Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-03-2012, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i 2007
Help sunroof problems and already tried to initialized it

i have a e90 2007 328i and sunroof wont open or close nor move at all. I read that you have to reinitialize the sunroof but that still wont work. I dont have warranty anymore and dont have time to take it in. Is there anything else i can do to check what is wrong with it or do i just have to take it in. Any help would be great im thinking i might just have to take it in worried about how much it would cost its just a love and hate relationship with my BMW
Ads by Google
Old 07-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmejia30 View Post
i have a e90 2007 328i and sunroof wont open or close nor move at all. I read that you have to reinitialize the sunroof but that still wont work. I dont have warranty anymore and dont have time to take it in. Is there anything else i can do to check what is wrong with it or do i just have to take it in. Any help would be great im thinking i might just have to take it in worried about how much it would cost its just a love and hate relationship with my BMW
[Click Here]....then [Click Here]

Parts cost next t'nothing.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 07-03-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Well, if you've tried everything and NOTHING happens, first place to look would be the fuse panel to see if the one for the sunroof is blown.

Now, if you find the fuse is blown and replace it, things may improve but you still haven't answered WHY it blew. However, you'll be that much further down the problem solving curve.

FWIW,
George

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 07-03-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Well, if you've tried everything and NOTHING happens, first place to look would be the fuse panel to see if the one for the sunroof is blown.

Now, if you find the fuse is blown and replace it, things may improve but you still haven't answered WHY it blew. However, you'll be that much further down the problem solving curve.

FWIW,
George
Thanx a lot bro i checked my fuse panel turns out that i was missing a fuse what a relief fix it and all is well. Better than a fuse being blown out cause that would've meant bigger problems..
Old 07-03-2012, 02:10 PM

Hey, happy to help. But, it does seem rather odd that the fuse was totally missing.

Assuming you're not the first owner of the car, has the sunroof ever worked since you purchased it?

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 07-03-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Hey, happy to help. But, it does seem rather odd that the fuse was totally missing.

Assuming you're not the first owner of the car, has the sunroof ever worked since you purchased it?
yea not the first owner got the car with the sunroof not working only problem i had with the car everything else is working fine
Old 07-03-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
yea not the first owner got the car with the sunroof not working only problem i had with the car everything else is working fine
OK, if it came that way with a missing fuse, then the person who owned it previously removed it for a reason.

Could be a number of things. Could be a wiring fault (something overheating), but typically that just results in a string of blown fuses. Could be a "opened but wouldn't always close" problem, so the person disabled it. Could be a "opened by itself at night" problem, although that's usually a fob problem.

Hopefully, someone else on the board may chime in with potential reasons the fuse was removed by the prior owner. You may want to do some hunting around before just leaving the fuse in. Someone took it out for a reason, and you may want to control when / where / how you find out what the reason was.

George

Old 07-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Wow. There is no way I would have purchased the car without knowing what the issue was. You could have had a very large repair bill. Didn't bother with a pre-purchase inspection either, huh?

Keep Right, Except to Pass

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune - I like it!
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 07-03-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
OK, if it came that way with a missing fuse, then the person who owned it previously removed it for a reason.

Could be a number of things. Could be a wiring fault (something overheating), but typically that just results in a string of blown fuses. Could be a "opened but wouldn't always close" problem, so the person disabled it. Could be a "opened by itself at night" problem, although that's usually a fob problem.

Hopefully, someone else on the board may chime in with potential reasons the fuse was removed by the prior owner. You may want to do some hunting around before just leaving the fuse in. Someone took it out for a reason, and you may want to control when / where / how you find out what the reason was.

George
George you been a great help the thing was the car was a present so i was surprised with it after reading your concerns my parents gave me the number to their friend who sold it to them he had changed the actuaters rights before selling the car to my parents cause the doors were all locked and it was the mechanics who prob mess with the fuse panel prob took it to a cheap place the fuse that was actually missing was still in the glove compartment. The previous owner is a really close friend so he assured me that if anything electrical problems the car had with the sunroof he would pay for it. Your right tho i wouldnt buy a car first with out a previous inspection but hey your not going to complain when the car is a present right? I didnt ask him first why the sunroof didnt open because i didnt know who the previous owner was my parents wanted to keep it a surprise but after reading your concerns they gave in and told me. Lol I know what a mess hu but like i said it was a present but just to be safe its in my garage so if i have any problems i wont be worrying about it at night. My parents are old timers so i cant blame them for not getting a previous inspection.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
So the fuse fell out, escaped the enclosure; jumped right outta the car!

Stranger things have happened. Never the less, if an intermittent problem occurs, you'll know why the fuse's on vacation - try relays next. They're typically intermittent until failure.

Bargain deal? If relays, might be a steal!

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 07-03-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
George you been a great help the thing was the car was a present so i was surprised with it after reading your concerns my parents gave me the number to their friend who sold it to them he had changed the actuaters rights before selling the car to my parents cause the doors were all locked and it was the mechanics who prob mess with the fuse panel prob took it to a cheap place the fuse that was actually missing was still in the glove compartment. The previous owner is a really close friend so he assured me that if anything electrical problems the car had with the sunroof he would pay for it. Your right tho i wouldnt buy a car first with out a previous inspection but hey your not going to complain when the car is a present right? I didnt ask him first why the sunroof didnt open because i didnt know who the previous owner was my parents wanted to keep it a surprise but after reading your concerns they gave in and told me. Lol I know what a mess hu but like i said it was a present but just to be safe its in my garage so if i have any problems i wont be worrying about it at night. My parents are old timers so i cant blame them for not getting a previous inspection.
Ah, if that's the case (you know the prior owner and the sunroof was fine for him), then your guess that the mechanic who fixed the door actuators pulled it could well be it. If so, you're home free. Keep an eye on it for the immediate future.

Should the sunroof go south, there's a manual close screw located in the roof panel (details in the manual). In case of problems, you can pull the fuse and wind it closed by hand (using an Allen key or, if your car is an older version using the tool in the trunk kit).

FYI, most cases of "the windows rolled down and the roof opened by itself" trace back to the unlock button on the fob getting pressed and held by something else in your pocket. Mine took place while moving my wife's car in a rainstorm. Fortunately, I saw it happen and got everything closed quickly.

Nice present! Thank your parents profusely. And, to be honest, if I was buying a car from a friend, I may blow off the inspection as well. Knowing the source is often a good way to go. Also, welcome to the Fest and you need to get some pictures up as an introduction!

Best regards,
George

Last edited by Zooks527; 07-03-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325 manual
what is the fuse number that control the sunroof?