be able to start it again when you shut it off. I assume if BMW ever decides to actually give us diesels for the X3 here in North America the same would apply.