Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-04-2013, 08:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Cradle vs Console USB Port?

If I use a cable to connect either our iPhone 4s or iPhone 5 into the console USB port, will that give us the same functionality of using the cradle?

My wife and I both use Pandora and it would be nice (and a lot safer) to control Pandora through the iDrive controller rather than from the iPhone screen. I just don't want to spend $250 or so each for the necessary adapters if the adjacent USB port will provide the same functionality. I briefly tried just plugging my iPhone 5 in to the console USB port but did not get any control through iDrive. I may have not done something correctly as I did not spend a lot of time playing with it since blue tooth works so well except for having Pandora control.
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2013, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Do you have BMW Apps (6NR)? Do you have the BMW Connected app on your iPhone?
Old 08-04-2013, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
Do you have BMW Apps (6NR)? Do you have the BMW Connected app on your iPhone?
Yes to both questions.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
It should work fine with the USB cable. Start Pandora on your iPhone, plug in the USB cable, and once the app connects to your X3 you should find Pandora as one of the Radio options. You'll have album art, just as you do on the iPhone.

The only thing that the cradle will get you is video on the 4S (but not on the 5), a different iTunes interface, and allegedly access to an antenna that will give you better signal strength.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: X3
another convenience factor with the cradle is the phone is nicely tucked away and no wires to hook up and it free's the USB port for more music on a USB stick. So the question is is it worth the money for that convenience. I like the idea of snapping the phone into the cradle but they haven't developed the cradle yet for the Iphone5. And it looks like there's a new iPhone getting ready to hit the market...not sure if the size will be the same or any other features on it.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3

I think BMW needs to rethink the cradle business. If it takes a year to develop a cradle for a new iPhone, and a new one comes out every year, I would ask "why bother". I can't see buying one for my 1 year old iPhone 5 that I will likely upgrade in another year to the latest and greatest.

That doesn't even count all the other brands and models out there. If there is a real benefit to the cradle, then they need a more generic solution. Other wise, free up the space in the console.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-05-2013, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
The only thing that the cradle will get you is video on the 4S (but not on the 5), a different iTunes interface, and allegedly access to an antenna that will give you better signal strength.
Not true for the MY 2014 X3s, both the video output and interface have been disabled. So the only benefit now is the external antenna but depending on where the OP lives that may not be necessary.
2014 X3 28i - Deep Sea Blue Metallic - Black 'Nevada' Leather - Brushed Aluminum - Cold Weather - Driver Assistance with Top View - Lighting - Premium - Technology - Satin Aluminum Roof rails - Rear manual side window shades
Old 08-05-2013, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I think BMW needs to rethink the cradle business. If it takes a year to develop a cradle for a new iPhone, and a new one comes out every year, I would ask "why bother". I can't see buying one for my 1 year old iPhone 5 that I will likely upgrade in another year to the latest and greatest.

That doesn't even count all the other brands and models out there. If there is a real benefit to the cradle, then they need a more generic solution. Other wise, free up the space in the console.

Well said. It's a waste of time and money if BMW can't come out with something useful in a timely manner.

2008 535xi: now in lease heaven
Old 08-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Vlado

Mein Auto: BMW X3 30d

To: Cadman50: the only disadvantage is the phone cover (if you use one). You have to take it off and on whenever you plug your phone in/ take it out.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrusnak779 View Post
To: Cadman50: the only disadvantage is the phone cover (if you use one). You have to take it off and on whenever you plug your phone in/ take it out.

Ah yes....i don't have a iPhone yet but I know what you mean. That definitely is a problem. I'm waiting to see what this new iPhone might be about.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:16 AM
smooth like butter

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i | '14 F15 X5
Can anyone here confirm whether the cradle can access your iPhone address book (without using bluetooth)? The benefit of the cradle in this instance, if true, might be faster loading of address book than via bluetooth.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inline Sixer View Post
Can anyone here confirm whether the cradle can access your iPhone address book (without using bluetooth)? The benefit of the cradle in this instance, if true, might be faster loading of address book than via bluetooth.
But you still need the Bluetooth to make the call right?!
2014 X3 28i - Deep Sea Blue Metallic - Black 'Nevada' Leather - Brushed Aluminum - Cold Weather - Driver Assistance with Top View - Lighting - Premium - Technology - Satin Aluminum Roof rails - Rear manual side window shades