Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-29-2013, 12:25 AM

Mein Auto: Ford Mustang
335i vs 335is Air Conditioning

I am looking at getting a convertible 335i and have been test driving a few used ones. The biggest issue I've had has been that the air conditioning has seemed a bit weak on the 2010 and 2011 models. I live in Texas and am a bit concerned about this.

A dealer I spoke with said the convertible cools a little differently than the standard coupe. I found a 335is which says it has a larger cooling fan, but I wonder if this is just a cooler for the engine and not applicable to the air conditioning in the car.

Can anyone let me know if the 335is has a better air conditioning unit?

What have your experiences been? Any issues with air conditioning in the heat versus other cars?

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 07-29-2013, 01:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335is coupe
I have a 2011 335is coupe , live in Texas and the air is cold, since no problems have not researched the cooling fan but think it is only for engine also extra cooling for transmission.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:43 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
No problems in the NC summer, don't think the A/C systems are different but the 335is does have more overall cooling capacity.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 07-29-2013, 08:41 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to vldavis
Mein Auto: BMW 335is Convertible
My air conditioner is very cool

Every 335 I have test driven has had very cool air blowing out of the vents. I usually have to turn the temperature up further than on my other car which is a Saab 9-5. I recently bought a 335is and the cooling is the same. I set the temperature higher than any recent car I have owned with automatice climate control and that includes two Corvettes, my Saab, an Avalanche and a Trailblazer.

Vernon
Old 07-29-2013, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: Ford Mustang
Thanks for answering. Much appreciated!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
my 2008 e93 throws a ton of cold air - never wanted for more even at 105 degrees last week.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:59 AM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumotiga View Post
A dealer I spoke with said the convertible cools a little differently than the standard coupe.

I believe what the dealer may be referring to is that when the top is put down on the E93, if the A/C is running it goes into a different mode where it automatically reduces the fan speed. This can be manually overridden. I have absolutely no problem with the A/C being cool enough in my 328i, even on typical Houston summer days of 100+ with 90% humidity.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 07-29-2013, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Any issues with air conditioning in the heat versus other cars?

335i works great, 110 heat....but I gotta complaint!

Top up, climate's well controlled. But top down in warm weather, stickin' to my leather! Now, I don't sweat any more than most of ya'll. The issue: NO PERF SEAT VENTILATION

'Sup with that? Some -- >SNIFF< -- say that BMW's 3 is entry level luxury.....who are they talking to? Not me, leaning forward in the sun to evap & cool my damp shirt. That sucks!
Old 07-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
I believe what the dealer may be referring to is that when the top is put down on the E93, if the A/C is running it goes into a different mode where it automatically reduces the fan speed. This can be manually overridden. I have absolutely no problem with the A/C being cool enough in my 328i, even on typical Houston summer days of 100+ with 90% humidity.
BMW has a very sophisticated HVAC system which controls towards different purposes when the top is down. The compressor, condensor and evaporator are operationally the same as on non cabrios, but the way the air is heated and cooled and then distributed and at what speed are all optimized for top down conditions when the top is down (as you posted).
There was an excellent oem article posted recently which described exactly what happens and when. It was buried in among links to articles having to do with the various engines. Interesting reading for those who want to know just how complex the system is.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
335i works great, 110 heat....but I gotta complaint!

Top up, climate's well controlled. But top down in warm weather, stickin' to my leather! Now, I don't sweat any more than most of ya'll. The issue: NO PERF SEAT VENTILATION

'Sup with that? Some -- >SNIFF< -- say that BMW's 3 is entry level luxury.....who are they talking to? Not me, leaning forward in the sun to evap & cool my damp shirt. That sucks!
Deleted. Saw the problem was only with top stowed.

Last edited by DSXMachina; 07-29-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
BMW has a very sophisticated HVAC system which controls towards different purposes when the top is down. The compressor, condensor and evaporator are operationally the same as on non cabrios, but the way the air is heated and cooled and then distributed and at what speed are all optimized for top down conditions when the top is down (as you posted).
There was an excellent oem article posted recently which described exactly what happens and when. It was buried in among links to articles having to do with the various engines. Interesting reading for those who want to know just how complex the system is.
Well, man, find the link and post it!! Inquiring minds want to know.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 07-29-2013, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: e93
Quote:
I am looking at getting a convertible 335i and have been test driving a few used ones.
Were the cars you drove stored outside? I just bought a 2010 335i vert and when I test drove it the car had been sitting outside and the A/C system seemed to suck. The reality was the whole car was just heat soaked. Now that I keep it in the garage the A/C system seems great.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Heard Carrier makes a fine auto
Old 07-29-2013, 07:49 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Well, man, find the link and post it!! Inquiring minds want to know.
LOL, I was hoping Nordic Kat and her steel trap memory would have posted it by now! I have to go back and do a search if I can recall a key word*. If.
However, Kat, being one of those southern Steel (Trap Mind) Magnolias we hear about might beat me to it.

*Does no good to enter any HVAC terms because it was a random title stuck in with a lot of links to BMW technical articles about their various engines. Anyone?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:04 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
LOL, I was hoping Nordic Kat and her steel trap memory would have posted it by now! I have to go back and do a search if I can recall a key word*. If.
However, Kat, being one of those southern Steel (Trap Mind) Magnolias we hear about might beat me to it.

*Does no good to enter any HVAC terms because it was a random title stuck in with a lot of links to BMW technical articles about their various engines. Anyone?
Found it!

http://prodcds.bmwuniversity.com/lib...ctions.qxp.pdf

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793

Last edited by Nordic_Kat; 07-30-2013 at 05:01 AM. Reason: better information
Old 07-30-2013, 05:30 AM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
That's the one. You are awesome!
Old 07-30-2013, 06:29 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
That's the one. You are awesome!

Sometimes GoogleFu just needs a good night's rest.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:10 AM

Mein Auto: E93 335is 2013
sorry for thread jack but does anybody else get a stuffy feeling in their verts? my 2013 vert is in a garage or somewhere under in a garage and when i get in and sit still i just get all hot and cabin feels all stuffy. i'm super glad my A/C works well and is super cold...
Old 08-05-2013, 11:00 AM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
my AC runs perfectly fine on my E92 LCI