Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-04-2013, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325CI
Rain causing electrical issues with my 325ci, any recommendations

I got caught in a freak rainstorm today with the roof down, by the time I got the roof up there was a lot of rain that had entered the car. On the drive home the horn started going off on it's own, I removed the fuse for it a onto used home. Once at home all the lights stayed on after stopping the car. I then proceeded to disconnecting the battery and used a blow dryer to try and dry the dashboard components, I now have a fan running in the car to dry it out as well.

any recommendations as to what else I can do and what could be the potential damage this may have caused?

Thanks,

Pierre

Last edited by Claudia325CI; 08-04-2013 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Misspelled
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2013, 05:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
It sounds like the steering column still had water in there- horn n key switch. Dry out is the way to go. Might have to disassemble some of the column but give it a little time first with the fan etc.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 08-05-2013, 05:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 325CI
Thank you I will continue the drying process and hope for the best.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
If you have access to a garage, I would try putting it in there and either rent or borrow a dehumidifier. I have one in my basement, and it makes this otherwise damp area completely dry. If that is not possible, go to your local big box store, and buy a couple of containers of damp rid. It is a moisture absorbing substance. Put it in a pan or such to prevent possible spillage on the passenger and driver side floor, close the car up, and let it work. You will be amazed by the amount of moisture it collects. Good luck, from a fellow Vert owner!
Old 08-13-2013, 12:23 PM
Stan

Mein Auto: 1998 328IC
HMMMMM water leaks are pretty hard to identify. It's just a matter of trial and error - first identify where the water is coming from generally. Then start investigating rubber seals and body sealer lines. Sometimes the rubber seals can dry out, crack, and shrink, allowing water to enter. Has your car ever had body work in the area of the leak? That's always a good place to start since many shops are pretty sloppy in the way they seal body panels.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:15 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray993C4 View Post
HMMMMM water leaks are pretty hard to identify. It's just a matter of trial and error - first identify where the water is coming from generally. Then start investigating rubber seals and body sealer lines. Sometimes the rubber seals can dry out, crack, and shrink, allowing water to enter. Has your car ever had body work in the area of the leak? That's always a good place to start since many shops are pretty sloppy in the way they seal body panels.
Reading Is Fundamental, Sparky....

The OP describes being caught in a torrential downpour with the convertible top down....

(You must have missed that part, eh ? )

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 08-13-2013, 01:16 PM
Stan

Mein Auto: 1998 328IC
Hahaha oops - do much for multi tasking