Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Greg-- That theory could indeed be responsible for a meaningful drain. How to track it down I have no idea.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:42 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerg1 View Post
I had posted this earlier but wanted to put it out there again.
Is it possible that cycling the sleep mode (which on my SMG car means the hydraulic pump primes) drains the battery.
I find that my car comes awake many times throughout the day. For no particular reason.

Greg
AHA !!! A new suspect rears it`s ugly head....you never mentioned that it`s an SMG car (!). I would suggest pulling the fuse that controls the pump while the car is parked for hours at a time, and see if that makes a difference (or not).

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*
Old 05-31-2013, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
AHA !!! A new suspect rears it`s ugly head....you never mentioned that it`s an SMG car (!). I would suggest pulling the fuse that controls the pump while the car is parked for hours at a time, and see if that makes a difference (or not).
I did mention it in my earlier post on the 28th, however I was not thinking at the time that going in and out of sleep mode would cause the issue.
Id read somewhere that some people have cars that dont go into sleep at all. I didnt put 2+2 together about the hydraulic pump til the other day since I know when it comes awake with the hydraulic pump priming.
It could be the pump but the root of the issue may be why does it not stay in sleep mode.
Is there some switch that is hypersensitive causing it to awake.
I guess Id like to know all the items that can wake the system, if there is such list.
I still thing the FSR has something to do with it since Im confused on why after jumping the battery to start the car, the fan is running when previously I had turned it off before shutting off car.

Greg
Old 05-31-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
PS- thanks for continuing to read and post ideas. I know how much you love SMGs.

Greg
Old 05-31-2013, 12:28 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
PS- thanks for continuing to read and post ideas. I know how much you love SMGs.

Greg
Yep....I`ve come to the conclusion that SMGs are the mechanical equivalent of hemorrhoids....

Here`s another wrinkle which hasn`t been discussed yet....in an effort to cut weight, cost, and complexity, rather than installing discrete point-to-point wiring for every electrical circuit, wires are being multiplexed (assigned more than one job).
SO....the possibility exists that when one circuit (let`s say the SMG pump) cycles ON, it might also energize another co-axial circuit on that same line....

Just thinkin` out loud here....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*
Old 06-04-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Do you have any aftermarket equipment (alarm, stereo, etc.) installed in the car ?
Fast Bob,

I was in the process of replacing the FSR as Id mentioned I would just order one due to the AC being on after having to jump the battery.
Thought Id give it a shot.
Well anyway, I pulled the glove compartment and was looking around underneath and I found a lojack installed in the white shelving behind the glovebox.
It didnt look professionally installed as the wires were taped together not spliced like Id think the dealer would do.
I also notice the floor board light was hot, not on just hot. Not sure if that is anything or not. Didnt look like it was wired to the lojack.
Has anyone heard of having lojack installed on the car? I dont think its part of the alarm system that BMW would install as a factory option?

Thoughts?

Greg
Old 06-04-2013, 04:47 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Fast Bob,

I was in the process of replacing the FSR as Id mentioned I would just order one due to the AC being on after having to jump the battery.
Thought Id give it a shot.
Well anyway, I pulled the glove compartment and was looking around underneath and I found a lojack installed in the white shelving behind the glovebox.
It didnt look professionally installed as the wires were taped together not spliced like Id think the dealer would do.
I also notice the floor board light was hot, not on just hot. Not sure if that is anything or not. Didnt look like it was wired to the lojack.
Has anyone heard of having lojack installed on the car? I dont think its part of the alarm system that BMW would install as a factory option?

Thoughts?

Greg
I would say "hit the road Lojack! And don'tcha come back no more, no more"............... Iffy aftermarket alarm installations are poisonous to BMW's.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catso View Post
I would say "hit the road Lojack! And don'tcha come back no more, no more"............... Iffy aftermarket alarm installations are poisonous to BMW's.
Well I removed it while I was down there replacing the FSR.
It was tied in to something I dont know what but Im hoping that was it.
Not sure why someone would put a lojack in there but oh well.
FSR pulled out was the same as one put in new so Im not thinking that was it.
Replaced the intake boot since it had a crack so now im off to drive.

Greg
Old 06-04-2013, 06:23 PM
catso

You also may want to take a close look at your auxiliary cooling fan. They are known to fail and can continue to run for a long time after the ignition is off.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
You also may want to take a close look at your auxiliary cooling fan. They are known to fail and can continue to run for a long time after the ignition is off.
Thanks for the response.
I will perform the parasitic drain if I find im still draining the battery after today.
I will note that ive never heard any fans running after shutting down the car.
I only did the FSR because I noted that every time I had to jump the car to start after a dead battery, the AC had been switched on (or just the vent fan), even if Id turned it all off prior to shutting down the car.

Greg
Old 06-04-2013, 06:48 PM
catso

Quote:
Thanks for the response.
I will perform the parasitic drain if I find im still draining the battery after today.
I will note that ive never heard any fans running after shutting down the car.
I only did the FSR because I noted that every time I had to jump the car to start after a dead battery, the AC had been switched on (or just the vent fan), even if Id turned it all off prior to shutting down the car.

Greg
The aux fan is not fused, so it's something that can be difficult to detect. Usually they fail by not running at all, but some have actually caused fires by not shutting off.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:35 AM

Something else ive been thinking about with regards to the SMG I had posted before that I thought the car was waking up as the smg pump was priming randomly. Now Im thinking that maybe its just the pump priming randomly and not that the car is waking (no other lights come on).
Ive done some digging around and read about the SMG pump relay (salmon) on other threads. Interesting thing is I dont have one, at least not in the hood fuse box.
When they did the non-M-SMG did they locate this somewhere else?
Anyone have a photo or print of what those relays are?

Greg
Old 06-08-2013, 07:57 PM

Best I can do. Have you seen both of these?

And maybe you can see more at that site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine_Relays.gif
Views:	22
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	380919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Relays.gif
Views:	18
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	380920  
Old 06-09-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForthFast View Post
Best I can do. Have you seen both of these?

And maybe you can see more at that site.
I pulled the relay which is number 2 in the box shown in the photos.
It is the one for my car that is ABS relay (for cars with smg) is what its called so I think its dual purpuse.
Its part number and prong configuration and location match the M5 smg relay part.
Odd thing is that all the parts websites like ecstuning etc all have a different part number for what goes there and the prong configuration doesnt look like itll fit into the socket.
Im still searching but Im going to order from tischers bmw the part I have to replace.

Thanks for the inputs. Im hoping this resolves my smg pump priming issue.

Greg
Old 06-10-2013, 04:16 PM

Ok so tonight I tried to start working on the battery drain issue. got my fluke and put the leads in the appropriate connection ports.
Measured my battery voltage, right now its 12.4 at the battery.
Disconnected the negative battery lead, pushed the trunk latch so it turned off the light, pushed the door latch so it thinks the passenger door is shut, opened the glove box and removed the light.
Placed the fluke in DC amps mode, and put the leads in series across the negative terminals.
Tada, nothing. not even a flicker of amps.
Any suggestions.

Greg
Old 06-10-2013, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
Battery drain

I just bought a 2002 325i last spring and went through the battery drain issue for weeks. I tried everything you did until I found the solution. It was the blower resistor pack that controls the heater. Who would have thought, because I only read one or two threads on the subject. They are somewhat easy to replace, but you have to be a bit of a contortionist. I found that after the 16 minute vehicle shutdown period, the blower was still cycling on and off by itself, draining the battery throughout the night. I had a clue when I parked my car after a drive, turned it off, and sat and just waited and listened. If you hear the blower operating after you turn off the car you mostly need to replace the resistor pack. The component looks like some kind of Roswell spaceship technology.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:29 PM

Most common issue from way back in history on forums is the FSR fan/battery drain problem. Say ubiquitous.

Search more and you'll find plenty.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForthFast View Post
Most common issue from way back in history on forums is the FSR fan/battery drain problem. Say ubiquitous.

Search more and you'll find plenty.
Not sure who you were meaning this too.
I already replaced the FSR but to no avail.
I am looking for guidance now on why my fluke (I used 2 different ones) would read zero amps when hooked in series across the negative battery terminal to disconnected wire.
And im not talking low amps im seeing all zeros. (btw, OL is the code for too many amps on these flukes).

Thanks,

Greg
Old 06-11-2013, 11:43 AM
catso

Quote:
Not sure who you were meaning this too.
I already replaced the FSR but to no avail.
I am looking for guidance now on why my fluke (I used 2 different ones) would read zero amps when hooked in series across the negative battery terminal to disconnected wire.
And im not talking low amps im seeing all zeros. (btw, OL is the code for too many amps on these flukes).

Thanks,

Greg
I think you are using the meter incorrectly.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I think you are using the meter incorrectly.
I wish I were and it was easy to know if I were.
Based on the video in this thread im using it right on.

Greg
Old 08-04-2013, 10:17 AM

So thought I would catch everyone up who had posted or following this thread.
I finally got a fluke that worked correctly, not sure what was wrong with the other ones I had borrowed. Possibly blown fuses.
Anyway I bought a new one this weekend and with my son holding the leads across the negative terminal I started pulling fuses.
I started out at 1.2 amps if you can believe that (before sleep hit the car however). I finally got to the fuses that control the phone (which i dont have-fuse 39) and radio with all its other inputs (nav, on board monitor, etc fuses 7 and 41).
This dropped my pre-sleep amp draw to about 330 miliamps. Which I think is pretty decent. I didnt wait until sleep to see what the final was cause something was causing my car to cycle randomly while I was doing this.
Anyway, I think I know what the culprit is and im a little annoyed.
The guy who owned the car before me put an ipod connector into the back of the radio somewhere and I think his wiring job is what is causing the problem.
Here is where it gets tricky.
I pulled the radio and sure enough there is nothing tied into the back that isnt supposed to be there. His lead for the ipod goes into the drivers side footwell near the vent.
Ive looked around the sites but havent found a procedure for taking the footwell guard or that piece of the center console out to find where he made his connection.
Anyone here have any experience with this or link to a diy.

Thanks,

Greg
Old 09-11-2013, 06:05 AM

Thought I would update this thread since things have been going pretty well so far.
I ended up having to replace the SMG pump since it was the culprit in the car not shifting the neutral (different thread) so I could start it.
Had it towed to an indy shop and they did the pump, fluid change, reflash dme, new interstate battery, and troubleshooting for 1350 which I think was a good price.
Got the car back and did the battery drain troubleshooting as I mentioned before and found the Ipod connector. I was able to find the run of cable from under the dash all the way back to the connectors in the trunk where it was plugged in. A device called peripheral which plugged into the jacks.
With this unplugged and removed from the car the following no longer occur.
1)no random smg pump priming
2)no battery drain
3)convertible top does not stall going up
4)windows always return to up position when door shuts (that half inch feature)

I suspect that the drain caused by the device contributed to all the above issues including the failure of the smg pump.
Now that there is a new battery and smg and no drain the car has a new life-shifts are clean-starts are effortless-seems to have a little more umph to its purpose.
Thanks for all the responses and following.
Now im off to find out how to remove the dash so I can fix the AC flap since its sticking.

Greg
Old 09-11-2013, 09:27 PM

take lots of pictures when the dash comes apart so we can see please!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DashOff.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	396419  
Old 09-17-2013, 05:35 AM

If I end up doing this myself I will take a lot of photos.
I was hoping someone had done this before and had some step by step procedures with photos.
Will have to keep searching, and quote getting.
I do want folks to learn from the hassles I endured in my quests.

Greg
Old 09-17-2013, 07:22 AM
catso

Quote:
If I end up doing this myself I will take a lot of photos.
I was hoping someone had done this before and had some step by step procedures with photos.
Will have to keep searching, and quote getting.
I do want folks to learn from the hassles I endured in my quests.

Greg
"Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em" Some projects can be a little overwhelming. Good luck, whichever way it goes.